Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 28 of 33 (646 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last »
This post has 645 Replies | 44 Followers

Posts 17963
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 4:39 AM

Kolen Cheung:
Think about the situation of Steam and SteamOS. It offers people a platform to use their product directly without relying on anything else (i.e. no cost attached to the OS it relies on.) Logos could do the same thing here. For some people Logos could be the only OS they need. They boot into it and the only thing they use is Logos (notes jot in it, sermon created it in, browsing wikipedia with it, etc.)

Appears SteamOS has gaming console focus without mouse and keyboard. Faithlife developers would need to include more Debian packages (e.g. a file system, image viewer) for application/presentation/TV use along with partnering with Steam for their online store (could be useful for Faithlife TV).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 4:55 PM

I'm not talking about that. I'm saying something like Steam offering a SteamOS, or Kodi offering a Kodibuntu.

Like Kodibuntu, Logos can be the desktop to log in, instead of logging into some desktop and open Logos. i.e. Logos can be something some people only use (well some sort of browser is needed but given Logos already has a wikipedia module it is not something entirely out of Logos' reach. Perhaps a Javascript jit compiler is not that there. But besides that what sort of things needed in a Christian's workflow can't be done by Logos?)

Or something like people buying a Chromebook and install Logos desktop on it (ChromeOS can install Linux softwares.)

The point is a Logos for Linux give people a choice to not choose base on the OS (using macOS or Windows has its associated cost on top of what one is paying for Logos.) For some Logos for Linux is a choice of Linux but for some others Logos for Linux can be a choice free from a choice of OS. (I mean they don't need to care about what underlying OS is running as along as it doesn't add cost and it runs Logos.)

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2019 10:37 AM

May be a great news to some people here: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/shipping-a-linux-kernel-with-windows/

(If anything at least it shows not even microsoft can ignore Linux.)

Posts 3
Zachary Rainey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 5:19 AM

Thanks for posting. I have been scrubbing through the posts to read about successful runs of Logos on Linux that can be repeated by a novice like myself. The VM certainly stirs up a lot of interest for me.

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 2:15 PM

The short summary is that there’s currently no way to run Logos desktop on Linux (other than VM because it is what it's designed for.)

With VM, you need to have a Windows license. Also, you may need a license for the software as well. VirtualBox is free but performance is not good. Best currently is VMWare which supports graphical acceleration on Linux host Windows guest. Since Logos is a demanding program including graphical performance I think VMWare should be the better choice.

The extra license cost Is one of the reason of the requests here, others including VM penalty and also not everyone want to have a guest OS running.

To reduces license cost, you could try to find if you have any old Windows 7/8 license lying around. It is still possible to upgrade from those to 10 for free. Also, if you're from academics, check if your institute offers VMWare a workstation. VMWare Player is free to use but I'm not sure if it supports hardware acceleration so you may check that first.

Posts 63
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 4:29 PM

I agree with you that Virtualbox is slow, but the best answer is not VMware.  I am using KVM on Linux to run copy of windows in which I run Logos.  If you have trouble setting up KVM, just install Gnome Boxes and use that.  Good Gnome Boxes uses KVM behind the scenes.  I prefer using straight KVM because it has more options, but Gnome Boxes should work fine as well.

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2019 4:49 PM

Got a tiny bit further than before with 8.7... still resources don't download but many features do seem to work. Am working on ideas to get resources to download. I've found about 25 ways that don't work so far;)

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2019 4:57 PM

n.b. those with linux knowledge will recognise that the ram usage and vm icon indicate I am running a virtual machine but that is not what you are looking at. This is Logos running native via wine on kubuntu using Rik's instructions but with the newer software.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 16
Perry Webb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 7:04 AM

Compared to using a virtual machine in Linux.  It would probably work better with less expensive hardware to remote desktop from Linux to a Windows 10 computer running Logos.  It takes the same software for a VM and a VM splits up your computer hardware on a single computer.  

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 11:27 AM

Actually a VM doesn't 'split' but intelligently shares for the most part. It does have a separate RAM allocation so if you have less than 8gb it might not be a great plan. With 16gb I have no probs using the virtual machine but I am wanting to get the wine option stable.

Posts 4
Vaughn R. Hamilton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 11:32 AM

Wonderful progress!  Thank you for posting this and for continuing to experiment!

Posts 63
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 2:30 PM

Congratulations! Very good work! I am encouraged. Please keep working on this. Question. So the extra RAM usage. . . Is it from Logos running under wine, or are you saying that you have a different VM running in the background?

Posts 59
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 12:36 AM

Where do we find Rik's instructions? It would be wonderful to download books. Will it accept your email and tell you what books you own?

Posts 63
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 5:02 AM

Right.  I use KVM to run a version of Windows that I run Logos in, and I'm doing it on a machine with 16g of ram.  Ideally, using WINE would be much better.  I'd love to be able to run Logos on a lighter weight laptop.

Regarding the downloading books problem, I'm assuming it's some kind of Windows library that Logos is trying to rely on which is missing under WINE, but without proper error messages that would be hard to find.  Are you seeing anything interesting by running "wine /path/to/Logos.exe &> wine.log"?

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 6:09 AM

Actually I think the issue is with a core wine function that can't be resolved by swapping in a native dll. I've tried almost all the dependencies now. It might be a case of waiting for an update to wine. The bad news is that the latest dev version 4.14 breaks things badly so its time to be quite active with bug reports etc. Once past this hurdle we may yet find other huge problems... but there are some good indications that the database functions are working so maybe not.

Posts 790
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 6:46 AM

David J. Ring, Jr.:

Where do we find Rik's instructions? It would be wonderful to download books. Will it accept your email and tell you what books you own?

Go to this page for the instructions: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/121.aspx?PageIndex=25

Posts 63
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 12:46 PM

Ok.  I really need to start playing around with this myself and start looking into writing bug reports.  I would encourage others to think about doing this too.  Only if enough of us combine together and work on this is there likely to be any light at the end of the tunnel.  Between MS opensoursing various frameworks and the tons and tons of work going into WINE these days (largely because of Steam's Proton project), I'm hopeful that further progress can be made.

Regarding VM's I think I'm actually going to set up a Linux guest in which I tinker around with stuff and take snapshots so I can revert if I screw things up too badly.

Posts 2
Tim Hawes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2019 5:48 PM

Not the same as running Logos 8 natively on Linux, but you can make https://app.logos.com into a desktop app (sorta, you'll still need to be connected to the internet to use it, just like you would the website).

Install nodejs. On Ubuntu, you can just run

sudo apt install nodejs

Then install nativefier

npm install -g nativefier

Then you can create a program with

nativefier --name "Logos" --single-instance "https://app.logos.com"

It will create a directory called logos-linux-x64 (assuming you are running 64 bit Linux) with a program called "logos" in it, and all the needed dependencies to run the app.

Optionally, if you want a fuller desktop experience, checkout my nativefier-webapps repo on github: https://github.com/timotheosh/nativefier-webapps. I have a desktop file and icon for the program you can use, and build scripts that can create similar applications for Gmail, Evernote, and several other web applications I use frequently.

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2019 10:51 PM

If one wants to do that, they can run Chrome from the command line to start a session in app mode. That would be lighter since the resources are shared with other running Chrome instances including the web pages you're browsing.

Posts 2
Tim Hawes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 16 2019 6:22 AM

Sure, if resources are a concern, and one already uses Chrome. Nativefier makes this a separate application to your desktop, that has its own menu entry, icon, and process. Sometimes, it makes sense to reason about a webapp separately from one's "browsing tasks". You can even build the app with "--tray start-in-tray" so it starts up hidden and available in one's system tray. Besides, the separate Electron app is still lighter than running Logos 8 on Wine.

Page 28 of 33 (646 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS