Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29
Matthew Van Dyken | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:35 PM

I'd like to prioritize DBL Greek for when I am within a certain resource (The Greek New Testament according to the Majority Text by Hodges and Farsted).  After setting this up, however, a double click on a Greek word in the Majority Text still directs me to the useless Power Lookup, not DBL Greek.  Is there any way to remedy this?  Is this a problem with the Majority Text resource? 

Thanks, Matt.

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:39 PM

I've just tried this and it works fine.

Double-clicking does update Power Lookup if open (I'm unclear why you are seeing it as useless) but also updates DBL Greek as expected.

Please provide a few more details

• Which word in which verse?
  • Which version of Logos SW?
  • Are you running on Windows or Mac?

Posts 29
Matthew Van Dyken | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:51 PM

About the power lookup, that was a bit harsh.  Perhaps I should have said "useless for me", i.e., not what I wanted. But upon investigation, there is something a bit irregular there too (outside of the scope of this question).  One double click (without the Power Lookup pane open) opens up a BLANK Power Lookup pane with just the word (hence my "useless").  Two double clicks on the word does fill in the Power Lookup pane with helpful information.

However, about the lookup of the word, I checked and you are right.  Upon prioritization, a good number of words do correctly update DBL Greek.  I had not realized that.  But not in every case.  In 1 Cor. 12:4, for example, the third word in χαρισμάτων does not update DBL Greek but opens a blank Power Lookup.  In 1 Cor. 12:1, the fourth word in πνευματικῶν does not update DBL Greek. 

But just now I figured out the reason.  My guess is that it is because the resource is not morphologically tagged.  The words which it finds in DBL Greek are the dictionary entries (αὐτὸς, for example).  The words which it can't find in DBL Greek are the derivatives (αὐτὸ, for example).  So LOGOS tries to look up the word (αὐτὸ, for example), can't find it, and so sends the query to the Power Lookup.

Any suggestions for how to overcome the problem?  Are there any settings I can adjust so that it returns the closest match?  (I.e., so that an exact match is not required?)

It's frustrating, because as it is, the untagged Majority Text resource is not very usable.  It seems like there should be a straightforward way to morphologically tag a resource automatically (on the fly) to overcome this problem.  My initial guess is that it is not that difficult of a computer problem (I've programmed a lot in the past.)  But like I said, that's my initial guess.

I am using Logos Bible Software 6.6 SR-2   (6.6.0.0069) on Windows 10.

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 4:16 PM

Matthew Van Dyken:
Any suggestions for how to overcome the problem?  Are there any settings I can adjust so that it returns the closest match?  (I.e., so that an exact match is not required?)

No I don't believe that the combination of this text and this lexicon will give you what you are looking for - for the reasons you mentioned.

Do you have the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament? If so, try prioritising it above DBL Greek.

This does work as it shows the various forms as well but I don't know if it will give you what you are looking for.

Posts 29
Matthew Van Dyken | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 7:51 PM

That's a good suggestion.  I don't have the resource but can see that it would work.  I'll have to think about whether I want to buy it or not. 

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS