Another reason I prefer Logos

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2015 4:21 PM

I still find myself ordering print books and don't mind the extra time involved in getting them. Until now. I ordered two books on the 17th from Amazon. One was a wish list book that never got into Logos and the other was a present for someone. It's now the 23rd and still nothing shipped. Does it really take that long to put two books in a box and put a shipping label with postage on the box? Of course not but this is Amazon. I probably won't use them again.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 4:24 PM

Odd - unless I am forewarned at the time I place my order, I rarely fail to get the books within 3 or 4 days ... once it was actually the same day! When you placed your order, what did Amazon say was the expected arrival date?

P.S. What does this have to do with Logos software? or what is your motivation for posting here?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 5:36 PM

Books in Logos download immediately. I don't have to be home to get them, or track a package.

It's too bad too. I used to like ordering from Amazon. And I still need print books, but no more from them.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 597
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 5:47 PM

I struggle back and forth between Amazon's digital books and Logos. The only advantages that Amazon has over Logos is (1) much more books on Kindle than Logos and (2) an e-ink reader like the Paperwhite or the Voyage.

In terms of functionality of the books and library integration Logos wins by a mile easily... but if I actually want to read a book for any length of time (and I do everyday) I want it on a small, light tablet with an e-ink display. And then there is the fact that Logos just doesn't have many books, even the hot new releases in theology (not to mention philosophy or philosophy of religion), whereas Amazon almost always does.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 2071
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 5:55 PM

MJ. Smith:
once it was actually the same day!

Being close to an Amazon distribution center helps. I've never received something same-day, but if it comes from the Chattanooga facility, it gets to Atlanta really fast. MAB may be across the pond (or is reckoning days by sunset), so maybe the Amazon facilities there aren't as close.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 6:33 PM

I used to get most of my stuff from Amazon faster and it's all been to me here in the Midwest. It's less about speed than responsiveness. Will see what happens.

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 6:58 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
The only advantages that Amazon has over Logos is (1) much more books on Kindle than Logos and (2) an e-ink reader like the Paperwhite or the Voyage.

Are you familiar with the "send to kindle" feature in Logos? It is perfect for these situations. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 9:31 PM

mab:

I still find myself ordering print books and don't mind the extra time involved in getting them. Until now. I ordered two books on the 17th from Amazon. One was a wish list book that never got into Logos and the other was a present for someone. It's now the 23rd and still nothing shipped. Does it really take that long to put two books in a box and put a shipping label with postage on the box? Of course not but this is Amazon. I probably won't use them again.

That is certainly NOT my experience with Amazon.  Maybe they just like me. 

Of course, Amazon is not a brick and mortar store.  They are a middle man.  It often is not Amazon that is putting the book into a box and mailing it to you.  Amazon even sells used books from individuals, much like ebay.  I am sure is a supplier is not shipping promptly they would probably like to know. 

That said, I prefer to buy my theological books from Logos, unless the price difference is very large. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 10:51 PM

Michael Childs:
Of course, Amazon is not a brick and mortar store.

With one exception - University Village mall in Seattle http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13270229011 Naturally it opened just after I moved out of the area.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1262
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 12:47 AM

There was one awful time a couple of years ago when my Logos books took a full 2 days to download! Some kind of server woes... I found it really frustrating;)

#spoiled!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 1:37 AM

Several years ago I ordered a Christmas gift package from a large company for my parents at least three weeks before Christmas. My father called me about the third week in January and asked why I sent it. Apparently it didn't ship until just a couple days earlier. No notification whatsoever there would be a delay. The company refunded my money (after I called), but the completely clueless manner in handling even that lost any confidence to ever order from them again.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 2:28 AM

A while back we had to wait for Logos to ship discs with the books we ordered.

I live along the Northeast corridor and rarely have to wait more than a day or two for shipments to arrive from Amazon - even without specialty shipping

Posts 2784
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 5:25 AM

mab:

Hi mab;

A strategy that I used in the past with Amazon was to do the "Amazon Prime" free trial during a time of heavy ordering (this season), and to select most of the items that are "Fulfilled by Amazon". That way, I would get the free 2-day shipping for anything. The trial of prime usually was 30 days, so I would mark my calendar 4 or 5 days short of the 30 and cancel the prime subscription because you will not be notified when the trial ends. At $79 (now it's $114), maintaining a "Prime" subscriptions was not economical because I would only do heavy ordering once or twice a year. I can only remember 1 time that the orders were late by 1 or 2 days.

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 5:34 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
At $79 (now it's $114), maintaining a "Prime" subscriptions was not economical because I would only do heavy ordering once or twice a year.

At this point, 2 day shipping is only one of the reasons I have a prime membership.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2784
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 5:36 AM

MJ. Smith:

Michael Childs:
Of course, Amazon is not a brick and mortar store.

With one exception - University Village mall in Seattle http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13270229011 Naturally it opened just after I moved out of the area.

In our area (NJ USA), I remember the B&N stores having an Amazon section within the stores. It may have been some kind of pilot program. That was about 10 or 15 years ago. Actually the store in your link looks like a lot of the B&N stores in NJ.

Posts 2784
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 5:47 AM

alabama24:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
At $79 (now it's $114), maintaining a "Prime" subscriptions was not economical because I would only do heavy ordering once or twice a year.

At this point, 2 day shipping is only one of the reasons I have a prime membership.

Yes, it makes sense for that alone. It has other advantages and features such as a Netflix type service, but I exclusively used it for the 2-day shipping. For some, it even makes sense to maintain the subscription year around, but if you don't have a truck dock attached to your home, it is probably more economical to do the free trial at select times of the year and pay regular shipping at other times. Smile

Posts 1730
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 5:59 AM

Amazon overseas shipments can take up to 3 months, although normally it is much faster: I assume they send the books from Netherlands in most cases. 

Then I put the book in the bookshelf hoping I'll have time to read it some day. It is just a matter of attitude Indifferent

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 597
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 7:23 AM

alabama24:
Are you familiar with the "send to kindle" feature in Logos? It is perfect for these situations.

Yes, I am familiar with it... I didn't consider it though because it doesn't export the footnotes and I consider those essential.

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 7:36 AM

None of these comments say what is the right or wrong choice for anyone.  Use what works for you.

Personally, as I said, I prefer all my pastor's library in Logos, and have for about 25 years now.  I do still want some special paper books, and I frequently buy from Amazon.  They have served me well. 

I have bought ebooks from Amazon and converted them into Logos personal books, when Logos did not carry the book. 

I have never used another Bible program, and obviously my investment of tens of thousands of dollars in Logos resources makes me hesitant to do so.  But I must admit, I am struggling with the temptation to buy Anchor Yale Bible for under $800.  So far, I have not yielded to the temptation.  (It is easier to resist such temptation with 9 young grandchildren at Christmas.)

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 597
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 8:29 AM

I need to correct my earlier comment. I did some further searching into the "send to kindle" feature and discovered that it does export the footnotes (and it even puts Bible references in footnotes!). This is extremely helpful. Thanks for causing me to take a second look at it.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS