Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 52 of 59 (1164 items) « First ... < Previous 50 51 52 53 54 Next > ... Last »
This post has 1,163 Replies | 59 Followers

Posts 1069
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 11:17 AM

So, just noticed, over 1.5 million views on this thread. I wonder how many users that breaks down to With multiple visits.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1138
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 11:41 AM

That figure seems incredible to me... I wonder what the actual user base Logos is? And what is the user base of the forum? Is it being found by people who are searching for the tux mascot?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 9070
LogosEmployee

John Goodman:
Is it being found by people who are searching for the tux mascot?

I think there's something to that guess; this thread is the #3 result in Google for "linux logos":

Posts 2174
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 6:32 PM

David Wanat:
I wonder how many users that breaks down to With multiple visits.

I suppose many are wondering.  I follow the thread because I would love to see Logos on Linux.  My son is using Logos on Windows and got it working on Linux, but there are still issues to be worked out.

Posts 2
Alfonso Izaguirre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 10:49 AM

Aren't there any plans from FaithLife to compile Logos to a .deb package?

Posts 3
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 11:42 AM

No. Nor should there probably be at this point, because (sadly) there are not enough Linux users to make it worth their while. Also, while things are getting a LOT better regarding running Logos on Linux using WINE there are still issues to be worked out. Those matters are being worked on right now, and the future looks good. Were Logos to officially support Linux, the way for them to do that would be with the Appimage method which is currently the officially recommended way to install Logos on Linux.

The only thing which would probably make Logos reconsider supporting Linux is if they wanted to enable users to run Logos on Chromebooks. I suspect that there are many more Chromebook users than general Linux desktop users. The process being worked on now would work for Chromebooks. That's an option for Faithlife folks to consider.

Posts 7
Loye Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 6:08 PM

Logos is built on the .NET platform, which Microsoft contributed to open source a few years ago. The developers of .NET are making remarkable progress towards a completely interoperable platform. Version 5.0 of .NET (the release candidate version is already available) installs natively on Linux. I suspect that within a couple of years, there simply won't be anything for the Logos developers to do for Linux support. Linux will, once again, Just Work.

Posts 13
Rob Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 10:14 AM

I am trying to install Logos on my PixelBook in the Linux environment.  It looks like you got it working.  Would you mind pointing me to the instructions? 

Thank you!

Rob

Posts 897
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 12:44 PM

Rob, welcome to the forums.

Are you running the standard Debian container on your Pixelbook?

Posts 13
Rob Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 12:54 PM

Yes, but willing to do anything to try and get logos on there ;-)

Posts 897
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 1:03 PM

I'm actually in the process right now of using Daniel's appimage installation on my Pixelbook Go.

https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller

I had to install some dependencies -- zenity, x11-apps and a couple of others before the installer would run. I'm indexing now.

Posts 13
Rob Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 1:05 PM

Thank you so much.  I am heading to spend some time trying to get this on.  Can't wait!

Posts 13
Rob Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 2:47 PM

Everything went as documented.  When I start Logos I get the attached picture. It is the control panel.  I see Logos is installed.  It might be that an environment variable is not set.  If you have any ideas, shoot them my way.  Thanks so much everyone!

Rob

Posts 60
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 2:53 PM

Rob Perry:

Everything went as documented.  When I start Logos I get the attached picture. It is the control panel.  I see Logos is installed.  It might be that an environment variable is not set.  If you have any ideas, shoot them my way.  Thanks so much everyone!

You can remove the LogosBible_Linux_P folder in your $HOME, then:

Please try again using the fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh script, as there are still some bugs in both wine and winetricks that in some cases make this kind of bug appear.

Posts 13
Rob Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 9:05 AM

That did it!  Everything is installed and I can move about.  Indexing starts and causes a windows 'system error must close'     I believe I saw others mention this so I will go and research how people got through it.

Posts 60
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 9:48 AM

Rob Perry:

That did it!  Everything is installed and I can move about.  Indexing starts and causes a windows 'system error must close'     I believe I saw others mention this so I will go and research how people got through it.

You can try the index without running the LogosBible with:

$ ./Logos.sh indexing

And if you want to use the Frank Sauer workaround:
$ ./Logos.sh removeAllIndex
$ ./Logos.sh indexing

If you want one link to your LogosBible dir inside the wineBottle to make manual changes (like backup before update):
$ ./Logos.sh dirlink

If you want one shortcut LogosBible.desktop in your ${HOME}/.local/share/applications (many linux distribution use it to add it on the apps menu):
$ ./Logos.sh shortcut
Posts 143
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 10:30 AM

And once Logos finishes indexing, create a copies of the index folders--and update them from time to time!--to avoid having to wade through the (potentially hours of) indexing again.

Posts 693
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2020 11:49 AM

Has anyone else come across updates to libsdl2 that wants to remove Wine in order to update? Can't update or remove it to reinstall without removing Wine.

Posts 60
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2020 12:32 PM

Frank Sauer:

Has anyone else come across updates to libsdl2 that wants to remove Wine in order to update? Can't update or remove it to reinstall without removing Wine.

This is one package with Dependency Conflict.

Since you didn't posted the error message here, I'll just give one reference to a short Debian guide on how to resolve this type of issue:

http://books.msspace.net/mirrorbooks/linuxcookbook/0596006403/linuxckbk-CHP-3-SECT-13.html

Posts 693
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2020 5:19 PM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

Frank Sauer:

This is one package with Dependency Conflict.

Since you didn't posted the error message here, I'll just give one reference to a short Debian guide on how to resolve this type of issue:

http://books.msspace.net/mirrorbooks/linuxcookbook/0596006403/linuxckbk-CHP-3-SECT-13.html

There was no error message. I have the normal updates available notification. The two libsdl2 files that there are updates for notify me when I select them for update, that Wine will have to be removed to update the libsdl2 files.

Page 52 of 59 (1164 items) « First ... < Previous 50 51 52 53 54 Next > ... Last » | RSS