How to you pronounce Logos? Are you consistent?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 26 2015 3:14 PM

In 2011 Mark Ward wrote a blog about how to pronounce Logos. Here is the link:

https://blog.logos.com/2015/11/how-to-pronounce-logos-and-other-important-evangelical-words/

Once again he has written another blog on the same topic - this time on the official Logos Bible Software Blog dated today. Here is the link:

https://blog.logos.com/2015/11/how-to-pronounce-logos-and-other-important-evangelical-words/

He says the two primary groups of pronunciations are "the LOW-goess (loʊɡoʊs) party and the LAH-gahss (lɑɡɑs) party"? Personally I used to say LAH-gass but thought I'd try to change to LOW-goes, as it seems more consistent to me and I heard others say it that way. But I have to tell you that, just like Mark confesses in his blog, I now use both pronunciations as I continually struggle with saying it consistently.

What party are you from - LOW-goess or LAH-gahss?

Does anyone else suffer from inconsistent pronunciation of Logos? Stick out tongue

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 917
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 3:17 PM

Bruce Dunning:
What party are you from - LOW-goess or LAH-gahss?

Neither - it is clearly LOG-goess Big Smile

Posts 56
David Achorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 3:21 PM

Everyone knows it is pronounced LOW-goss.  Big Smile

Posts 186
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:11 PM

"What party are you from - LOW-goess or LAH-gahss?" ??

Me, either LOW-goess -or- LOW-gahss. No one mentioned themselves as using the second, but I switch back -n- forth twixt the two...

Roy

Posts 110
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:22 PM

LAH-gahss here. :)

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:26 PM

Bruce Dunning:
LOW-goess or LAH-gahss?

In Britain almost everyone would say LAH-gahss. LOW-goess sounds like an American corruption Big Smile (or the plural of 'logo').

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:27 PM

I suspect there are very few of us outside North America in the LAG-Gahss party - most people in the UK that I know refer to it as Log-oss with a short "o" in each syllable. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 186
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:40 PM

"Britain almost everyone would say LAH-gahss. LOW-goess sounds like an American corruption Big Smile (or the plural of 'logo')...."

Guilty as charged! (Blasted Yank!)

Actually it is move of a "oos" as in Ghost without the 't' or even Oat again no "t", I guess I could just say Looooong 'O' sound. Sleep

Roy

Posts 532
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:41 PM

GregW:

I suspect there are very few of us outside North America in the LAG-Gahss party - most people in the UK that I know refer to it as Log-oss with a short "o" in each syllable. 

Same down here in Australia - Log-oss :)

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 5:23 PM

It's pronounced Faithlife Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 8:17 PM

David Achorn:

Everyone knows it is pronounced LOW-goss.  Big Smile

Yes

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 9:06 PM

The second way.

My greek (by ethnicity) koine greek teacher pronounced it that way, and so I went with it.

This was further cemented in my mind by my second greek language instructer at the graduate level.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 10:28 PM

LOW-goess. Down with Erasmian pronunciation!

Posts 173
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 10:51 PM

Without doubt,  LAH-gahss.  If it was good enough for Paul, it is good enough for me. 

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 12:23 AM

No you are all wrong Wink

Only I pronounce it correctlyWink

The correct pronunciation is ... ACCESS DENIED...ACCESS DENIED...ACCESS DENIED

P A Wink

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 6:47 AM

Lah-Gahs.  Omicrons sound like short O's.  If it were an omega, then all the lowgooes people would be right. But since, in holy Scripture, it uses the omicron, you have to pronounce it with a short O. Or you are walking a very thin line toward heresy.  Stick out tongue

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 8:23 AM

I haven't given this an extreme amount of thought, but I find myself separating the 2 pronunciations as follows:

LAH-gahss - When referring to the word of God.

Low-goess - When referring to Logos Bible Software.

Smile

Posts 3036
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 10:44 AM

LAW - Gawhss in Canada

Going to the Grey Cup this weekend and we don't even have to leave the city to do it - Yee Haw. Go Ottawa Go!!

mm.

mm.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS