Bug: Inconsistency in Copy and Paste in Notes

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 28 2015 11:29 AM

I am currently running Logos Bible Software 6.6 SR-2 (6.6.0.0069) on a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro that is running OS X 10.11.

I have encountered a problem with the notes and highlighting feature. Let me explain my workflow as I am highlighting and note taking before I explain the problem. 

Workflow Explanation: Usually when I highlight something in a book I also copy and paste the text of the highlighted section into the notes document itself. I will then occasionally add my own thoughts and comments about the quoted section immediately below the pasted text (as bullet points, separate paragraph, etc.).

The Problem: In the past, I was able to copy and paste the highlighted text into the note and Logos would automatically include the bibliographic information into the note. I also appreciated that Logos would automatically turn this bibliographic information into a hyperlink directly back to the copied text in the book. However, now I am experiencing a strange problem where the bibliographic entry no longer automatically changes to a hyperlink. The other strange characteristic of this problem is that it seem to occur intermittently even within the same resource.

For instance, today I was following my typical workflow described above. As I was highlighting, copy and paste-ing, and note taking the vast majority of the automatic bibliographic entries were not hyperlinking automatically. However, after 3 highlights/notes I added one new note, and Logos suddenly included the bibliographic information with a hyperlink.

So I have 4 notes/highlights in the same resource. 3 of the notes/highlights do not have hyperlinked bibliographic entries. 1 of the notes/highlights does have a hyperlinked bibliographic entry.

As near as I can tell, I did not do anything differently between the third and fourth highlight.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 3060
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 11:45 AM

Jonathan:
Usually when I highlight something in a book I also copy and paste the text of the highlighted section into the notes document itself. I will then occasionally add my own thoughts and comments

Jonathan,

I can't help with the bug you are seeing, but...

Have you thought about using the Clippings feature for what you are describing here? Since you don't always add your own thoughts, Clippings is the idea way to save tidbits from resources. But even if you do add your own thoughts, you can add Notes to a clipping.

Just an idea...YMMV.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:10 PM

Doc B:

Have you thought about using the Clippings feature for what you are describing here? Since you don't always add your own thoughts, Clippings is the idea way to save tidbits from resources. But even if you do add your own thoughts, you can add Notes to a clipping.

Thank you Doc B.

My main reason for not using clippings is the lack of an ability (as far as I can tell) to read a book and see sections you've clipped also highlighted in the book. Do clippings have the ability to also highlight what has been clipped from the book?

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 3060
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:29 PM

Jonathan:
Do clippings have the ability to also highlight what has been clipped from the book?

Not to my knowledge. If you want a physical highlight, you can add it while the selection is still selected.

You could make a special highlighting palette that uses specific highlights for your clipped selections, and this could then be turned on or off in the Visual Filters menu option.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:35 PM

Jonathan:

The Problem: In the past, I was able to copy and paste the highlighted text into the note and Logos would automatically include the bibliographic information into the note. I also appreciated that Logos would automatically turn this bibliographic information into a hyperlink directly back to the copied text in the book. However, now I am experiencing a strange problem where the bibliographic entry no longer automatically changes to a hyperlink. The other strange characteristic of this problem is that it seem to occur intermittently even within the same resource.

For instance, today I was following my typical workflow described above. As I was highlighting, copy and paste-ing, and note taking the vast majority of the automatic bibliographic entries were not hyperlinking automatically. However, after 3 highlights/notes I added one new note, and Logos suddenly included the bibliographic information with a hyperlink.

So I have 4 notes/highlights in the same resource. 3 of the notes/highlights do not have hyperlinked bibliographic entries. 1 of the notes/highlights does have a hyperlinked bibliographic entry.

Try adding a space after the bibliographic entry. Many times in note a link will not appear as a link unless it has a space following it.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:38 PM
steve clark:

Jonathan:

Try adding a space after the bibliographic entry. Many times in note a link will not appear as a link unless it has a space following it.

I did try that earlier, but it did not make a difference.

Posts 32942
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 1:22 PM

The presence of the bibliographic information requires a minimum size for the note. Extremely short notes will not have it. However, some of us have been experiencing the problem you describe ... it appears to relate to the operating system being used and the software being copied into. In some cases where the problem has been reported Logos was actually creating a footnote not putting the bibliographic reference after the note. I'll see if I can get Faithlife's attention on your report.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2015 8:29 AM

After updating to Logos Bible Software 6.7 (6.7.0.0036) I am no longer experiencing this problem.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2015 11:11 AM

Jonathan:

After updating to Logos Bible Software 6.7 (6.7.0.0036) I am no longer experiencing this problem.

CORRECTION: After using Logos for several hours today, the issue seems to occur less frequently, but it is still present.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2015 12:40 PM

Jonathan:

Jonathan:

CORRECTION: After using Logos for several hours today, the issue seems to occur less frequently, but it is still present.

I've only been able to reproduce with very short notes, as MJ mentioned. Specifically fewer than 10 words. Could you give me some reproduction steps on where you're seeing this with larger notes? That is, if it's consistent.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 6:28 AM

Dylan Rondeau:

I've only been able to reproduce with very short notes, as MJ mentioned. Specifically fewer than 10 words. Could you give me some reproduction steps on where you're seeing this with larger notes? That is, if it's consistent.

It may just be a coincidence, but this seems to happen to me most often when I am highlighting and note taking in journal articles.

The following steps seem to be able to consistently reproduce the problem for me:

Step 1: create new note file titled: "Topic.Homosexuality"

Step 2: open resource: "The Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, Spring and Fall 2012 17, no. 1 & 2 (2012)."

Step 3: scroll to the following location: logosres:gs-jbmw-17;ref=VolumeNumberPage.V_17,_N_1,_p_31;off=21

Step 4:

(a) select entire first paragraph after the title word "Introduction"

(b) right click and select "Add a note to "Topic.Homosexuality""

Step 5: right click (again) on selected text and select "Copy"

Step 6: paste text, using keystroke "command+v", into the newly added note in the note file "Topic.Homosexuality"

Result: a long paragraph in note file "Topic.Homosexuality" without properly hyperlinked, Turabian style, bibliographic information

-- 

This is repeatable throughout the entirety of the article. For instance, see the following two examples:

Repeat 1: 

(a) scroll to paragraph that starts with "So Dan Savage starts his YouTube channel."

(b) select, add note, copy, and paste entire paragraph, following same steps outlined above

(c) same result

Repeat 2: 

(a) scroll to paragraph that starts with "McLaren pillories our beliefs"

(b) select, add note, copy, and paste entire paragraph, following same steps outlined above

(c) same result

--

Hope this helps!

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 6:39 AM

Jonathan:

The following steps seem to be able to consistently reproduce the problem for me:

I am able to get the hyperlinking to work properly on occasion if change the order of step 5 and steps 4(a) and 4(b). So, if I select the text and copy the text first, and then create the note, and then paste the text into the note in accordance with step 6, the hyperlinking will usually show up correctly.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 8:13 AM

Bumping this thread in an effort to be sure that my response is noticed by Logos employees.

Thank you for your hard work!

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 8:48 AM

Jonathan:

Bumping this thread in an effort to be sure that my response is noticed by Logos employees.

Thank you for your hard work!

Thanks, Jonathan. I'll create a case for the developers to investigate. Smile

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS