Search passage in all commentaries for keywords

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Andrew Smothers | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:21 PM

I have a question on how to perform a complex search in Logos.  I’d like to search all commentaries for a portion that cover a specific passage for keywords.

eg.  I’d like to search Luke 2:40-52 sections of all biblical commentaries for the word “sanctification.”  Is this possible in Logos 6? Thanks so much!
Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:34 PM

Try the search below on a collection of your commentaries

sanctification WITHIN {Milestone <Luke 2:40-52>}

Posts 1432
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:36 PM

Sure, and much more. 

First, you should create a "Collection" for your commentaries (more on this in the Wiki helps, or you can import these collections to help you get started: https://faithlife.com/commentary-types/activity

In the interim, you can search what you want like this (Im sure the experts will give better advice, but this will help until they do):

Click search (make sure it is a Basic search), then click on All Resources so you will be presented with a box by which to specify which resources you want (this is why Collections are so important, you can choose your specific predefined Collection here if you had one). 

Anyway, in that box that will appear after clicking on All Resources,type this type:"Bible Commentary", including the quotations. This will tell Logos to look ONLY in your commentaries. 

Then in the search box type this: <Bible=Luke 2:40-52> NEAR sanctification   

Or this: <Bible~Luke 2:40-52> NEAR sanctification

Or this: <Bible Luke 2:40-52> NEAR sanctification

The first searches EXACTLY that passage for the word sanctification nearby. 

The second looks for any verse in the passage included in a passage in you commentary, near sanctification. 

The third allows Logos to decide what results are best to present to you. 

You can also try: <Bible Luke 2:40-52> WITHIN 10 WORDS sanctification, and can change the number to 15 or 20, or whatever, as you need to broaden search results. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 1432
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:38 PM

Graham. how does your search differ from the one I suggested. I am unfamiliar with the milestone with brackets search. 

Thanks! 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:40 PM

Graham Criddle:

Try the search below on a collection of your commentaries

Thanks Graham that is a very powerful search command.

It will enable me to narrow my searches down to only a few pages of each resource.

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:43 PM

Myke

It searches for articles indexed by the verse(s)

See the discussion at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92761.aspx where it is introduced.

It is also described in the Logos 6 help file.

Sorry I can't give more details, not at my computer at the moment.

Posts 7
Andrew Smothers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2016 2:30 PM

Thanks Myke and Graham!

I apologize for the delayed response, but these approaches were VERY helpful.  I'll be saving these away to refer back.

May you find blessing in ministry...

-Andy

Posts 26687
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2016 12:05 AM

Myke Harbuck:
Or this: <Bible Luke 2:40-52> NEAR sanctification

This looks for bible references to Luke 2:40-52 close to the word sanctification, whereas

will search for the word within the Luke 2:40-52 articles of biblical commentaries, as requested.

In both cases the match is an intersection, so Lk 2:41-52,  Lk 2:39-52 are valid results.

I note that the word sanctification is not relevant to that bible passage (no results!)

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 148
Michael Wert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2016 3:09 AM

Dave Hooton:

I note that the word sanctification is not relevant to that bible passage (no results!)

Yes

Only one from John Owen

52. This verse covers the eighteen years of his life, which intervened between the incident just mentioned, and the time of his public ministry. During this time his mental powers were constantly enlarging and strengthening, and his physical growth was uninterrupted by sickness or disease. Some take the word stature, in the sense of age, and translate "advanced in wisdom as he advanced in age." But this is tautological, for how can one advance in wisdom, and not at the same time be advancing in age? The natural and apposite reference is to his physical development. In favor with God (see N. on v. 40). A question naturally suggests itself, if Jesus was always pure and sinless, how he could be said to increase in holiness, which is implied in his advancement in the divine favor. To this it may be replied, that progressive holiness does not necessarily imply sin, in any stage of its development. Gabriel is sinless, yet his holiness is but a remote approximation to that of God. A saint raised to heaven is free from sin, yet no one would say that this glorified saint has made such attainments in holiness, and stands so high in the favor of God, as Gabriel or Michael. Our Lord in his human nature advanced in holiness. In answer to prayer, he obtained from time to time clearer and more exalted views of God, was confirmed more and more in habits of holy living, and made higher progress in all that pertains to the sanctification of the spirit. But this by no means implies, that he ever did a wrong act or had a sinful thought, or that his nature was other than pure and holy. Nor does it imply that in his divine nature, he was not from his earliest incarnation infinitely holy. The only thing meant is that, as a perfect man, he passed through all the appropriate developments of childhood, youth, and manhood, exhibiting in each stage a faultless character, upon which the eye of God rested with holy complacency.

Thanks to everyone who reminds me of these things, and the way to search in Logos

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS