Surface Pro 3 i5 8gb 256 or Surface Pro 4 m3 4gb 128 best for Logos

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2016 6:21 PM

Duncan - its been about a month since this post. are you still happy with your SP3 with the 8gb ram and 256 hd? I have a mac book pro 2009 and like the idea of a combo laptop and tablet using the pen and touch screen. Like you it seems it might be best to use some of the money for a more robust SP3 rather than the newer SP4.  Have you noticed any stylist issues on the 3 VS 4? Or read anything that caused you to rethink 3 vs 4?

Posts 92
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2016 11:20 PM

Hi Rodney,

In terms of Logos use, I found the SP3 really good. With the SSD it ran fast enough, and I was able to have Logos open along with Accordance, Onenote, Bible Analyser, Word and a web browser, using the virtual desktop feature of Windows 10, without noticing any real slow down, that said, I wasn't searching with all the bible software at the same time, but they were open at the same time, and I switched between them easily.I think the 8gb ram probably helped in this regard.

I only really noticed the fan on the Surface Pro kicking in during original setup, and while Logos was indexing, which is an area that I had originally been concerned about, before I made my purchase, but it seemed to rarely come on, and was fairly quiet.

Having said that, due to 2 different hardware faults my Surface Pro 3 had to be exchanged twice, and in the end I paid extra for the i5 256 8gb Surface Pro 4, which I received only yesterday. It was more than I had originally planned on spending, and was happy with how Logos ran on the 3, but took the leap because I was concerned about the hardware faults I had experienced, and the SP3 models were becoming harder to get, so that is why I changed to the SP4.

The first fault I experienced was, about 2 weeks after purchase, when my SP3 displayed the battery not present message and would not charge or run from battery. This was immediately exchanged for another SP3. Unfortunately, although the replacement charged fine, and did not display this message, it regularly displayed the incorrect time, and it turned out that the clock stopped whenever the Surface was shut down. Again, this was deemed to be a hardware fault, and another exchange offered.

It was at this point that I decided to pay the extra and go for the  i5 256 8gn SP4. I was concerned that the small number of this model of SP3 still available in the UK could be a faulty batch, given the issues I had had with 2 models.

I obviously haven't had much time to use Logos on the SP4 yet, having only received it yesterday, but it did seem as if the initial indexing of Logos was a little quicker on the SP4. Once I have had time to use Logos more on the SP4, I'm quite happy to post again about my experiences.

I hope this is of some help.

Blessings

Duncan 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2016 1:20 PM

Keep us posted on your experience with the SP4, please.  We appreciate the comments and insights.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2016 4:28 AM

I am also blessed with the i5 256 8GB Surface Pro 4 (for a couple of weeks now) and am really amazed. IMHO it is ideal device for running Logos (if only Logos would be more touch friendly) but it works well with the pen. I am even playing with the thought to get the special hub for all the connections and charging at my desk and use it as the only machine with the extra monitor etc. After using iPad and Lenovo Yoga 10" so far as my preaching/reading tool, I am so happy with real smooth experience and superb monitor quality on Surface Pro 4. Also, just to add: the typing on the cover-keyboard is comparable with the best of notebooks I tried and used.

Bohuslav

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS