Base package suggestions? (May be in the wrong thread)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Andy Devine | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 17 2015 6:18 AM

I am looking to get Logos 6, and I don't have a lot of resources from previous Logos version aside from the basic free domain stuff and some lesser commentaries.  I am really looking to build my own library with various commentaries as I teach through different books...but I am not sure what would be the cheapest route...any suggestions?

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 6:31 AM

Personally, I would recommend you buy a base package, even if you mostly just want commentaries. That's because without a base package you'll be missing out on much of the tools that make Logos 6 great.

I've written quite a detailed Buyers' Guide to Logos 6 base packages. That's probably the best place for you to start, but feel free to come back with more questions. No doubt others will chip in with their opinions. Budget is a pretty crucial question, though, as is a basic understanding of your theological persuasion. Smile

http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/documents/logos-6-buyers-guide/

Posts 1454
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 6:34 AM

Welcome to the forum Andy. You can follow this link to Logos 6 buyers guide which Mark Barnes created. 

PS: Mark already got ahead of me :)

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9
Andy Devine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 9:08 AM

Well, what I am wondering is what would be the best base package to get most of the essential logos 6 functions with minimal books, so I can just build my own library?  Sorry if I was not clear earlier. :)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 9:32 AM

Andy Devine:

Well, what I am wondering is what would be the best base package to get most of the essential logos 6 functions with minimal books, so I can just build my own library?  Sorry if I was not clear earlier. :)

Get the cross-grade and buy whatever books you want.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 22633
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 9:36 AM

George Somsel:

Andy Devine:

Get the cross-grade and buy whatever books you want.

And to expand on what George said slightly - there are three different crossgrade options each of which provides different levels of functionality and resources.

They can be compared at https://www.logos.com/compare/Logos%20Crossgrade 

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 9:37 AM

Andy Devine:
what would be the best base package to get most of the essential logos 6 functions with minimal books

This would still be too subjective for any of us to answer. The best solution is for you to follow Mark's buyer's guide to see which functions are essential "to you" and which ones you can do without. There are too many factors for us to steer you to a specific one. Gold comes with all features, and everyone less than Gold loses some features that many of us would consider "essential".

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 9:43 AM

Graham and George are right about the cross-grade option. But there are certain base package resources that are so heavily marked down that it is a serious loss if you end up having to buy that resource separate later. You'll certainly get some things included with a package that you'll probably never use much, but some other things that you would get, you'd probably not realize how useful they are until you have them.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 10:14 AM

Andy Devine:

It's not really as simple as that because a base package might include many or all of the books you want. If so, you'd be better off getting the base package. So either you'll need to give us more information for better recommendations, or have a look through my guide to see what's available.

For example, if you're pretty interested in the New American Commentary Series, you'd be mad not to buy Logos Silver (which includes NAC), because that's cheaper than buying Logos Starter and adding the commentary set later — and you a few hundred extra resources!

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 11:21 AM

Andy Devine:

Feature Crossgrade will get you all of the datasets (not considering Logos NOW), however, if you are inquiring about a base package, look at Gold or above to begin with. Gold is the minimum base package that will get you all of the datasets.

It is best to look at the maximum base package that you may need (considering future needs) and buy that, than to get to that point through multiple upgrades.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 11:32 AM

Mark Barnes:
http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/documents/logos-6-buyers-guide/

Good guide are you planning on updating it now that the Orthodox packages are out?

-Dan

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 12:11 PM

Dan Francis:
Good guide are you planning on updating it now that the Orthodox packages are out?

No, I'm not, sorry. I already exclude Verbum and SDA because (a) Most people who are going to buy Verbum/SDA aren't going to consider one of the other options, and (b) I don't know enough about Catholicism or SDA to make sensible judgements. That's doubly true for Orthodox.

Posts 28696
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 2:12 PM

My rule of thumb on Catholic/Orthodox packages follows my rule of thumb for publishers (taught me by an Eastern rite Catholic priest).

• I need the Catholic materials for theology with the Orthodox materials added for the Eastern rite and apophatic theology.
  • I need the Orthodox and Anglican materials for all things liturgical
  • I need the Lutheran Bible study resources
  • To which I add Oriental Orthodox materials for personal interest.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS