L3 Question: How to get L3 to use open resources - instead of opening another instance?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 19 2010 8:47 PM

I have a nice workspace with several Bibles, and Commentaries available via the Parallel Resources button in each window or tile.

But my problem is that when I run a Passage Guide and it lists, for example, all my Commentaries - if I click on a link to one of the Commentaries that is already available (& open) in a tile - Logos 3 still opens another instance of that Commentary.

Is there a way to make it so that if I have a resource open already, and I click on a link to that open resource in a Passage Guide or Exegetical Guide, that Logos 3 will use the open resource - instead of opening another instance of it?     

I hope I'm being clear enough - and that someone can help.  Thanks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the double post but I thought maybe the Subject wasn't clear enough.  

Just trying to get some help since I use L3 as well as L4.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 9:36 PM

Maybe I'll just have to call Logos Technical Support.

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 9:47 PM

Click on the "Reference Target" icon on the toolbar at the top of that commentary:

This is equivalent to the "Send hyperlinks here" option on the panel menu for resources in L4:

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:49 AM

Rosie Perera:

Click on the "Reference Target" icon on the toolbar at the top of that commentary:

This is equivalent to the "Send hyperlinks here" option on the panel menu for resources in L4:

Hi Rosie,

The problem is that I already have my Bible tile, Commentary tile and Interlinear tile (which I guess I could combine with my other Bibles) linked together on set A. Plus I also have a my Logos Bible Software Home Page (Bible Study Starter) and a Dictionary tile - not linked to anything. 

And even when I click the "Reference Target" icon on all 3 of those tiles - the same behavior is still happening. 

An Example: (after clicking the Reference Target icon on all tiles) Then I run a Passage Guide and it lists all my Commentaries. 

It should be - that if I click the link in that Passage Guide to the Bible Knowledge Commentary - (which is open and showing in my Commentary tile), L3 should use that open resource (BKC), but it doesn't.  It still opens another instance (i.e.; another window) of The Bible Knowledge Commentary.

There's got to be a way to make it so that if a resource is already open - that Logos 3 can detect that so that it uses the open resource - not opens another instance.  This is annoying because it opens these new instances over the top of my saved workspace tiles. 

It should only open a new window for a resource if that resource is not already open.  But it's not doing that. I must be missing a setting somewhere.

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 1:54 AM

Link Set is independent from Reference Target (sort of). You shouldn't need to click Reference Target on all 3 of those tiles, just the commentary, in order to send links there.

But you're right. I had not tried out clicking on the link from Passage Guide. I was trying it from Search results (which does pay attention to the "Reference Target" setting). It looks like the links from Passage Guide don't. I'm not sure if there is any way to get it to do what you want, and I'm no longer spending time getting to know L3 better, as I'm totally over on L4 now. Sorry.

L4 does this correctly.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 2:14 AM

Rosie Perera:
L4 does this correctly.
Oh Rosie!  You're just rying to get me into L4 only, and have me go cold turkey on L3!  -  (Which, by the way I'm woking on.)Wink

Thanks for the input though.

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 3:11 AM

Stein Dahl:

Rosie Perera:
L4 does this correctly.
Oh Rosie!  You're just rying to get me into L4 only, and have me go cold turkey on L3!  -  (Which, by the way I'm woking on.)Wink

I think the people who have gone cold turkey have had an easier time of getting into L4. Not that I'm trying to make you like L4 sooner than you're ready. But it's kind of like ripping off a band-aid. If you do it slowly you'll just drag out the hurt for a longer time. Continuing to do major work in L3 will slow down your learning curve in L4. People who have used nothing but L4 for a month, even if they squawked loudly about it when they first started using it, have usually come to like it better than L3 and when they try going back to L3 for one reason or another, they can't believe how old and clunky it seems.

But I know how you feel. I used to be a hanger-on when new versions or completely new systems came out that replaced old software I knew well and loved. I was using a text-based email system for years after nearly everyone else at my company had switched to Winmail (an early precursor to what is now Outlook). I didn't like the new-fangled "Friendly Names" -- I wanted to see people's email addresses as that's how I thought of their identity. Smile When people sent me attachments, I couldn't read them. That is finally what drove me to give up on Xenix mail and move into the 1990s...

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:40 PM

Rosie Perera:
I think the people who have gone cold turkey have had an easier time of getting into L4. Not that I'm trying to make you like L4 sooner than you're ready. But it's kind of like ripping off a band-aid. If you do it slowly you'll just drag out the hurt for a longer time. Continuing to do major work in L3 will slow down your learning curve in L4. People who have used nothing but L4 for a month, even if they squawked loudly about it when they first started using it, have usually come to like it better than L3 and when they try going back to L3 for one reason or another, they can't believe how old and clunky it seems.
Yes, I know what you mean.  I actually like L4 quite a lot.  It's just the missing features, and the fact that L4 seems slower, that drive me nuts.  Plus, I had basically given up trying to figure out all the in's and outs of L3 (although I did not yet own a base Library like Scholars Gold) so it was just sitting on my PC unused for the most part.  Then when L4 came out I bought it immediately - (finally ending up with the L4 Scholars Gold Library) - because I could see the potential.

Well, once I understood that I could use my L4 books in L3 - that got me to go back and revisit what I had learned of using L3.  Now that I had the resources, I determined that I was going to learn how to really use it because I had owned it for several years but hadn't really figured it out.  Then after watching several online L3 tutorials (especially the one on Customizing and setting up L3), I began to realize that I had only scratched the surface of what L3 could do.  I had never been to a Camp Logos, so I didn't really know how awesome this Bible software was.  Plus, L3 had always seemed too complicated to me, and I couldn't seem to set it up in a way I liked and get it to do what I wanted it to do. 

But, when I bought L4 and finally decided to learn to use them both, I went ahead and also bought the L3 and L4 manuals, and the L3 tutorial DVD by Morris Proctor.  And after going through my L3 manual, and watching all of the online L3 tutorial videos (which I'm ashamed to say, I had not watched), I was simply blown away in learning what L3 was capable of doing.  And L4 can do even more!  -  How awesome is that?

So, needless to say, I love them both now.  And I want to learn to use them both to their full potential.

About using already open resources in L3: I'll contact tech support, and if it can't be done I'll go back to my old workspace - which is to basically start from scratch each time with the Logos Bible Software Home Page (Bible Study Starter).  When I start there, it works as expected, opening only one instance of each resource from the links in the Passage Guide or Exegetical Guide.       

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 4:00 PM

Has anyone figured this out yet?  I played with this and keylinks and power tools, but I couldn't figure it out.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS