search help

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 31
Michael Carr | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2015 8:23 AM

Trying to get my head around how I can search my Bibles for the word "for" only when it is used as a conjunction.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards, Mike <><

Posts 2885
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 9:40 AM

Michael Carr:
how I can search my Bibles for the word "for" only when it is used as a conjunction

If I understand your question, here's how I would start: Use a Morph search. Pick your lemma (there are several for 'for'), use the conjunction code and pick which type you want to find.

There are several other options, and many of them might be better than this one; an MVP will likely come along and elaborate. I picked the simple answer. Hope it helps.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 25264
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 4:02 PM

Unfortunately eis is not used as a conjunction even though you get (spurious) results in a reverse interlinear bible like ESV. You need to run that against a Greek bible like SBLGNT.

When you specify a Morph Search like lemma:εἰς@C and then click on Bible, it is expanded as

<Lemma = lbs/el/εἰς> ANDEQUALS <LogosMorphGr ~ C?>     ---> after removing unnecessary stuff in parentheses!

ANDEQUALS requires εἰς and the morph code for Conjunction to be at the same location (or belonging to the same word)

So, if you want to know where "for" is used to translate a Greek conjunction you would use a Bible search like

for ANDEQUALS <LogosMorphGr ~ C?> 

This works in SBLGNT because it has English glosses, and works quite well in reverse interlinear bibles.

For more details see the search help wiki.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2885
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2015 1:06 PM

Dave Hooton:

When you specify a Morph Search like lemma:εἰς@C and then click on Bible, it is expanded as

<Lemma = lbs/el/εἰς> ANDEQUALS <LogosMorphGr ~ C?>     ---> after removing unnecessary stuff in parentheses!

ANDEQUALS requires εἰς and the morph code for Conjunction to be at the same location (or belonging to the same word)

So, if you want to know where "for" is used to translate a Greek conjunction you would use a Bible search like

for ANDEQUALS <LogosMorphGr ~ C?> 

Many years ago I learned to program in Fortran IV. It was a lot simpler than this.

Let this post kill any ad copy that Logos searches are "easy".

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 991
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2015 11:53 PM

Doc B:
Many years ago I learned to program in Fortran IV. It was a lot simpler than this.
Big Smile

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2015 3:14 AM

Doc B:
Let this post kill any ad copy that Logos searches are "easy".

Easy searches are easy, and difficult searches are difficult. If you've learned a few basic principles, this one isn't difficult to work out.

The only possible hard part is remembering <LogosMorphGr ~ C?>. But you don't need to. As Dave said, it's created automatically when enter @C into the Morph search, then switch back into Bible search.

So to construct this search from scratch, you only need to know three things:

1. Use the @ sign in the Morph search to create easy morph searches.
  2. Switch from Morph to Bible if you want to also search for other data.
  3. Use the ANDEQUALS operator when you want two terms to match exactly.

I appreciate it's tricky the first time you want to do a search like this, but it's very easy to remember those three points after you've done it once.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS