Strong's numbers filtering backwards or in the negative

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 148
Michael Wert | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 7 2015 4:06 AM

I have found the below in filters to work

Bible, all passages in ESV

<G1-G5877> to turn green (or whatever)

BUT want I really want is the words in English that do not have a Strongs # to be a different color or be marked.

Hopefully, just a simple Boolean issue (if that is the right word?)

I know I could just read it in OpenText, but.....

Mike

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2015 5:01 PM

Try   * NOTEQUALS <G1-G5877> 

It produces some false positives and incorrect results, but that is the nature of reverse interlinear's

Not recommended as a visual filter because of the time it takes.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 148
Michael Wert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2015 7:13 PM

Thanks, the above did work BUT you are correct, the amount of time was ridicules.  Mike

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 3:29 PM

Mike:

BUT want I really want is the words in English that do not have a Strongs # to be a different color or be marked.

One idea is enabling Inline Interlinear in ESV to show Surface and Manuscript.

Surface text with Manuscript dot are English words added by translators: e.g. "are" in Matthew 5:3-5

In Matthew 5:3, a stilted literal one for one word translation of "Μακάριοι οἱ πτωχοὶ τῷ πνεύματι," is "Blessed the poor the spirit" so ESV manuscript line has a dot under "are"; the article before spirit is in the dative case so ESV translation has "in" (instead of "the").

A stilted literal translation of "ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν" is "for theirs it is the kingdom of the heaven"; the verb ἐστιν is singular third person (he, she, it) while αὐτῶν is plural, which does not appear in smooth English translation.

A stilted literal translation of Matthew 5:4 "μακάριοι οἱ πενθοῦντες, ὅτι αὐτοὶ παρακληθήσονται" is "Blessed the mourning, for they they shall be comforted".  The verb παρακληθήσονται (Greek # 3870) is future, passive, third person, indicative, plural.  For smoother translation, the plural third person pronoun αὐτοὶ and third person plural from verb παρακληθήσονται are combined into one "they".  Passive voice means comforting action being received, which combines with future tense for "they shall be comforted" translation; ESV has arrows under "shall be" to show translation for παρακληθήσονται 

Logos wiki has Visual  filters for showing range of Greek verbal expression => https://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters

By the way, Strong's numbered the lemma (dictionary) form of Greek words.  The number lacks contextual inflected usage within a sentence.  Personally use Strong's numbers when prioritizing lexicons so right click on a word in ESV has one set of discussion lexicons for lemma while having a different set for Strong's number => searching strong's numbers

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS