Posts 1145
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2021 3:27 PM

Scott Warner:

Frank Sauer:

Check winecfg. Default should be Win10 and LogosIndexer.exe should be Vista

How exactly do I check this?

If you are using the ferion scripts then go to your Logos dir and run:

./controlPanel.sh winetricks

If you aren't using the ferion script then I would recommend you do.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1
Ben Mordecai | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 3:16 PM

Not to derail this thread, but has Logos ever seriously considered migrating to an electron app?

They are already using a lot of rich web content and have to manage multiple platforms of both desktop and mobile. If it were designed for an electron app, a Linux port would be trivial.

Posts 4
Scott Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 23 2021 12:27 AM

I am using the ferion scripts.

I am not sure how to use winetricks to make the changes, though.  Would someone be willing to write that out or point me to where I can figure that out?

Thanks,
Scott

Posts 1145
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 23 2021 2:22 PM

Scott, Try this:

./Logos.sh winetricks

Select default prefix.

Change settings.

Windows version.

It's in there but I think you've probably got the right settings already if you ran the script. I'm thinking you have a dependency issue. For this reason I would follow the winehq guide to make sure you are running the latest version of wine with all dependencies installed. Then just move the appImage and the scripts will default to running off your system wine. You'll likely get an error message the first time you run it but press OK and it should run anyway.

It's easier to help you on telegram. Please join the channel and ask there if you need help.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 12
Elliot Swaim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2021 6:44 PM

I tried installing Logos on Manjaro using the Ferrion11 Installer.  At first, there were two packages that I needed to install (xorg-xwd and cabextract).  After that, the installation seemed to go just fine until at the very end, I got an error message saying,

"The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.2 is not installed on this computer.  Please run LogosSetup.exe to install the .NET Framework."

I had similar luck with Pop! OS (I'll admit I've been doing a little distro hopping).  How can I fix this error?

Posts 64
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2021 10:57 AM

Elliot Swaim:

I tried installing Logos on Manjaro using the Ferrion11 Installer.  At first, there were two packages that I needed to install (xorg-xwd and cabextract).  After that, the installation seemed to go just fine until at the very end, I got an error message saying,

"The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.2 is not installed on this computer.  Please run LogosSetup.exe to install the .NET Framework."

I had similar luck with Pop! OS (I'll admit I've been doing a little distro hopping).  How can I fix this error?

Please re-try using the script fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh.

Posts 1
Arun de Souza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 9:07 PM

I am a newbie to both Logos and Ubuntu. Thanks Daniel Ribeiro da Silva, John Goodman, Sauer, and the makers of the ferrion script. Managed to install my Logos 9 without a hitch. Used the fast_install version of the script.

My question to John Goodman- which folders/files should one back up? You have said user files, but the exact folders/files are not clear to me. Could you please spell them out in detail. Thanks.

Posts 1145
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2021 12:43 PM

Users, Documents and Data from within the Logos program dir.

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 7:41 AM

John Goodman:

Users, Documents and Data from within the Logos program dir.

I've been using the "Google Doc" method for quite a while. However, it seems stalled at Logos v. 8... The documentation has instructions for installing v. 9, but they're all crossed out--including For Logos 9 and 64bit systems the recommended method is to use the ferion11 scripts. So I ask: Is ferion11 the only way to install Logos 9? And if I'm already running Logos 8 using the "Google Doc" setup, do I have to remove it first?

Much advice appreciated!

Posts 1145
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 7:54 AM

I've updated it as best I can... I'm not up to date with the latest work from Rik on wasta for Logos 9.

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 9:27 AM

As I said, I have Logos 8 up and running -- with 22 GB of files in Data, Documents, and Users that I'd rather not have to download again. I see this on the ferion11 page: "DOWNLOADED_RESOURCES: change the directory where the script will search for files by name before attempting to download from the internet (default is ${PWD})," but I don't know where I would change the directory variable... After watching the "short video" twice, I don't see that step. Do I have to download and modify one of the "source code" files? I use Linux, but I'm not a programmer... :-\ Again, much advice appreciated!

Posts 64
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 12:39 PM

Paul Unger:

As I said, I have Logos 8 up and running -- with 22 GB of files in Data, Documents, and Users that I'd rather not have to download again. I see this on the ferion11 page: "DOWNLOADED_RESOURCES: change the directory where the script will search for files by name before attempting to download from the internet (default is ${PWD})," but I don't know where I would change the directory variable... After watching the "short video" twice, I don't see that step. Do I have to download and modify one of the "source code" files? I use Linux, but I'm not a programmer... :-\ Again, much advice appreciated!

${PWD} is the current directory where you run the script, so if you run the script "fast_install_appimagewine_and_logos.sh" and the downloaded "Logos-x64.msi" is in the same directory that you are current running the script, then the script will use the local "Logos-x64.msi" instead of download, and the same for the others files too. But what you are trying to do by copying the Data, Documents, and Users is save the old downloaded LogosBible books to use on the new version.

Well, anyway, I recommend that you keep the working version as a working backup, to make sure the new version is working correctly for you, before lose the old working one (in which case, just rename/move the old "LogosBible_Linux_P" folder).

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 1:21 PM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

${PWD} is the current directory where you run the script, so if you run the script "fast_install_appimagewine_and_logos.sh" and the downloaded "Logos-x64.msi" is in the same directory that you are current running the script, then the script will use the local "Logos-x64.msi" instead of download, and the same for the others files too. But what you are trying to do by copying the Data, Documents, and Users is save the old downloaded LogosBible books to use on the new version.

Well, anyway, I recommend that you keep the working version as a working backup, to make sure the new version is working correctly for you, before lose the old working one (in which case, just rename/move the old "LogosBible_Linux_P" folder).

Thanks for the reply, Daniel Ribeiro da Silva. Sorry to say, though, that I'm still confused... Do I have to download "Logos-x64.msi" as well as "fast_install_appimagewine_and_logos.sh" and have them in the same folder before I start? In the instructions (https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller), step 15 shows "Logos-x64.msi" downloading to /tmp. Should I make a /tmp folder somewhere, and copy Logos "Data, Documents, and User" folders there as well? I don't see anywhere on the instructions page where Logos downloads resources / documents -- or better, goes to an existing folder to find and install them. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm still missing it...

Posts 64
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 2:39 PM

Paul Unger:

Thanks for the reply, Daniel Ribeiro da Silva. Sorry to say, though, that I'm still confused... Do I have to download "Logos-x64.msi" as well as "fast_install_appimagewine_and_logos.sh" and have them in the same folder before I start? In the instructions (https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller), step 15 shows "Logos-x64.msi" downloading to /tmp. Should I make a /tmp folder somewhere, and copy Logos "Data, Documents, and User" folders there as well? I don't see anywhere on the instructions page where Logos downloads resources / documents -- or better, goes to an existing folder to find and install them. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm still missing it...

You need only the last fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh (in https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/releases), and it will download the files for you. The options we're talking about is about trying to save time in the installation process.

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 2:46 PM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

You need only the last fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh (in https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/releases), and it will download the files for you. The options we're talking about is about trying to save time in the installation process.

Sorry, I thought there was a way to avoid having to download the files and save bandwidth / download space in the installation process. I guess I misunderstood...

Posts 64
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2021 1:24 PM

Paul Unger:

Sorry, I thought there was a way to avoid having to download the files and save bandwidth / download space in the installation process. I guess I misunderstood...

One way to save time is to save bandwidth. And in this case, you have to separate the installation into at least two steps: 1- LogosBible installation, 2- LogosBible books and libraries installation.

1- For installing LogosBible using fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh, you can keep in the same directory (${PWD}) the file https://github.com/ferion11/wine64_bottle_dotnet/releases/download/v5.11/wine64_bottle.tar.gz, as the script will use it, instead of download every time you install using a newer version of the script. With this you save some bandwidth in the installation.

2- After completing the installation you can use the files (books) from the old installation (so remember to backup) to save more bandwidth. The directories to be copied are (the default):

* remember that you can move and/or rename (or backup) the LogosBible64_Linux_P directory.

• LogosBible64_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Data
  • LogosBible64_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Documents
  • LogosBible64_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Users

So, theoretically, if before the first run, you copy the files from these directories (from the old and functional to the new installation), LogosBible will not download them again, saving bandwidth. But again, remember to make sure the new version is working before deleting the old one (which will serve as a working backup too).

Posts 1
Arun De Souza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 6:08 AM

Thanks John Goodman and Daniel da Silva for your graciousness in responding. I shall keep a backup ready for a rainy day.

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 7:50 AM

Thanks for explaining step 2, Daniel. I don't remember seeing it described anywhere else. Could I make the suggestion that someone add this to step 23 "You now have a LogosBible_Linux_P folder in your User Home" at https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller? Something like:

• Logos resources from a previous install can be copied to the corresponding folders in:

LogosBible64_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Data
LogosBible64_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Documents
LogosBible64_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Users

Keeping a backup of your Logos resources is highly recommended!

Looking forward to giving this a try today.Yes

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 9:35 AM

Looks like it failed... :-(

It seemed to run OK until it downloaded Logos-x64.msi. The Logos 'splash screen' appeared, I clicked 'Next', and nothing...

An instance of "wine64" (msiexec /i /tmp/tmp.../Logos-x64.msi) is visible in System Monitor, but it appears to be stalled. I have a number of messages like this showing up in my terminal:

wine client error:0: version mismatch 689/595.

Your wine binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

I use wine for other things, and there are two instances of "winedevice.exe" and one "wineserver" visible in System Monitor. Do I have to end those processes before I try again?

Appreciate any advice!

Posts 152
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 10:12 AM

OK, I'm trying again (after renaming the failed "LogosBible_Linux_P" folder). Disappointed to see that it's downloading everything again... Which folder are "wine-staging-linux-amd64-fulldeps-v6.5 etc" and "wine64_bottle.tar.gz" supposed to be stored in so that they can be found by the script? I didn't understand the discussion of {PWD} that was offered earlier, but they look to be going into a /tmp/tmp.[random string] folder. Do I need to go to the /tmp folder and copy the downloaded files somewhere else for safe keeping and to avoid lengthy downloads in the future?

[...later...] Looks like it failed again. :-( This time I got to the "Choose Setup Type" window. I clicked "Typical" and, nothing... The last line in terminal is:

0110:fixme:msi:event_spawn_wait_dialog doing nothing

<sigh>

Page 59 of 60 (1184 items) « First ... < Previous 56 57 58 59 60 Next > | RSS