Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 68 of 72 (1428 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last »
This post has 1,427 Replies | 66 Followers

Posts 4
Arun De Souza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 2:51 AM

Thanks John.

Posts 110
Stephen Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 1:19 PM

With respect, it seems to me that on this forum there is plenty of buzz about Logos for Linux. How many of your Logos users don't know this, and don't even know that Linux exists? And what about being a trailblazer? Do you have to wait for someone else before you try to make Logos available for Linux? I get that you are about the bottom line, but you know who controls Windows. You know who controls Mac. Don't you think that one day they will shut everything Christian down? And what will Christians do? Lose everything THEY invested into Logos, while you only concern yourself with YOUR investment. Perhaps you should think of the customers who made you wealthy, who want to break from these large multinational corporations. Is that even important to you?
If you trailblazed Logos for Linus, then maybe many more Christians would break from big tech permanently, with Logos leading the charge. 

I pray wisdom, and not the bottom line drives your decision making.

Posts 110
Stephen Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 1:19 PM

With respect, it seems to me that on this forum there is plenty of buzz about Logos for Linux. How many of your Logos users don't know this, and don't even know that Linux exists? And what about being a trailblazer? Do you have to wait for someone else before you try to make Logos available for Linux? I get that you are about the bottom line, but you know who controls Windows. You know who controls Mac. Don't you think that one day they will shut everything Christian down? And what will Christians do? Lose everything THEY invested into Logos, while you only concern yourself with YOUR investment. Perhaps you should think of the customers who made you wealthy, who want to break from these large multinational corporations. Is that even important to you?
If you trailblazed Logos for Linus, then maybe many more Christians would break from big tech permanently, with Logos leading the charge. 

Posts 36097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 3:13 PM

As a retiree from IT, I don't want FL wasting it's time porting to Linux or building interfaces to external products. Linux has it's place but it is not as a competitor in the general user market. Interfaces have their place but they come with a high maintenance cost unless done solely via standardized formatting. As FL does not borrow money, I want them to concentrate their energies on meeting the needs of their core market -- and spending any surplus on supporting the churches in diaspora after being exiled from their Middle Eastern homes. I post this only to show that there are multiple opinions that FL has to take into consideration.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 3:24 PM

As a pastor of a cash strapped church, and as someone who invests in this tool. I think it is a great idea to get logos to work on linux and then start a ministry of refurbishing older computers installing this on them to send to impoverished areas with our country and around the world. But that is just me. I understand the costs and all and that is why i still have one windows computer. I just think it would be nice to be able to provide lower income ministries access to great tools without having to pay as much for it. 

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 3:24 PM

As a pastor of a cash strapped church, and as someone who invests in this tool. I think it is a great idea to get logos to work on linux and then start a ministry of refurbishing older computers installing this on them to send to impoverished areas with our country and around the world. But that is just me. I understand the costs and all and that is why i still have one windows computer. I just think it would be nice to be able to provide lower income ministries access to great tools without having to pay as much for it. 

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 3:25 PM

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 21

Posts 1272
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 3:39 PM

After this long, I'm not so concerned about Faithlife targeting Linux... They have been supportive of the effort e.g. supplying information, allowing binary distribution, commenting on wine bugs etc. We already have the windows version running very smoothly on Linux. I use it nearly every day. Video, audio and speech will follow soon but since they work in the webapp it is no real problem. Folks must not forget that the webapp is a response to the need to support more niche platforms, Linux and ChromeOS. In short, Faithlife has not ignored Linux users.

Looking forward, at some point (v10?) Logos will be built on .NET 6 and it will be easier both for wine but also for a native port. I would hope that because of .NET 6 FL might reconsider the cost / benefit of a fully native build again as it might not be nearly as difficult as it has been up to now.

We are already testing Box64, which will most likely see near native speeds for ARM (currently there are missing instructions and it crashes). This is similar to how Rosetta2 works on m1 macs. It somewhat cleverly swaps out libraries for native ones etc. So even Logos for raspberry pi is looking likely.

Thinking about Stephen's point about the safety of our investments in Logos, this Linux work is already really important to believers in certain regions and I think concern over how secure Logos is for the future is a relevant topic. I know that Bob has written about this in the past so I'm grateful it is considered. I personally miss the 'send to kindle' feature which felt like a helpful backup, a safety net. I bought an onyx boox instead of my kindle which at least gives me the eInk reading experience but the books are still only in Logos and I'm relying on Logos to work.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2022 10:28 AM

Stephen Jones:
Do you have to wait for someone else before you try to make Logos available for Linux?

It essentially is.

Stephen Jones:

Wise owners of companies pay close attention to the bottom line. Otherwise, those companies cease to exist.

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Posts 60
Meeshell Biblestudy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 6:56 AM

MJ. Smith:

As a retiree from IT, I don't want FL wasting it's time porting to Linux or building interfaces to external products. Linux has it's place but it is not as a competitor in the general user market. Interfaces have their place but they come with a high maintenance cost unless done solely via standardized formatting. As FL does not borrow money, I want them to concentrate their energies on meeting the needs of their core market -- and spending any surplus on supporting the churches in diaspora after being exiled from their Middle Eastern homes. I post this only to show that there are multiple opinions that FL has to take into consideration.

What is FL? Oh FAith life LOL  I have downloaded Zorin OS 16 since it is super easy to parallel install next to windows.  I'm hoping we don't have a crash of all things microsoft, but if we do, I'd like to still be able to use my full version of Logos.  

I don't understand the WINE thing and how to program it?  I think most people are like me, and want a "plug and play" version.  

Thanks for all the input into this thread!  I saw where someone said to install a windows emulator, but that sounds like it defeats the purpose here.  There's got to be someone that can have a linux version, ready to go in case windows (owned by the most evil man on the planet) goes bye bye.  Just saying, we have a lot of new light on this old topic.

Jesus was born of a VIRGIN, as it is written in the LXX, testified in the NT Matthew 1:23

Isaiah 7:14 (Brenton LXX En)

Wink

Posts 6
Michael Lindner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 7:21 AM

I am loath to support companies like MS that publicly and adamantly attack Christian morality and life. Yes, it's almost impossible not to these days, but it can't happen without alternatives.

FL, of course, is a business and must support its users and make money for its employees, but they have been great in helping people get going with WINE and I, for one, would welcome a Linux native version, if only to have one less reason to need Apple or MS products.

Page 68 of 72 (1428 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS