Suggestion: NASB77 Version

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 7:10 PM

Todd Phillips:
Threads are conversations and they naturally go other ways.

Yes, unfortunately several of them do and that is what takes up people's precious time in searching them to find real help or vote for a feature / resource be important to them.

Todd Phillips:
As to the original topic, the post in the other thread made it sound like the availability of the 77 version was a done deal and all we need to do is wait for it to be made available for purchase.

My post was to see how many Logos users would be willing to purchase the NASB77 if and when it becomes available.  That is why it was under Suggestion.  Which I read in a very early post on these forums that this is the correct place to ask for a resource that is not currently available.  If I am mistaken, please let me know where to post such requests.

I did not see an official post from Logos employees that the NASB77 will be available and on what date.  I have not checked the Pre-Pub page, so it might be there already.

Have a wonderful evening and God Bless You.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 9:55 PM

Mark,

When the question was asked about the difference between the NASB and NASB95, it seemed to me to be an appropriate extension of the original conversation, especially if it helps convince someone that they might want to get the original NASB.

The Suggestions group isn't just for asking for a show of hands of interest from people. (I avoided the term "voting", since "no" votes tend to come off as confrontational and lead to arguments).   The group is used for promoting and discussing anything that we might want Logos to consider: Features, resources, publishers, even policies.  Seeing as how your original post didn't specifically call for a show of hands or a vote, it seemed valid to let the thread meander a bit.

Besides all that, I find that any conversation on a thread tends to be good in these forums, because it keeps it at the top where it can be seen--which we all agree is a good thing (kind of like "any publicity is good publicity").

Anyhow...to bring it back around to your desired topic:

Who here would buy the NASB (original version -1977) if it were offered?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:10 AM

MJ. Smith:

Mark Watson:
ey, you changed the point of this thread.  I believe that is called hijacking.  Please start a new thread in the future.

As a new thread would it be Logos related? I'd call this thread drift and let it be.

Todd,

See the post above from M.J. Smith.  Perhaps I was not the only person who thought this thread had strayed beyond the bounds of Logos' forum?

And I do want people's input on whether a resource is beneficial or not - and why.  So in your viewpoint is the NASB77 better in any way to the NASB95?  Do you have any particular example of why you would would want the NASB77 if you already have the NASB95?

Besides all that, I find that any conversation on a thread tends to be good in these forums, because it keeps it at the top where it can be seen--which we all agree is a good thing (kind of like "any publicity is good publicity"). - - - Agree with you for the most part on this.  There are a few threads that I hope will never surface again...because they were just points that cause argumentative responses.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:33 AM

Mark Watson:
And I do want people's input on whether a resource is beneficial or not - and why.  So in your viewpoint is the NASB77 better in any way to the NASB95?  Do you have any particular example of why you would would want the NASB77 if you already have the NASB95?

I've wanted the 77 version so that I could easily compare the two versions.  It's helpful to see what changed, and it can point out places where the translation is difficult.  It's also helpful to see the gradual evolution of translations from KJV to ASV to NASB to NASB95.  You can clearly see what was retained for the sake of familiarity.

Also the 77 version is paragraph formatted...better for reading in that aspect.  I also want to be able to search for passages based on the original wording in case I have a quote that I want to find.  Mostly, I like the NASB95 better, although I wish it had paragraph formatting.  After using the ESV for a while, I find myself heading back to the NASB95 more and more as the ESV seems to retain too much baggage from the RSV at times.

(By the way, I was (and am) under the impression that MJ was in agreement with me.  Do we need to exegete her phrasing? Stick out tongue )

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1163
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 9:45 AM

I would buy the NASB '77 depending on the price. Given that it takes up little space and can be helpful to reference, especially in reading older books that rely on it, I wouldn't mind having it. I'm a little confused about why the NASB77 and the BAGD 2nd ed are no longer sold in Logos. I suspect it might have something to do with licensing and the cost of keeping them updated in the latest format. BAGD was referenced millions of times between its publication and the coming of BDAG 3rd ed. Now if you want to read what the author was referring to you must have a print copy of BAGD because sometimes BDAG has been completed changed. I realise that Logos doesn't want to produce every edition of a work but when you already have it why discontinue selling it?

Tom

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:50 PM

Well, I feel from the conversation that sometimes the newest might not be the best in some sense. But Logos might tends to publish the newest version only.

So, then NASB77 is only one example to show this problem.

Then I will suggest that whenever we purchase a certain copy, it will be great to offer an optional choice to include the previous editions too (which should be able to change this option after you buy it). But of course that means Logos is keep managing more and more different editions. So, might be we can apply this only on those special case: NASB, BDAG, etc.

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:52 PM

Todd Phillips:
(By the way, I was (and am) under the impression that MJ was in agreement with me.  Do we need to exegete her phrasing? Stick out tongue )

As a guy with a "star" under your picture, I guess you are entitled to your opinion....oh wait...everyone in the Logos forums are.

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:25 PM

Todd Phillips:

Mark Watson:
Hey, you changed the point of this thread.  I believe that is called hijacking

As to the original topic, the post in the other thread made it sound like the availability of the 77 version was a done deal and all we need to do is wait for it to be made available for purchase.

Is this officially true, or just enthusiastic hoping? I hope it is true...I really would like NASB77 in my Logos 4 Library.

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:31 PM

I would like NASB77 to appear too. And it would be great if it is included whenever one has a copy of NASB.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS