Paul Golder:

Greg Masone:
publishers have families to feed too

Rupert Murdoch — Net Worth: ▲$8.3 Billion

He must have a very large familty to feed Big Smile

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 1:03 PM

I am not too upset by the 40% discount.  I am am, however, unable to buy the package, in one lump sum, by June.

They might make more money off of me if they

1. extend the purchase period for the 40% discount (e.g., to the end of the year)
  2. allow us to make more than one purchase at the 40% off
  3. if Logos would allow payment plans.

I may just have to pass on most, if not all, of Zondervan for the next couple years.

I think they tried, but they will miss getting much out of customers like me.  I think they could have gotten more from me with slightly different terms.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 1:24 PM

Jacob, you might feel differently if you had invested nearly a thousand dollars in Pradis then you discover it will cost you another $1000 to change software platforms.  In my opinion it's not right or fair.  I'm simply expressing my opinion.  I will continue to use Pradis for as long as possible.  I will not pay twice for the same resources.  I want Zondervan to know how I feel about they have treated me as a customer.  I think Zondercrooks pretty much covers that.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 2:15 PM

I think that folks who have not spent in Pradis products might want to refrain from lecturing those who have about how they should feel. The fact is that Zondervan decided to start a line of products and establish a customer base for it. We in good faith have invested in it. They let us down first by a practically inexistent platform development and customer service. That meant -- among other things -- that as new operating systems came out, they had little to offer to keep up with the times. Then, they dropped us altogether.

I still have tapes and have lots of CDs and they have not become obsolete in a matter of a few years. My investment was rewarded and I will keep enjoying them for a while yet. Sure, I can keep on using Pradis for now. But for how long? Without any further updates, the product is at the end of life.

If Zondervan was a small company that went belly up, this would be an understandable misfortune. But that is not the case. They dropped us as customers because they never really invested themselves as seriously in their software as they held promise. 

I would like to see some of the philosophers on this forum reason as they do if in 3 years Logos does the same to us. I don't believe that they will, but the point is, this is what Zondervan did to Pradis customers. How would the members of the 1K club and above feel if Logos said "sorry, we're closing shop. But Bibleworks will take all our titles and we encourage you to transition with them. They offer a discount too: you'd have to pay twice as much as you already have with us, but rejoice, they kindly offer you a 40% discount!"

Let's be real here. I know that there are some around here who have loads more of monies to spend on Bible software. Perhaps this seems immaterial to them. But many others are working with very modest means, and it hurts to see our investment go up it flames and customer trust being so poorly rewarded.

This being said, blessings be on you!

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 3:16 PM

Francis:

I think that folks who have not spent in Pradis products might want to refrain from lecturing those who do about how they should feel.

I would like to see some of the philosophers on this forum reason as they do if in 3 years Logos does the same to us.

Let's be real here. I know that there are some around here who have loads more of monies to spend on Bible software. Perhaps this seems immaterial to them. But many others are working with very modest means, and it hurts to see our investment go up it flames and customer trust being so poorly rewarded.

My thoughts exactly

Good post

Alain

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 3:24 PM

Alain Maashe:

Francis:

I think that folks who have not spent in Pradis products might want to refrain from lecturing those who do about how they should feel.

I would like to see some of the philosophers on this forum reason as they do if in 3 years Logos does the same to us.

My thoughts exactly

Good post

Alain

Mine too!

Rick

Posts 508
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:23 PM

Francis:
I would like to see some of the philosophers on this forum reason as they do if in 3 years Logos does the same to us. I don't believe that they will, but the point is, this is what Zondervan did to Pradis customers. How would the members of the 1K club and above feel if Logos said "sorry, we're closing shop. But Bibleworks will take all our titles and we encourage you to transition with them. They offer a discount too: you'd have to pay twice as much as you already have with us, but rejoice, they kindly offer you a 40% discount!"

How is it any different if a print publisher goes out of business and their books are bought up by another publisher who releases newer editions? If you wanted the newer editions you'd have to pay full price, right?

Why should that be any different for digital books?  Each chapter and each page will have the exact same written content on it, and the only difference will be the publisher who puts out a newer edition. Just like what happens with print books.

We don't get a discount on print books, so why the special treatment for digital?

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:58 PM

Greg, this may seem unkind, but did Zondervan go out of business?  Or are they trying to make money on the same resources again, at even higher prices than the last time we bought them???

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:03 PM

Terry Poperszky:
Joan Korte:
I hope Logos will see this issue clearly.

Hey Terry, where did you get this quote?  It doesn't appear to be what Joan said in her post. 

I think she said:

" I hope Logos or Zondervan (whichever) would see this issue differently."

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:44 PM

rfresno:
Hey Terry, where did you get this quote?  It doesn't appear to be what Joan said in her post. 

That is what happens when somebody quotes your post (freeze framing it into the forum thread) and you come back and edit for a clarity.

It can be good or bad. Stick out tongue Terry could go back and edit his post's quote to reflect her post's subsequent edit but that would be just too much fluxy.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 6:19 AM

Matthew C Jones:
It can be good or bad. Stick out tongue Terry could go back and edit his post's quote

Nah, I will just let people think that I made up her quote to badmouth her. Stick out tongue

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:27 PM

Has ANYONE actually purchase Z products as a former Pradis user (registered)?  Did your 40% discount apply to what you had registered, or to ANY former Pradis product you purchased from Logos?  The Logos blog would say you can't do that, but the Z press release implies/says you can.  It is poorly worded if they mean something other than all new Logos/z products are up for grabs at 40% (if you are a registered Pradis user, and whether or not you owned all titles previously in Pradis that you plan to purchase in Logos).

Help, anyone?

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:29 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Has ANYONE actually purchase Z products as a former Pradis user (registered)?  Did your 40% discount apply to what you had registered, or to ANY former Pradis product you purchased from Logos?  The Logos blog would say you can't do that, but the Z press release implies/says you can.  It is poorly worded if they mean something other than all new Logos/z products are up for grabs at 40% (if you are a registered Pradis user, and whether or not you owned all titles previously in Pradis that you plan to purchase in Logos).

Help, anyone?

See kevin's post from the previous page in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/11953/93558.aspx#93558

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:41 PM

Todd Phillips:

Dan DeVilder:

Help, anyone?

See kevin's post from the previous page in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/11953/93558.aspx#93558

So Kevin got all on discount, even though he only (apparently) owned the EBC?  Thanks for the reminder, Todd.  I had read Purcell's comments yesterday, but so much water has gone under the bridge.  Still, I must say there is a disconnect in the Logos organization.  the blog post today CLEARLY says (in the replies/comments) that only on those products that you owned within Pradis.

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:46 PM

Francis:

That meant -- among other things -- that as new operating systems came out, they had little to offer to keep up with the times. Then, they dropped us altogether.

I still have tapes and have lots of CDs and they have not become obsolete in a matter of a few years. My investment was rewarded and I will keep enjoying them for a while yet. Sure, I can keep on using Pradis for now. But for how long? Without any further updates, the product is at the end of life.

Francis,

An underlying assumption in your post is that Pradis software will soon be obsolete.  The reality is, Pradis can live for a long time if you run a virtual machine.  Whatever operating system Pradis will run on, you can install that operating system on a virtual machine on your current (or future) operating system.  This way, your Pradis investment will still be "rewarded, and [you] can continue enjoying them for a while yet."  I know this is not the ideal situation, but neither is keeping a cassette player around just so you can play older media that you purchased years ago.  

Posts 2835
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:58 PM

Dan DeVilder:
So Kevin got all on discount, even though he only (apparently) owned the EBC?  Thanks for the reminder, Todd.  I had read Purcell's comments yesterday, but so much water has gone under the bridge.  Still, I must say there is a disconnect in the Logos organization.  the blog post today CLEARLY says (in the replies/comments) that only on those products that you owned within Pradis.

I got this from a Sales agent at Logos. I was on the phone and he was going to give me the discount on the full package even though I only own EBC in Pradis (and whatever books came with it, which were just a few).  The ONLY reason I didn't was that you can't do the monthly payment plan on pre-pub orders.

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:12 PM

MJ. Smith:
Off-topic, inappropriate and all that stuff but this is too good an opportunity to pass up. That's why we used MONKS before the printing press.Big Smile

Love it! Geeked

Posts 17
Matt W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:56 PM

Does anyone know if there are any legal issues in converting PRADIS software to PDB ourselves?  I wouldn't expect LOGOS to do this for free, but if someone does it themself wouldn't that be fair use?

If I own a CD that I want to hear on my IPOD, I can convert it according to fair use laws, as long as I don't distribute the copies.  Are ebooks treated differently?

Posts 508
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:26 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
Greg, this may seem unkind, but did Zondervan go out of business?  Or are they trying to make money on the same resources again, at even higher prices than the last time we bought them???

Jim,

No worries, its not unkind at all.

While I cannot speak on the motives of Zondervan, I think they are doing what every other publisher is doing: Re-releasing the same product in a new package. We're not being compelled to double-dip, but we're given the option and an awesome discount to boot.

And I understand what you mean about Zondervan not going out of business. Perhaps a better analogy would be where a publisher re-releases the same book with better formatting and a stronger binding.

We aren't forced to buy the new book, but if we want a better copy we have to, just like everyone else. But, our old copy still works as long as we take care of it. The information contained within is exactly the same.

So when Zondervan goes from Pradis to Logos, they're upgrading the formatting and binding and leaving the actual information unchanged. If you want the benefits of the new edition, you have to buy it.

The 40% discount is just icing on the cake, in my opinion.

I just don't view digital books any differently than print-books.

Posts 6
Rich James | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 7:30 PM

Like many of you I own just about everything Zondervan has put out(both 5 and 6). 40% off is a little help but I am a student , pastor and father of three. I can't afford it . It took all I have to get Logos 4. I think both Zondervan and Logos needs to work with us more. This is very discourging

Kyle Brown

Dallas, Texas

Page 2 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS