Just A Thought: Bookaholics?

Page 5 of 6 (109 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 108 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 8425
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 9:22 AM

Michael Childs:
O, Lord, I thank Thee that I am not like other men!  (or women, too.)

Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 4:19 PM

Thanks, great sight. Logos or someone, find a sever to handle this. What a great joy to have? CM

Posts 1306
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 12:38 PM

Old fashioned libraries are not yet obsolete ...

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/05/finland-has-just-given-itself-a-100th-birthday-present-a-library 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 90
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 12:55 PM

DAL:

Cool! Maybe they should do a Logos Ultimate Base Package 👍😁👌

DAL

This was like prophecy working.

Posts 5725
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 2:26 PM

Matt Hamrick:

DAL:

Cool! Maybe they should do a Logos Ultimate Base Package 👍😁👌

DAL

This was like prophecy working.

All I can say is, “I’m not a prophet or the son of a prophet...” (Amos 7:14) 👍😁👌 

DAL

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:48 AM

Hi Gao, funny.

From my perspective:

Different believers have different life missions. So if conditions are right:

1 you have the extra cash

2 you master the language the resources are in or can afford resources that let you work with the languages you do not fully master

3 you have the right motivation,intention and

4 do the correct fruit bearing actions due to the use of the library, then

Bookaholism does not really apply to the condition;

If you ever walked into a large Library (e.g. in College), you checked around looking for resources for your paper (old timer style), you know what a precious amount of true gems you can find.

There are gigantic giants, then some shorter giants, but giants in my view anyhow. Should we try to stand their shoulders? purpose comes in then:

Do you have books to show off, to overpower people saying you know more because of them and should submit to your conclusions?

I personally have many resources, due to some commitments of mine: 

1 the Bible says check all and retain what is good. I must give the benefit of the doubt to other traditions / denominations' authors in the way that the H.S. may have revealed some truth in some area that I would be unaware of by just following tenets in my own tradition.

2 Logos search engine is a blessing. We can pinpoint search very specific information in a short time, so that we can get a varied amount of perspectives on a topic and enlarge the conceptual framework to better understand things and issues.

3 The experience gleaned from years of work of many authors is available to us, which allows us to offer some guidance to persons experiencing certain situations in a little more effective manner.

Monks before us dreamed of a capacity as such, to have large library with ready search capabilities, and we now have. I think is a mega blessing, and should be put to good use  walking in good deeds God prepared for us to walk in before the foundation of the world for HIs glory.

Bookaholic? maybe not, responsible stewardship of available assets (info included) would be a better descriptor in my opinion.

Let's not forget the roots of our professed faith: Original bearers of the Oracles of God thought of 3 pillars of their faith: Worship, study and good deeds. We did get a free gift of salvation for good deeds, and not because of them, so in a way the 3 pillars still stand in my view.

Blessings.

Posts 20523
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:06 AM

Hamilton Ramos:
1 the Bible says check all and retain what is good

I've seen you make this point on a number of occasions and I'm intrigued

I've just run a search on all my Bibles in Logos and can't find it.

Are you basing this on 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 or something else?

Posts 8425
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 5:31 AM

Hamilton Ramos:
Bookaholic? maybe not, responsible stewardship of available assets (info included) would be a better descriptor in my opinion.

"Responsible stewardship of available assets" is a good description. I often think of the fact that we are accountable for how we use everything we have, including our libraries.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 928
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:38 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

That's certainly what it should be, and I suspect what it is for most Logos users. In my case, though, I do suffer from more than a touch of bookaholism.  It's an ongoing challenge for me - and not just with Logos. Any bookstore - brick and mortar, on-line, new, used, whatever - is a huge temptation for me.

Posts 84
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 8:15 AM

I think the key is how you are using the knowledge.  To quote one of my blog entries (https://medium.com/@josiah12345/knowing-god-ee83b4c4f4ac):

--

As exciting as that sounds, we should be careful to avoid the temptation of Gnosticism. Our goal is not to pursue secret knowledge, to guard and treasure a right path to enlightenment. Instead, we should pursue God as a community, the Church. It is especially silly to hoard knowledge, or prioritize one’s personal spiritual growth over the community’s, when one considers that on that final day when Christ comes again and we go to be with God, we will all know God. Totally and completely.

“Look, he is coming with the clouds,”
 and “every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him”;
 and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.”
So shall it be! Amen. (Revelation 1:7)

We are not preparing for heaven’s placement test. Any knowledge we don’t put to use will be wasted. It must have a gospel purpose. Discerning and debunking prophets of false gospels. Defending attacks on the faith. Rebuking what might give people a bad image of Christianity and cause an opportunity to be lost. Answering the questions of seekers. Pointing out God’s hand where it is sometimes hard to see. Similarly, we use it for the instruction of others called to these tasks, to equip them and build them up.

--

I think it definitely can be a dangerous pitfall and it is good to be mindful of that, but I also believe some are called to use knowledge to build up our Church communities.  Although as with anything, a call isn't just a one time thing and then you can stop listening.  It's good to periodically check and make sure you are still on God's path.

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:48 PM

Hi Graham:

Yes, should add always "rough paraphrase". And many say that nothing is affected by translation (LOL):

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:53 PM

Understood Eas TN:

Read ages ago a book that said there are 3 different ways to go about life:

to Understand, to act or to have fun.

Some of us would be more into the understand deal, should strive to do more, and of course it would be best to do having fun. LOL.

To me collecting books may be better (now that can be had electronically) that many that collect arms, figurines. etc.

One good insight that helps in ministry, and blesses a true sheep, is worth the investment of many books in my view.

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 2:06 PM

Josiah: 

Thanks for the link.

As far as Gnosticism, many fall for the heresy despite the huge amount of resources that truly clarify what is about, and the Bible itself that gives internal evidence of Jesus being with the Father from the Beginning.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/176423/1019271.aspx#1019271

Josiah:
We are not preparing for heaven’s placement test. Any knowledge we don’t put to use will be wasted.

According to the Bible we are to be prepared to explain many things (and I mean many) to others curious and with inquiries here on Earth. Most do not obey this.

Good knowledge applied well is different from bad knowledge applied well or g. knowledge applied wrong. I would not generalize using "any" without explicitly explaining what I am referring to.

Josiah:
Discerning and debunking prophets of false gospels. Defending attacks on the faith. Rebuking what might give people a bad image of Christianity and cause an opportunity to be lost.

Just be careful you do not do it here in the forums. Or you can be charged with violating guidelines.

Josiah:
It's good to periodically check and make sure you are still on God's path.

Do you have a favorite (s) resource in L8 about this?

Kind regards

Posts 9456
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 2:09 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Hamilton Ramos:

"Responsible stewardship of available assets" is a good description. I often think of the fact that we are accountable for how we use everything we have, including our libraries.

You'll probably get mad at me. But at church, a friend complained her relatives questioned her nice house (7 figures). She replied, who are they to question God's gifts. I thought, well, sure, maybe. Then I was reminded who tried to gift Jesus. So, responsible stewardship from who?  Well, gee, it was a strong lesson in the gospels.

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 2:28 PM

Denise:

I like very much your input, but you have to remember English is not my first language:

Denise:
Then I was reminded who tried to gift Jesus. So, responsible stewardship from who?  Well, gee, it was a strong lesson in the gospels.

????  over my head Denise. (what part of the States are you from?, sometimes is hard for me to understand what you are saying).

Just an example from my contextual situation.

A coworker bought a beamer or Audi, some nice German car. He goes to a protestant Church. A minister said: "I wonder how many persons could be fed with the price of such car". Maybe his intention was not bad, maybe he was thinking aloud.

My acquaintance said: "I do not know how many can be fed here, but I am sure many hard working Germans and their families ate thanks to it".

Many times around here, people think that because they become Christians they are entitled to have, or entitled to receive from other Christians just because.

That is why I am so heavy about Christian responsibility: we are supposed to take care of our needs and that of our families. God gave us health, rationality, drive, intellect, we may have bad situation, but if you look and show interest many opportunities exist, but require commitment and effort. 

Is a different story with handicap, senior citizens, children under duress situations, etc. 

Do you know how many countries have sent advisors to teach poor rural people about self-sustainable farming, and other initiatives, and most fail, because the recipients do not have Christ, and if they do, do not fully understand what good christian responsibility is and what good christian stewardship is.

Kind regards.

Posts 84
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:02 PM

Hamilton Ramos:

Josiah:
It's good to periodically check and make sure you are still on God's path.

Do you have a favorite (s) resource in L8 about this?

Haha, is it a trick question?  NIV or NLT or NET or NRSV, sort of depends on the day.  But people are important too.  It's easy to let our own voice drown out the Spirit if we aren't interacting with other brothers and sisters who can challenge us.

I haven't read the guidelines in their entirety, but I do try to keep comments brief and as closely related to buying stuff and using that stuff in Logos as possible.  I understand it's not an open religious discussion forum, though this thread kind of is by its nature from the beginning.

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:03 PM

A lady was trying to use her perfume on Jesus, and she was a Wheat, even though her life seemed like she was not a wheat.

Meanwhile a 100% tare was complaining why was the perfume being wasted.

Any coincidence with the man complaining about my acquaintance's car is purely coincidental (or maybe not).

If this is what you refer to Denise, then yes. Modest christian stewardship from a wheat is of way more value than shiny, pompous stewardship (or lack of it using a lame excuse) by a tare.

Kind regards.

Posts 313
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:14 PM

Hi Gao Lu:

If you are the same from CD, I am glad to read your input here. 

It would be really nice to have your input in Christian Chat Forums:

https://christianchat.com/#christian-chat-forums.1

I am glad that seems you are ok. Once you sign up in the above (name and email only), it takes a little bit before you are approved.

Then you are encouraged to start a thread introducing yourself. (you can be generic).

Find me there as Hamilton.

My intro thread is: New to forums, interested in systematic theology, christian living n keeping in shape.

Blessings, hope all family is doing fine.

Posts 9456
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:20 PM

Hamilton Ramos:

If this is what you refer to Denise, then yes. Modest christian stewardship from a wheat is of way more value than shiny, pompous stewardship (or lack of it using a lame excuse) by a tare.

Returning to your multiple languages challenge, I usually try to use tight verbage and light descriptions. People should know their texts.

In the specific case, the lady you mention was successful; in the wilderness, the tempter didn't succeed. My point was, that on the forums, folks chat about stewardship, but not from whense what they're stewarding. My own opinion (only to illustrate, but one opinion), is the whole Logos sequence favors the tempter.

Posts 1892
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:38 PM

Hamilton Ramos:

Hi Gao Lu:

If you are the same from CD, I am glad to read your input here. 

Blessings, hope all family is doing fine.

Pssst.   Yes.  I am sort of me.  CD was a former less respectable life--better left forgotten. Old things are passed awaybeholdall things are become new.  I and my family are truly blessed.   Bless you too, Brother. 

Re: Bookoholics -

Because we travel much of the time, my wife and I are parting with nearly all paper books. After realizing we have more MUST-READ-NOW books in Logos than we can read the rest of our lives and we prefer portability and searchability of ebooks, the decision was grueling but necessary.  Here is my perspective: I don't have a vehicle other than a bike and live in apartments and hotels and often far worse, so I justify spending on Logos books instead.  I am open to correction on the matter.

Page 5 of 6 (109 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS