Logos 4 Index Merge Crash

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Richard Flink | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:17 PM

I've seen that others have noticed problems merging indexes, so I thought I'd share mine in the loop.

I presume the present solution is to delete/rebuild the index entirely, but I'm sure this isn't ideal!

Maybe with more data we can get to a real solution sooner.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:18 PM

The merge bugs in 4.0a have been fixed in 4.0b. You are right, though, right now the only solution is to rebuild.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:28 PM

Richard Flink:
I presume the present solution is to delete/rebuild the index entirely, but I'm sure this isn't ideal!

As far as I can tell, the present solution is the real solution. Once the index is corrupted, it has to be rebuilt.  The fix that 4.0b provides is to prevent the corruption in the first place.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2206
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:35 PM

When is 4.0b expected?

Posts 54
Steve Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:02 PM

What do you mean by "rebuild"?

Logos is trying to index after installing new books. It keeps stopping with a warning from Windows saying "Logos 4 Indexer has encountered a problem and needs to close."  Is this the problem others are having?

What do I have to do to get it fixed?

Posts 2206
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:14 PM

Steve

The way I have found to fix this is to find the index folder and delete everything in the folder.  Then restart L4 and let it index again.

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:31 PM

MarkSwaim:
The way I have found to fix this is to find the index folder and delete everything in the folder.  Then restart L4 and let it index again.

The supported way is to enter "rebuild index" into the command box.

Posts 2206
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:51 PM

Peter Venable:
The supported way is to enter "rebuild index" into the command box.

And the supported way has been used because it is the supported way.  But it does not solve all the problems and in fact does not solve the problem most of the time for me.  On another thread recently (dont have time to look it up) I received confirmation that deleting the contents of the index folder does in fact work as the last resort and for me it is the quickest way to rebuild the index.  It also is the fastest because when I wake up in the morning it is either done or close to done.  While the supported way takes me into crashes, hibernation, endless loops...and never finishes.

I am glad a Logos employee has weighed in on this, but the reality is something different for some users.  We have just been told that the merge problem is fixed in 4.0b which means there was a problem in 4.0a.  Logos might have announced that there was a problem in 4a, but I dont recall it and judging from forum comments, not many others knew it either.

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 3:06 PM

MarkSwaim:
While the supported way takes me into crashes, hibernation, endless loops...and never finishes.

Are you saying that there are problems with the "rebuild index" command?  Please give details so we can fix them.

Posts 34
Ian McAsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 3:34 PM

I too have recently downloaded more resources but when indexing starts it continues to index but then a problem crops up. I have attached my indexer logs:

Posts 60
Edwin Kwok | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 3:56 PM

Peter Venable:

MarkSwaim:
While the supported way takes me into crashes, hibernation, endless loops...and never finishes.

Are you saying that there are problems with the "rebuild index" command?  Please give details so we can fix them.

I also had problem with "rebuild index", it crashed in the same way as "merge index". So I deleted all index files and I am waiting right now for the indexing to finish (if it does not crash too).

Edwin

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 3:56 PM

Ian, you indeed have the same problem, so it's time to rebuild your index.

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 3:59 PM

EdwinKwok:
I also had problem with "rebuild index", it crashed in the same way as "merge index".

I've seen some mention in the forums of "rebuild index" actually causing a merge rather than a full rebuild, so maybe that happened for you too. 

If anyone catches it merging when a rebuild was requested, I'd be interested in seeing the log.

Posts 34
Ian McAsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 4:09 PM

Peter Venable:
Ian, you indeed have the same problem, so it's time to rebuild your index.

Re-building now - 21 hours to go. . . . then I have my notebook to do as well!!

I'll see how it goes by morning.

Good night

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 4:14 PM

I'm sorry indexing is such a pain... I'm trying to make it better.

Posts 2206
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 5:48 PM

Peter Venable:

I'm sorry indexing is such a pain... I'm trying to make it better.

Peter

Thank you for your posts.  I know you are all working hard to make L4 better.  Some of us are not beta testers and dont have time to continuously load up logs and wait for fixes and get involved in the technical side of the program.  There have been much posting on the forum about indexing problems and not much response from Logos about the indexing issues. I cannot imagine the complications that comes with programing indexing and I am very sure in future releases, these indexing issues we write about will be history.  But I want to point out again that posts have been made about all kinds of indexing issues.  Not much is different from what has already been posted elsewhere. 

I really wonder if the age of the machine and the specs, as well as the resources that came from other companies under L3 are the reasons behind much of the problems with indexing.  I am no expert and dont pretend to be.  I buy the program and expect that from time to time there will be issues and I will need  upload a log to get it resolved.  But I dont expect to need to do this every week.  Can't find the home page?  Upload a log.  Can't index?  Upload a log.  Can't do searches?  Let me see the log.  And then when a log is uploaded, the problem lies on my machine and not with L4.  I need to clean it, fix a corrupt area, all kinds of technical things.  I just want the program to work. 

With indexing, deleting the content of the index folder seems to work.  It does not help you to find the problems.  But it does help the user to get up and running again.  Someone wrote this method is not supported.  What in the world does that mean?  Does it mean that if we have more problems, then LOGOS will not support their customer?  If that is so, then that says a lot, especially when many forum posts show there are problems with indexing and there has been silence for the most part by LOGOS themselves. 

Someone posted that 4.0b fixes some of the indexing issues.  I ask when 4.0b is expected to be released.  And there is silence.  So should be be patient or frustrated?  If I knew 4.0b would be release mid March, I am patient.  If the question is met with silence, then I am a frustrated customer and ignore the please to upload logs and just do the fix that works.

Posts 4
Richard Flink | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 8:35 PM

I thought I should re-weigh in on this.

I deleted (moved to another folder) the contents of the LibraryIndex folder, and restarted L4.

I let it run while at work, and by the time I got back, it seems to be working just fine. No 'supplemental' files in the folder, just the regular 'index' ones, however there's still a "My Content" section in search results (and it apparently takes 0.16s to return 0 results in 0 documents). Not sure what that's all about, or if it has been there before the original supplemental index was created.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 11:31 PM

Richard Flink:
however there's still a "My Content" section in search results

This comes from a search of documents you have created in L4 eg. Handouts, Clippings, Notes.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 11:42 PM

Peter Venable:
I've seen some mention in the forums of "rebuild index" actually causing a merge rather than a full rebuild,

There is a shortcut issue that does that - see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11459.aspx  But it is usually the other way round, where a merge was requested but a rebuild resulted because of some detected issue.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 11:57 PM

Peter Venable:

MarkSwaim:

It seems that Rebuild Index gets state information that is unreliable whereas deleting the index folder circumvents that query. If you search (Google) with something like delete and libraryindex and hooton you should get some relevant posts.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS