Crashing indexer

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:47 AM

After an over 700mb update, I began indexing. The indexer keeps crashing. I've been running L4 since November and have not had any real problems thus far.

windows 7 64bit, 1.3 dual core, 4mb ddr3

I looked at a couple threads concerning indexing crashing, and I have tried starting logos with a blank workspace layout, but it still won't finish indexing.

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:22 AM

I think you can fix this problem by telling Logos 4 to rebuild the index from scratch. To do this, enter rebuild index into the Logos 4 command box.

See this thread for others who've had the same error: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9849.aspx

I believe this is a problem with merging indexes, and I think it's fixed in beta (and in the next official release).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:01 AM

I'm also having this problem after the update last night. The indexer keeps crashing. I think the log did indeed end somewhere with a message saying it's going to merge the index. And also with something like: program unhandled exception document id is outside valid range.

I'll try to do the rebuild index later.

I also didn't have any problems with any indexing since december.

Thanks for the info

Posts 50
Robert Lombardi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:09 AM

My indexer crashed twice after the update. I'm rebuilding now. This indexer is very buggy. Not only me, but my friend also had indexer crashes and informed him to delete everything to start from scratch. That was the only way that worked for me the last time because there were corrupt resources that were causing the indexer to crash. I hope this time it's not the corrupt resources and just a corrupt merge.

Deleting the entire installation and starting over is no fun. Not quite as bad as reformatting your hard drive and re-installing the OS.

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 5:29 AM

Deleting the index files fixed the problem, but do I have to do this again after the 4.0b update is released? Or will it be able to merge the indexes from 4.0a without any problems?

Thanks

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 10:25 AM

There seems to be a lot of indexer crashes since the update.

Can any of the beta testers confirm if we will need to rebuild/delete the index again after the new 4.0b version comes out? If I need to do the same thing again then I'd rather wait with adding any new resources. Right now there's no supplemental index.

A complete indexing is a little annoying. It slows down my system and I can't use L4 for a whole day.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 10:33 AM

After running a "rebuild index" the problem is fixed. It only took about 5 hours. So all is well.

Thanks Todd

Posts 26579
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:05 AM

Henry Finkle:

Deleting the index files fixed the problem, but do I have to do this again after the 4.0b update is released? Or will it be able to merge the indexes from 4.0a without any problems?

Logos are still working on this, so it is not 100%. Indexes merged in 4.0a will almost certainly have to be rebuilt (and if the Indexer did it successfully you would not know!).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 12:13 PM

Dave Hooton:

Henry Finkle:

Logos are still working on this, so it is not 100%. Indexes merged in 4.0a will almost certainly have to be rebuilt (and if the Indexer did it successfully you would not know!).

Dave,

Can 4.0b force a rebuild of the index?  If not, how does someone know or remember if they merged the index in 4.0a and fall into the group of having to have their index re-built?

I am losing more confidence everytime I read all the issues in these threads which people report with a new download/update of L4 so I have stopped using L4 for anything.  BTW, thanks so much for all the help you provide users!!!  God Bless.

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:15 PM

Joan Korte:
an 4.0b force a rebuild of the index?  If not, how does someone know or remember if they merged the index in 4.0a and fall into the group of having to have their index re-built?

There is a new index (Bible index) in the current beta so, yes, it will cause indexing but for a new index.

Joan Korte:
I am losing more confidence everytime I read all the issues in these threads which people report with a new download/update of L4 so I have stopped using L4 for anything.

As I mentioned on another thread, the percentage of people having problems is small; the percentage of those that are severe is small. The main reasons for sticking with L3 rather than moving to L4 are:

1) your computer does not meet minimum system requirements for L4.

2) you use Logos primarily for features not yet in L4.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26579
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:57 PM

Joan Korte:
Can 4.0b force a rebuild of the index?  If not, how does someone know or remember if they merged the index in 4.0a and fall into the group of having to have their index re-built?

It's best to let it arise as a problem rather than presume you have one because you can't control whether the Indexer decides to merge, but you can avoid doing it yourself in 4.0a.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 4:24 AM

MJ. Smith:

Joan Korte:
an 4.0b force a rebuild of the index?  If not, how does someone know or remember if they merged the index in 4.0a and fall into the group of having to have their index re-built?

There is a new index (Bible index) in the current beta so, yes, it will cause indexing but for a new index.

Joan Korte:
I am losing more confidence everytime I read all the issues in these threads which people report with a new download/update of L4 so I have stopped using L4 for anything.

As I mentioned on another thread, the percentage of people having problems is small; the percentage of those that are severe is small. The main reasons for sticking with L3 rather than moving to L4 are:

1) your computer does not meet minimum system requirements for L4.

2) you use Logos primarily for features not yet in L4.

MJ,

You do not know how ultra conservative and proactive I am with my computer as I mentioned in another thread.  And I really don't want to have to call tech support with any sort of a problem. 

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:19 PM

Joan Korte:
You do not know how ultra conservative and proactive I am with my computer

Perhaps not. But in this particular aspect you remind me of my elder sister.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS