Surface Pro 4 & Logos - Initial Review

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2473
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 3:54 PM

Shane Lems:

Thanks, David - good points.  I think you're right - a few hundred dollars more in this case is justifiable, because it will honestly help studies and sermon writing.  I think your points will carry weight in my situation - without anyone being upset.

One more question for anyone: can you plug in an extra monitor to the surface pro?  I thought I read you couldn't; could be a deal breaker for some Logos users (such as myself!).

Thanks again,

shanw

Yes, absolutely you can hook an external monitor - just purchase a Mini-Display Port to VGA adapter. There are Microsoft branded ones, but I have used this for over 2 years on my SP1

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5107

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 47
Brian Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 5:10 PM

Geo, great review of the SP4. I wanted to add my two cents after buying an SP4 for Logos.

I initially purchased the Surface 3 (4GB/128) last week, hoping that the cheaper (and slower) device would be enough for me and keep me from needing the more expensive SP3 or SP4. It just wasn't powerful enough. Clicking on UI elements was laggy, and the lack of an SSD made everything sluggish, especially when exceeding RAM capacity and thrashing the swap file.

So I returned the Surface 3 and picked up a Surface Pro 4 - the cheapest one, with an M3 processor and 4GB of RAM.

Processor: The M3 is fanless and runs cool. It's also faster than the i3 in the SP3, and uses much less power. In my opinion, it's plenty fast for Logos, and that's with me comparing it to my regular desktop experience with an overclocked i7 and fast SSD. A search for "Jesus" in 3,000 resources filled the search pane with results nearly instantly, and found 955,000 results in 2.72 seconds. A search for "Jesus" in NASB95 took 0.17 seconds. Scrolling multiple linked resources is speedy. I don't have any regrets about not getting the i5.

RAM: 4GB is a little low, and with my typical Logos layout, I have to watch what programs I have open more than usual. I have a dual-monitor layout with about two dozen tabs visible (I purchased a generic dongle to use a second monitor with the SP4). With this workflow setup, Logos' Commit Size is 850MB, and 632MB of that is in RAM. With Logos open, the Mail app open, and a few tabs of the Edge browser open, I'm sitting at a systemwide Commit Size of 4.5GB, of which 3.2GB is in RAM. Although this is using my SSD a bit for memory, I do not notice any slowdowns in Logos. So, 4GB is doing the job, if just barely.

Pen: Unlike Geo above, I don't use the pen for Logos, or for getting around Windows at all. Instead, I use the free app TouchMousePointer, which can turn my whole screen into a big touchpad for a virtual mouse. It's precise, customizable, supports gestures, and keeps me from wanting a mouse or the pen while I'm using the Surface as a tablet.

Battery: I haven't done a full continuous drain, but Windows is usually estimating between 6 and Logos 9 hours with a full charge. This is lower than I expected, since one of the draws for me to get the M3 versus the i5 was the fact that the M3 uses less than 50% of the power. But I haven't seen it make a difference compared to the SP4 reviews that all tested the battery with i5 processors.

So, can the lowliest and cheapest SP4 cut it for Logos? In my opinion, yes it can. This is a beautiful and well-designed device, and it's going to keep my heavy laptop at home.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 5:23 PM

Michael:

For the sake of a battery life I would recommend switching to a different browser.  Chrome is a resource hog and eats batteries for lunch.  Opera is also Chromium based.  So I'd recommend using either Firefox or Edge.

Glad the SP4 is working well for you.  I have a SP3 and it's practically made for using Logos.  The form factor is great and the 3:2 screen ratio is really useful.

Thanks Michael. You are right - however I am much too invested in Google and Chrome extensions to move away. Edge looks promising - currently there is a driver issue with the Intel IGP on SP4 which leads to it crashing. Extensions for Edge are only coming next year.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 5:29 PM

Good review Brian of the m3. That model has not been reviewed much anywhere, but the fanless setup and Skylake should make it plenty potent for daily use, as you have said.

Posts 1506
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 9:58 PM

this is my third day of using SP4 i5, and i love it. Its FAST!!! The only concern I had was with the bug that caused screen to flicker, but thats on Microsoft end. Hyper V causes this trouble. There is temp workaround:

"To disable Hyper-V, simply type: CMD into search bar. Once located, right-click on it and run it as administrator. This should bring up the command prompt. Proceed to typing the following command: dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 68
Shane Lems | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2015 5:38 AM

Yes, I agree with the above Surface Pro users: it is a great computer for Logos!  I just got a SP4 (128GB, i5), and it is lightning fast.  I was using Logos on an older laptop, and it was so slow (I had to wait around 5-10 seconds sometimes for a dropdown menu to appear after a click!!!). 

If anyone has any questions about the SP4 and Logos, I'll try to answer or help!

Blessings,

shane

Posts 10
Jason Saglimbeni | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2016 4:59 PM

I installed Logos 6 on my new Surface Pro 4 but the program will not open in full screen.  Is there a setting that I am missing?  thanks for your help

Posts 68
Shane Lems | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2016 6:05 PM

I think I had that too at first when I installed Logos 6 on my Surface Pro 4; or Logos wouldn't open or something odd.  If I remember, I ran the updates and that fixed it.  Did you try running updates?  Give that a shot.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS