I need HELP with word studies

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:57 PM

I have Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words in my collections. I really like this tool and it became my first resource that I used in 3.0. When I do the exegetical guide word study this resource does not appear. Only the CHALOT and 2 or 3 other lexicons. How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help. Just another learning thing in 4.0, which the more that I use it, the more that I am liking it.

Aaron

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:00 PM

BTW, I have already "prioritized" this resource to the top of the list and given it 5 stars hoping that would do the trick. I guess the reason might be that it not recognized by Logos 4.0 as a word study resource.

Aaron

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:15 PM

Aaron,

It would be helpful to have some additional information:

What version of Vine's are you using (the 'complete expository dictionary' or just the 'expository dictionary')?

What word are you doing the BWS on?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1660
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:49 PM

Rev Aaron R Baldridge:
given it 5 stars hoping that would do the trick

Dear Aaron, it is good that you have prioritized it, but as far as I know the "5 Stars" are for your own searches, tagging, collections etc. The "stars" would not effect the resource being "seen" or "available' for Word Study, etc.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:42 PM

I have the Complete Dictionary

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:45 PM

Sorry Mark,

I forgot the second part of the question. I am doing a study of "covenant" from Genesis. I opened the resource in my library and found the information that I wanted but it would be much easier if Logos would automatically do it for me.

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:06 PM

Perhaps I am approaching this differently. I right clicked on 'covenant' in Genesis 6:18 and selected 'Selection' and then Bible Word Study:

Under the Definition section and to the right there is a list of my lexicons and dictionaries. I clicked on 'more' and scrolled down and found both Vine's dictionaries:

So while they are not at the top of my list (I haven't prioritized them) they are there.

If I start the same study using the Hebrew lemma I get the following:

In this case the Vine's dictionaries are missing. I suspect this has to do with a decision by Logos to have Hebrew lexicons appear in a Hebrew language word study. Vine's is primarily a resource for English-speakers, so it shows up when we start with the English word. The 'Complete Dictionary' is indexed by Hebrew headwords (the other version is not) so we can search it for the Hebrew word (in Hebrew) and come up with it. Thus it would seem Logos could display this resource in the example above. They must have chosen not to.

Start with the English word rather than the Hebrew lemma and you can get to Vine's.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:14 PM

Mark

That sure enough fixed it! Just a different way to get at it than in 3.0. I appreciate you helping me get used to this new platform.

Aaron

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS