Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 17 of 28 (560 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next > ... Last »
This post has 559 Replies | 34 Followers

Posts 54
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 13 2013 6:12 AM

abondservant:

I hear multi-threaded programing is complicated (and thus expensive)... But pandora's box is open, multi-core isn't going away.

I wrote my own backup program (because I wanted something specific), so I wrote a separate thread to do the backup work so that the GUI would stay responsive. I generate numerous log messages, so i have a separate thread to process a log queue.

Pretty much any GUI is already multi-threaded, but I am sure that is not what you mean. This is usually reserved for long running tasks or processing something in the background that should not detract from the GUI performance. What did you want from the other thread? I expect (but am only guessing) that Logos probably already kicks off separate threads to do things such as check for updated books.

If you find Logos to be slow when you run a particular task, you should certainly formulate that as an enhancement request. Big Smile

Posts 3
Matthew Wardrop | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2013 2:43 PM

Yeah... having one architecture for all operating systems (QML, for example); just makes a lot of sense. It's being open and free helps as well. Of course, it makes sense if they were going to rewrite everything; perhaps not if they are happy with what they already have. Still; in my experience, once code is written in one language; most of the logic can be quickly ported to another... then you just have to deal with a million little bugs ;).

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2013 9:03 PM

Matthew Wardrop:
Still; in my experience, once code is written in one language; most of the logic can be quickly ported to another... then you just have to deal with a million little bugs ;).

Might be easier said than done the first programers they hired were 3 years late and never did get anything much more than a bare reader done. Logos 4 took a long time to squish all the bugs and never did reach feature parity with the PC side (it may have by them removing functionality from the PC side, seems to me i remember them saying something about one or more features being rewritten but since 5 came along I have no longer used 4 so  perhaps handouts and such made it to mac finally). Theoretically it should be possible to do it but i think Logos would need to see Linux gaining a larger share first a good compromise might be to run a virtual box and install windows 7, the equivalent was what i had to do to run Logos on my mac for many years… although Virtual PC and windows xp were painfully slow… Ironically now it is still running on that old machine to have WordSearch 10 running which is actually quite speedy on my old G5….

-Dan 

Posts 3
Matthew Wardrop | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 4:13 PM

Yeah... you're probably right :). Perhaps the future will see the Logos developers move to a more cross-platform framework; especially if WPF is being EOL'd. Until then... I'll just keep Windows around somehow :).

-M

Posts 1
Kermit Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:27 PM

I'd be very curious as to where that 1.26% number comes from... particularly if you include countries outside of the U.S.  Consider that if Logos would move to ANY opensource basis, it would provide compatibility with 100% of operating systems.

If churches simple moved to Linux, LibreOffice, Lyricue, CiviCRM, etc... think of the countless dollars (we're literally talking combined millions) the Kingdom of God would save.  That money could be spent developing new features that would then be made available to all other churches.

Posts 51
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 8:41 PM

Kermit,

What you say is true, but I like Linux because it is so stable.  It never crashes on me.  I am not against paying for Logos, I have a copy of Logos 5, but I rarely use it because I rarely use Windows.  Even when I use Logos 5 for Windows, I don't like it much because I don't like Windows anymore, and I haven't gone to Mac because with Linux you can find a program to do whatever you want, tracing drawings, publishing, word processing.

I do wish someone would make a program like WordPerfect for DOS - like WordPerfect 6.0 or 5.1 because it just gives you a eblank screen - perfect for writers - the editors do the formatting anyway and they have to remove all the formatting from Word files before they use them unless you save in RTF which I do.

If Logos could make a version for Linux that was as simple as Logos 2.0 (remember under Windows 3?) it would be fine with me, I just need the library to hyperlink to other books I own, arrange little windows so I can do word studies, look up Greek, Hebrew or search a Bible Dictionary for explanations of English words.r

I don't want much, as good as Logos 2.0 for Windows but able to read the newest books I have bought.

I am now buying books for my Kindle instead of Logos books.

In fact the only program I have bought in the past ten years is Logos 5.

I have everything else I need.  There is Bible Time and Bible Analyzer one of the two runs under KDE which I don't like because GNOME is faster.

But as they say "Nothing beats Logos".  Search a few times there are some outstanding resources out there.

I still would like to read my books in a program inside Linux, I use the web page which runs in a browser, but that isn't the speed I like.

Best wishes to all,

David

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:49 PM

Kermit Jones:

I'd be very curious as to where that 1.26% number comes from... particularly if you include countries outside of the U.S.  Consider that if Logos would move to ANY opensource basis, it would provide compatibility with 100% of operating systems.

Welcome Big Smile

Curious about open source example(s) that are compatible with all operating systems.

Logos uses SQLite => https://www.sqlite.org/ that is widely deployed => https://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html along with compilation hints => https://www.sqlite.org/howtocompile.html since C compilers for different operating systems have a variety of complex quirks.

Noticed netmartketshare.com shows 1.26 % Desktop operating share for Linux in May 2013:

Netmarket share FAQ includes Global weighting => http://netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 22 2013 1:03 AM

I wonder if the logos system for community pricing could be used to solve this problem. If logos put up a page where people could bid for a linux version of the software I think we would quickly see what demand there is?

It is already possible for users to request code weavers to make it work so that could be a way forward too.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 22 2013 1:30 AM

Is there another solution? I found myself wondering what faithlife or biblia is missing that I really need from logos. In one way a massive amount but for most of the time it is just

the info panel

notes

status bar parsing info

Interlinear display

what do people need most? Can we persuade logos to give us what we need online?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1
Kyle Sorkness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 22 2013 1:09 PM

John Goodman:
I wonder if the logos system for community pricing could be used to solve this problem. If logos put up a page where people could bid for a linux version of the software I think we would quickly see what demand there is?

I think this is a great idea. I'd pre-order a Linux-compatible version of Logos using the pre-publication system. What would there be to lose in setting this up to, as you say, gauge actual demand?

Posts 81
Joseph | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 7:45 PM

It is one thing to pledge money.  It's another thing to actually invest and give.  A more realistic approach might be to have a simple book viewer without all the Bible study and doing simple concordance searches. Once again there is always biblia.com.  Linux desktop users will simply never get there in terms of market worth. Also you can run an android emulator and install the app right? 

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 11:32 PM

Bob Pritchett:
we're working on a completely new platform for the next release

Way to drop that casually! Or maybe this is common knowledge, but it's news to me! Good news, to be sure.

Posts 51
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 11:46 PM
Mitchell, Where did that come from? David
Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:23 AM

:-( I had a short moment of - "Wow! They're going to use a modern, cross-platform toolkit! I wouldn't have expected it after all the money they've thrown at WPF.".

And then I did a quick google search for the quote. It looks like it's from the first page of this thread ( http://community.logos.com/forums/t/121.aspx ) - a post made back in 2009, prior to the release of Logos4. The "new platform" there might refer to OSX, but I suspect he's talking about WPF.

Ah well, the dream was nice while it lasted! :-)

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:08 AM

Mitchell:

Bob Pritchett:

Way to drop that casually! Or maybe this is common knowledge, but it's news to me! Good news, to be sure.

FYI...You are quoting a very old statement from Bob.  What Bob was referring to in his post was L4.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 9:11 AM

tom:

Mitchell:

Bob Pritchett:

FYI...You are quoting a very old statement from Bob.  What Bob was referring to in his post was L4.

Oh dear... I have never claimed to be a smart man.

Shame on me.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 2:51 PM

Mitchell:

tom:

Mitchell:

Bob Pritchett:

Oh dear... I have never claimed to be a smart man.

Shame on me.

I would not say that.  I know that I have assumed that I am reading a current post when it is actually several years old.

Posts 12
Perry Webb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 2:56 PM
Where multi-cores are very important are with tablets. Android and other Tablet OSs are a much larger and growing market than the PC. The PC market is actually declining. Tablets keep getting better, but to use their capability, you need to use all the cores. Android runs on a Linux kernel. If the code is flexible enough, it might be adapted to Linux Gnome and KDE. There's also discussion that Android isn't adequate for the larger tablets, so other Linux GUIs have some potential there.
Posts 1
MIKE FENTON | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 7:44 AM

Why doesn't Logos pay Crossover to make a custom wine app for Logos. That couldn't cost too much and then Logos would have the opportunity to market to any Linux users. Logos Mac version appears to be something running in WINE anyway so why not Linux?

Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 9:25 AM

I have hopes for this...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/09/install-android-apps-ubuntu-archon

Haven't got time to try it at the moment but it may be that the android version of Logos arrives on linux soon!

Page 17 of 28 (560 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next > ... Last » | RSS