Encyclopedia Britannica Update

Page 10 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
This post has 336 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 1014
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:37 PM

Paul Strickert:

We're all adults here, so, yes, I can wait a bit longer.  You've been a model of candor, Ben.  I appreciate it.

Well said ...  This is going to be great!  Really looking forward to it.

Smile

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:43 PM

Robert Harner:

Denise:

- The DVD full version was a series of DVDs you inserted per the alphabet (someone can clarify)

The Britannica 2013 Ultimate comes on one DVD. The Kitchen Sink install option puts all on the HD including 3 encyclopedias, interactive tutorials (language, math, ect), dictionaries, thesaurus, atlas, . . .    A little under 5 gig on the HD.

That's interesting. I suspect the Noet version will compare favorably content-wise, not to mention the integration with Logos.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 1:12 PM

Bill Moore:

Robert Harner:

Denise:

- The DVD full version was a series of DVDs you inserted per the alphabet (someone can clarify)

The Britannica 2013 Ultimate comes on one DVD. The Kitchen Sink install option puts all on the HD including 3 encyclopedias, interactive tutorials (language, math, ect), dictionaries, thesaurus, atlas, . . .    A little under 5 gig on the HD.

That's interesting. I suspect the Noet version will compare favorably content-wise, not to mention the integration with Logos.

I would doubt that unless things have changed many of the larger articles are missing.. They are not released for third party products. Now that said NOET has worked hard to secure the artless most important to philosophy and religion. But this is just reminded it will not be complete if this had been true partnership it would have been complete but unfortunately it is a licensing of Brittanica content and the best of it is not available for licensing.

-Dan

Posts 4184
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 11:05 PM

Uhm 83000? 80,000 or 99,000 plus.... Hmmm....

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 244
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 4 2016 5:20 AM

I think that the 99k/20k media numbers are for the entire collection: EBNE + Compton's.  A little further down on the page, it breaks it down into EBNE 80k/15k media, Compton's 20k/5k media.

Posts 315
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2016 2:25 PM

Check out the logos store. The release date has finally been posted hooray!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2016 2:40 PM

09/14/2016

Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection by Encyclopaedia Britannica

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 957
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 10:57 AM

What are your feelings about this?  Is it worth the investment?  Just wondering what everyone is thinking.

Posts 1401
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 11:49 AM

Michael Kinch:
 Is it worth the investment?

IMO, abso-stinking-lutely :-)

Logos 9  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 11 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 3:28 PM

While NOT COMPLETE this is an important work and while worth having. When you have an article from Britannica you can be sure it is well researched and of the highest quality. Wikipedia is good and fairly reliable but there is occasional miss information in it. Now WIKIPEDIA is improved all the time but there are people who have nothing better to do than mess up things or believe in things so strongly as to wish to make an article conform to their prejudices now again these things usually get repaired quickly it can take awhile.

-Dan 

Posts 58
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 4:38 PM

Michael Kinch:

What are your feelings about this?  Is it worth the investment?  Just wondering what everyone is thinking.

Yes, considering it'll probably be $400 after it comes out of pre-pub. $200 is a steal. EB is a reliable resource and you can be sure that it is well researched. It'll be good to have a standard Encyclopedia alongside all of the biblical encyclopedias we have. 

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 6:59 PM

Dan Francis:

While NOT COMPLETE this is an important work and while worth having. When you have an article from Britannica you can be sure it is well researched and of the highest quality. Wikipedia is good and fairly reliable but there is occasional miss information in it. Now WIKIPEDIA is improved all the time but there are people who have nothing better to do than mess up things or believe in things so strongly as to wish to make an article conform to their prejudices now again these things usually get repaired quickly it can take awhile.

-Dan 

Well said, Dan, about Wikipedia. The articles, while usually helpful, tend to be of uneven quality.  Britannica, by contrast, probably holds its authors to higher standards. 

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2016 3:37 PM

I got in at $100 so it's an even bigger steal for me. :-)

Perfect timing. I'm in a position where I will be needing this very soon, and I am thrilled when it downloads. I can't wait!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2016 4:26 PM

And of course, we're talking less than 100 hours or 6,000 minutes (if you only have an egg timer available, turn it 2,000 times).

As I understand it, Bellingham has alerted the residents (but not the coal shipper) to not be alarmed with dimming lights, as Britannica begins shipping from Lexham City Central.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 938
LogosEmployee

Hi all,

Over the past week or so, we've had a few people test the EBNE resource to make sure we had set accurate expectations about the product. In light of their feedback, I think it's worth making a few clarifying comments to ensure that everyone knows what they are getting and has accurate expectations.

In the wake of the fallout from the initial product we shipped, EB offered to give us an additional set of articles to make a product that better met our customer's original expectations. EB offered the following:

1. Every article under 1,200 words (which is ~81,000). For this group, we took the whole lot.
  2. A select number of articles over 1,200 words (there are over 2,600 articles total in this category, we were able to get ~550).

In total, we ended up including a majority of EB's total article count (in addition to the initial Compton's articles).

We tried to be clear in the various forum posts that the additional articles we were creating would be a subset of the complete Encyclopedia Britannica. I've looked back at some of the posts and it looks like we did a fairly good job at that. That said, I do have a concern that we might have not been clear enough about what that subset would be.

As I said, we were able to license ~550 of the articles above 1,200 words (I've attached an Excel file listing these articles and their respective word counts). This led to some strange gaps. For example, we were able to include articles on WWI, WWI, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Rome, but didn't have the option to include articles on Martin Luther or C.S. Lewis.

That said, paired with Compton's you will have fairly comprehensive coverage on one level or another.

A second issue I'd like to clarify regards the media portion of the resource. Many of the quotes referenced in Denise's post above come from statements made before we shipped the initial product. After having heard feedback from those who reviewed the media, I'm afraid that not all of it lives up to the claim of 'hi res'. Some of it is great, some of it not-so-great. There's not much we can do about the quality of the media as we have the best quality that EBNE has to offer. That said, our initial communication definitely oversold the media and I want to reset everyone's expectations.

Finally, a question was raised about the Timeline. As with all our resources, dates within the resources link out to the timeline. However, not every event listed in a resource is added to the timeline (this is the case for resources other than EBNE). This means that while you can jump from the resource to the timeline and from the timeline to many other resources, you can't necessarily jump from every resource to every other resource by way of the timeline. I'm concerned that the way we talked about the timeline on the product page and in other copy indicated that every event from EB would be added to the timeline so that you could go to the EBNE from any other resource by way of the timeline. That isn't the way the timeline feature will work with EBNE.

I still think this is a great resource that will add value to your library. I just want to make sure that you know what you're getting so that you have accurate expectations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Senior Director, Content Products

Posts 1181
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 3:30 PM

Ben, I appreciate the clarification. Can you verify that, even for those of us who have had Compton's, our 30 day return clock starts tomorrow when the real encyclopedia ships? 

Posts 938
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 3:32 PM

Justin Gatlin:

Ben, I appreciate the clarification. Can you verify that, even for those of us who have had Compton's, our 30 day return clock starts tomorrow when the real encyclopedia ships? 

Yes, that is correct.

Senior Director, Content Products

Posts 445
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:06 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Hi all,

Over the past week or so, we've had a few people test the EBNE resource to make sure we had set accurate expectations about the product. In light of their feedback, I think it's worth making a few clarifying comments to ensure that everyone knows what they are getting and has accurate expectations.

In the wake of the fallout from the initial product we shipped, EB offered to give us an additional set of articles to make a product that better met our customer's original expectations. EB offered the following:

1. Every article under 1,200 words (which is ~81,000). For this group, we took the whole lot.
  2. A select number of articles over 1,200 words (there are over 2,600 articles total in this category, we were able to get ~550).

In total, we ended up including a majority of EB's total article count (in addition to the initial Compton's articles).

We tried to be clear in the various forum posts that the additional articles we were creating would be a subset of the complete Encyclopedia Britannica. I've looked back at some of the posts and it looks like we did a fairly good job at that. That said, I do have a concern that we might have not been clear enough about what that subset would be.

As I said, we were able to license ~550 of the articles above 1,200 words (I've attached an Excel file listing these articles and their respective word counts). This led to some strange gaps. For example, we were able to include articles on WWI, WWI, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Rome, but didn't have the option to include articles on Martin Luther or C.S. Lewis.

That said, paired with Compton's you will have fairly comprehensive coverage on one level or another.

A second issue I'd like to clarify regards the media portion of the resource. Many of the quotes referenced in Denise's post above come from statements made before we shipped the initial product. After having heard feedback from those who reviewed the media, I'm afraid that not all of it lives up to the claim of 'hi res'. Some of it is great, some of it not-so-great. There's not much we can do about the quality of the media as we have the best quality that EBNE has to offer. That said, our initial communication definitely oversold the media and I want to reset everyone's expectations.

Finally, a question was raised about the Timeline. As with all our resources, dates within the resources link out to the timeline. However, not every event listed in a resource is added to the timeline (this is the case for resources other than EBNE). This means that while you can jump from the resource to the timeline and from the timeline to many other resources, you can't necessarily jump from every resource to every other resource by way of the timeline. I'm concerned that the way we talked about the timeline on the product page and in other copy indicated that every event from EB would be added to the timeline so that you could go to the EBNE from any other resource by way of the timeline. That isn't the way the timeline feature will work with EBNE.

I still think this is a great resource that will add value to your library. I just want to make sure that you know what you're getting so that you have accurate expectations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ben, thanks for clarifying and also to your fellow Logos employees for working on such a massive, challenging project. It still sounds like EBNE will offer excellent value along with Compton's. Overall, I'm initially impressed with the coverage of the 578 articles that you attached to your post, the top two being well over 100,000 words and many more being in the 1,000s and 10,000s of words. They seem well suited for Noet.

By the way, according to Microsoft Word, your post is 587 words or 1,174 words if doubled (just under 1,200). That helps give a sense for the upper limit on the ~81,000 articles. (I quoted your post for illustrative purposes, also in case you substantially edit it.)

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:13 PM

Hmmm, this sounds like another case of "need to lower the bar".  Disappointed in the continual downward spiral of this product.   I wish I could plot the expectations vs reality over time.  I think they are still very far apart.

I'm glad this is paid for at $100.  Not even sure its worth the $100.  Clearly $200 or $400 is a no-buy.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:18 PM

Ben,

when you say you "didn't have the option to include articles on Martin Luther or C.S. Lewis.", what does this mean?

I jumped on this very late and now feel like pulling the plug because it won't have articles on significant Christian historic figures or events?

Page 10 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS