Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 73
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 12 2009 1:23 AM

Before making a purchase I often click through to Amazon on the link to get extra info - size of book, user reviews and so on.  However, sometimes there is no print edition that I can find, which leaves me making a purchase a little in the dark.  Once I bought a book from Logos which only took about 20 minutes to read...Tongue Tied

What do people think about having the possibility to add (briefSmile) user reviews to the book descriptions on the website?

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 13 2009 4:10 PM

It would be nice to have user reviews at logos.com for each product.  Now that we frequent the forums, we can know each other better and have trustworthy reviews on that more public side.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 7:25 AM

It's a great idea.  Of course some of that information is available.  "everyone" knows that George LOVES interlinears Stick out tongue

Before George has a fit - note the evident sarcasm.  He hates them.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 7:35 AM

Thomas Black:

It's a great idea.  Of course some of that information is available.  "everyone" knows that George LOVES interlinears Stick out tongue

!bless his little cotton socks, he wouldn't have a fit would he....

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:07 AM

Thomas Black:

On the contrary, I don't hate interlinears.  Have all the interlinears you want.  I just don't think anyone should actually use them.  If you don't know the language, using an interlinear isn't going to make you any more able to understand it.  Additionally, there are several very real disadvantages to using them:

1.  You can become convinced that the gloss used to translate the original language is THE meaning of the original when there are a range of meanings to virtually any word.

2. What have you gained by finding that πίστις is translated by faith?  You already knew that by reading the English.

3.  Interlinears don't deal with syntactical questions or with idioms.

If you want to understand the original beyond what can be gained from a translation, either learn the original language or read a good commentary.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:12 AM

George, it is great to hear from you again. I was afraid these days not seeing you here. I wanted to find a good way to find out where you are and looks Thomas found the right thing:  Interlinears, not even mentioning the REVERSE Interlinears Big Smile Nice to see you today.

Bohuslav

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:35 AM

My pleasure Bohuslav.  Anytime you want a George update, just post in praise of the new doctrine you discovered using a reverse interlinear.  LOL  That'll get 'im!

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 9:09 AM

Getting ready to write a new post and I saw this: TIME TO RESURRECT IT!

Let's get logos user reviews going on logos.com!  Why?

1. It keeps us from going to other websites (and potentially spending money elsewhere!)
  2. It makes it convenient for Logos users to see what other users think while surfing logos sites
  3. Each Logos book has unique features because of their digital encoding--a logos review allows us to emphasize those points
  4. Related to the unique encoding: not every book or publisher puts in the same effort/level of encoding.  Our reviews will reflect this, especially where they lack.  That is useful for purchasers to know, and perhaps it may also spark publishers to put more work into it.  If there are several similar type resources (Bible Dictionaries, or New Testament Introduction books, whatever), but some are more thoroughly indexed, making for more powerful searches, a person with limited money to burn might choose a resource that is better indexed. 

There, some additional remarks to the value of Logos reviews.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 208
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:25 PM

Dan DeVilder:

1. It keeps us from going to other websites (and potentially spending money elsewhere!)
  2. It makes it convenient for Logos users to see what other users think while surfing logos sites
  3. Each Logos book has unique features because of their digital encoding--a logos review allows us to emphasize those points
  4. Related to the unique encoding: not every book or publisher puts in the same effort/level of encoding.  Our reviews will reflect this, especially where they lack.  That is useful for purchasers to know, and perhaps it may also spark publishers to put more work into it.  If there are several similar type resources (Bible Dictionaries, or New Testament Introduction books, whatever), but some are more thoroughly indexed, making for more powerful searches, a person with limited money to burn might choose a resource that is better indexed. 

Forgive me for going 'all Lazarus' on this old thread, but I was searching before posting too.

When standing in front of my now very visual bookshelf  of 1000+ books (limited compared to many here)  thanks to Mark Barnes great tool (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/15170.aspx) I feel like waving my finger in the air and stabbing at a book in order to read something.  To look at reviews, scan for themes, subjects, authors etc would then give us the option to go and read something with a little prior insight, from within our own Logos community of friends and contributors. 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 19358
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:51 PM

George Somsel:

Thomas Black:

On the contrary, I don't hate interlinears.  Have all the interlinears you want.  I just don't think anyone should actually use them.  If you don't know the language, using an interlinear isn't going to make you any more able to understand it.  Additionally, there are several very real disadvantages to using them:

1.  You can become convinced that the gloss used to translate the original language is THE meaning of the original when there are a range of meanings to virtually any word.

2. What have you gained by finding that πίστις is translated by faith?  You already knew that by reading the English.

3.  Interlinears don't deal with syntactical questions or with idioms.

If you want to understand the original beyond what can be gained from a translation, either learn the original language or read a good commentary.

I don't know Greek at all. I use Interlinears to help me find the word (and its context) in the original language version. If I just opened NA27 without the English text alongside, I might not even be able to find the right verse since I know the versification is sometimes different, let alone the right part of the verse for the word I'm looking for. If I'm trying to get to know Greek a bit better, looking up words and seeing them used in context is part of the process. I don't have time to take a full Greek class right now (hopefully someday), but I can pick my way around through lexicons knowing the alphabet, and can learn a bit of the grammar as I go. So I do find the Interlinear a very helpful tool.

George Somsel:

I wouldn't have known that without an Interlinear. Just reading the English by itself doesn't tell me the Greek word behind how a word was translated in my English Bible. And I couldn't look up the Greek word in a better reference resource that would give me the full range of meanings if I don't know the Greek word behind the English word my version uses. An interlinear (or at least interlinear tagging) is essential for people like me. I couldn't even right-click on an English word and choose Lemma and go look up that word in BDAG or DBL without the interlinear tagging.

EDIT: I just realized (belatedly) that I was replying to something George wrote back in November, so forgive the possible irrelevance. I'm sure someone somewhere else has already explained this reason to you for some of us liking Interlinears. Wonderful for you that you know Greek well and don't need them as a crutch. Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 5:59 PM

Thomas Black:
Anytime you want a George update, just post in praise of the new doctrine you discovered using a reverse interlinear.  LOL  That'll get 'im!

Like poking a hibernating bear with a stick...  Hmm

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:48 PM

Aaron Knotts:

Dan DeVilder:

Forgive me for going 'all Lazarus' on this old thread, but I was searching before posting too.

When standing in front of my now very visual bookshelf  of 1000+ books (limited compared to many here)  thanks to Mark Barnes great tool (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/15170.aspx) I feel like waving my finger in the air and stabbing at a book in order to read something.  To look at reviews, scan for themes, subjects, authors etc would then give us the option to go and read something with a little prior insight, from within our own Logos community of friends and contributors. 

I am pretty sure that "logos user reviews" have been suggested and discussed on a few other occasions, too.  I would be surprised if they are not possible in the reworked www.logos.com site (whenever that rolls out)

Posts 208
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:01 PM

Dan DeVilder:

I am pretty sure that "logos user reviews" have been suggested and discussed on a few other occasions, too.  I would be surprised if they are not possible in the reworked www.logos.com site (whenever that rolls out)

So you think it is on the horizon with the new look site? (now something else to look forward to)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 19358
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 8:45 PM

Aaron Knotts:

Dan DeVilder:

So you think it is on the horizon with the new look site? (now something else to look forward to)

I hope so!

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:19 AM

In addition to user reviews - which would be a great help - I would love to see a sample (just a few pages) of every book that Logos sells on their web site. 

There are many books on the Logos website that have no sample pages at all (& some that do).  Having no sample forces me to go elsewhere on the internet to find a sample.  And more than a couple of times that has led me elsewhere to actually buy the books (in Libronix format).

So I would love to see both user reviews and sample pages from every book Logos sells.  I guess I must just be a picky buyer Wink!

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:53 AM

Aaron Knotts:

Dan DeVilder:

Aaron, well, that is what I would want and expect to see . . . but I don't work for Logos, nor is my last name Pritchett, so it is just a guess!  Smile   But to me, it should be a no-brainer to put on a newly redone/improved site.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:54 AM

Stein Dahl:
So I would love to see both user reviews and sample pages from every book Logos sells. 

I would agree.  but even on the large "rainforest" book seller site, sample pages are also missing.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 2:52 PM

Stein Dahl:
I would love to see a sample (just a few pages) of every book that Logos sells on their web site. 

A graphic showing Logos coded links to other Logos resources would be very appealing.  It highlights one of the main benefits of Logos.  They usually refer to "advantages" of Logos formatting, but graphically showing them is even better.  however, this would be hard to do for pre-pubs.

This whole thread needs to be retitled: "suggestions for resource marketing/descriptions."

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 5:12 AM

Matthew Godwin:

What do people think about having the possibility to add (briefSmile) user reviews to the book descriptions on the website?

Yes please!!!!

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 1604
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 5:23 AM

This suggestion is a great idea!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS