Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 27 2015 4:57 PM

Sweet! Thanks Faithlife!

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 8:37 AM

You are very welcome.  Have you noticed when you hover over words, the word and corresponding words in the parallel passage also get highlighted?

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 8:42 AM

Great work. The tool has the ability to link to a bible, but the link does not currently work. Any idea of when/if that function will be available?

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 8:50 AM

If I understand you correctly, it seems to work for me.  If I click on "2 King 24:18" in the above screen shot, my Bible goes right to that passage.  Did you mean something different?  Is it possible you have "Send hyperlinks here" set on one Bible tab but looking at a different Bible tab?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 11:34 AM

Jeff Jackson:
Have you noticed when you hover over words, the word and corresponding words in the parallel passage also get highlighte

Jeff, sometimes the same word exists in two passages, in an identical phrase, but there is no highlighting. Is there a reason for this? Example, under "Death of Saul", if I hover over "when" in either 1 Sam 31:7 or 1 Ch 10:7, it does not highlight in the other. The next word "all" in 1 Ch 10:7 highlights itself (there is no corresponding word). "on" after "were" in 1 Sa 31:7 highlights with in - maybe same underlying original language in that case?

There are others - but I am confused what this shows in examples like above.

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:02 PM

The alignment is done on original language words and is mapped onto translations through reverse interlinears.  

If the translation word has no original language word aligned to it, then it won't light up when you hover over it.  This occurs because translators must (or feel the need to) supply some extra words in order to make the translation flow better in English or bring out some nuance explicitly that's only implied by the original language text.

In this case, the original language text has no word corresponding to "when", so when you hover over "when" in ESV, nothing lights up.

Another issue that can come up is that the editor of the reverse interlinear is inconsistent with how translation words are aligned to original language words.  In the LEB of 1 Sam 31:7, the phrase "and when" is aligned to the single Hebrew word for "and".  Neither is really "wrong". These kind of judgment calls are incredibly difficult to get entirely consistent, although we are working on getting better about it.

In this later case, if you hover over "when" in 1 Sam 31:7, "and when" lights up there, but only "and" in 1 Chr 10:7.  

In spite of the occasional glitch like this, I think you'll find the highlight feature very useful in finding your beatings when the parallel restructures the sentence.  A good example of this is a few verses later in the parallel between 1 Sam 31:9 and 1 Chr 10:9.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:31 PM

Thanks Jeff for clarifying it!

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 1:00 PM

Are there plans on making this highlighting available in the parallel gospel reader? 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 1:02 PM

No plans whatsoever.  Mainly because it's already done!  Go check it out.:-)  Remember, it only works on versions that you have a reverse interlinear for.

Posts 70
Timothy Jang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:14 PM

This is a great add for me to figure out the events in the books overlapped more easily.  Is this available now? I can't find it in my library. Or is it only for the beta users yet? 

Posts 21870
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:16 PM

Hojune:
Or is it only for the beta users yet? 

Only currently available on the beta channel

I think I saw it was expected to ship to stable in a couple of weeks

Posts 70
Timothy Jang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:57 PM

Graham, Thank you for making it clear to me. 

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 4:23 PM

Jeff Jackson:

If I understand you correctly, it seems to work for me.  If I click on "2 King 24:18" in the above screen shot, my Bible goes right to that passage.  Did you mean something different?  Is it possible you have "Send hyperlinks here" set on one Bible tab but looking at a different Bible tab?

Hi Jeff,

First of all great work on this. Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

Note they are both linked or tied using A. If I scroll in the Bible the Synopsis Tool does not move to that verse. I would like to incorporate this tool into a layout where the text I am studying in my default bible can be tied/linked to the Synopsis tool. Why have the link available if it does not work?

Thanks

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 4:32 PM

Ah, OK, link sets.  I'll report it to the appropriate developers so they can consider it.

Edit: looks like there's already an open case for it.

Posts 21870
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 4:33 PM

Jeff Jackson:

Ah, OK, link sets.  I'll report it to the appropriate developers so they can consider it.

There is a case open as per https://community.logos.com/forums/p/118145/775643.aspx#775643 

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 5:22 PM

Jeff Jackson:
 Have you noticed when you hover over words, the word and corresponding words in the parallel passage also get highlighted?

Great feature.Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 7:33 PM

Jeff Jackson:

No plans whatsoever.  Mainly because it's already done!  Go check it out.:-)  Remember, it only works on versions that you have a reverse interlinear for.

Great! Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Jeff Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2015 6:43 AM

Jeff Jackson:

finding your beatings when the parallel restructures the sentence. 

Ack!  That was supposed to say "finding your bearings ..."

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS