Huge Performance Issues

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Bo Pritchard | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 15 2010 3:10 PM

I have a Dell Vostro Laptop with Intel Core2 Duo CPU  @ 1.40GHz running Vista™ Business using 4GB of RAM.

Straight out of the box when I go to search a passage from the home page there is a 2-3 minute delay before Logos responds to my mouse clicks again.  And from then on, each time I switch a tab in a panel the application goes to black and displays (Not Responding) in the title bar for a 5-10 seconds before returning to normal.

Simply scrolling through the bible pane using the down arrow takes 2-3 seconds of response for each down arrow push.

What am I missing here?

Posts 9521
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:19 PM

Bo,

Welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately many people have discovered Logos 4 taxes their computer as no other software. One of the most demanding ways to search a passage is what you have done from the home page. I simply don't use that method, but choose to open my Logos program not to the Home Page but to my last open layout. If you want to open to the Home page then click the Home Page icon at the upper left to toggle the Home Page off and open to the Layout view when you are ready to study.

You can set up various layouts to suit the type of studying you are doing. One of those might mimic the Logos Home Page passage study layout if you choose. Using the Guides menu I choose whether I want a Passage Guide, a Word Study Guide, or an Exegetical Guide to open for my use. Generally I have a few Bibles open, a linked commentary, and a few other resources for the study I am doing.

Check the Logos web site on the Training page for the video tutorials to see how to use Layouts.

One of the biggest culprits causing slow-downs in Logos 4 are the tools that open in the right margin of your layout. Cited By, Information, Power Look-Up, and Explorer are constantly trying to stay up with the resource you have open and the place it is open to. That maxes out your CPU pretty quickly.

Your CPU is not bad but on the low-end for speed. You can get Logos to run acceptably, but you may have to adapt your study habits for this.

I hope you won't get disillusioned but will learn to make good use of the power of Logos 4 on your computer. Let us know how you get along.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:45 PM

And just to make sure, L4 has finished indexing right?  If not, that will really slow you down.

Posts 6
Bo Pritchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:18 PM

yep, indexing is all done...

Posts 6
Bo Pritchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:23 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Bo,

... I simply don't use that method, but choose to open my Logos program not to the Home Page but to my last open layout.. .

How do I set Logos to automatically open to my layout instead of the home page?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:34 PM

If you click "customize" (lower left hand corner of homepage) you can uncheck "Show Homepage at Startup" Logos will now load the layout you had when you closed it last.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS