Searching all English Bibles for same verse

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:17 AM

I want to see how all English Bibles translate Deut. 6:4.  How do I construct a search to do this?

Thanks for the help.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:31 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:
I want to see how all English Bibles translate Deut. 6:4.  How do I construct a search to do this?

Any particular reason you are trying to do this in a search as opposed to in the Text Comparison tool?

Using TC, you could create a collection of your English Bibles - use the rule "type:bible lang:english" and then use that Collection in the tool to compare all the different translations.

Would that give you what you are looking for?

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:33 AM

This looks like a classic use for the Text Comparison tool.

Before starting the tool, make sure you have a collection that includes all the versions you wish to compare.

I would run it as a floating window; with this many versions you'll want it as large as possible.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:39 AM

Graham,

I am working my way through the Mobile Ed Course OT391 on the Shema.  in segment 12, Dr. Futato mentions the four ways the latter half of the verse could be translated.  He then mentions which major translations use each one.  So I wanted to see how my English Bible collection handles this. 

I posted here after trying various ways to search, but was coming up short. 

Then a thought occurred, I wonder if the course shows this.  It does in segment 19.  The search is performed this way- {Milestone <Bible Deut 6:4>}  

I forgot that the Text Comparison tool can use collections. 

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:46 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:
Then a thought occurred, I wonder if the course shows this.  It does in segment 19.  The search is performed this way- {Milestone <Bible Deut 6:4>}  

That would do it - it just seemed strange doing a search when you already knew the location!

The TC tool is helpful here as it highlights differences etc 

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:51 AM

I did not know how to do the search.  I am working my way through the course and did segment 12 this morning. I do one segment a day, so I can do the reading the course highlights and other resources in my library to answer questions that my study brings to my mind. After I posted, it occurred to me that if I look ahead in the course to see if it would help me answer the question that segment 12 brought up, how do I do this?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS