Bad Links in Hexham Colossians Guide

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 26 2015 6:31 PM

I sent this in as a typo but considering its nature, thought I would put it here as well. Also, I may be wrong about the resource.

In this resource - Lexham Bible Guide: Colossians - all of the links that seem to go to this resource - Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words - go to a blank panel that says I do not have a license to the linked resource. The resource id is LLS:VINES and the title next to the link in the Guide says "Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words" but there is no resource by that exact name. Maybe it is no longer being sold.

Just thought if it was wrong throughout the entire resource then maybe it might be fixed.

Posts 1487
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 6:49 PM

I checked and I have the same error. I think it is a bad link and a typo in the name. I say this because "Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words" is what Logos has for sell (published by Thomas Nelson in 1996).

There is a Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (also published by Thomas Nelson, but a shorter work) that is not available on Logos, even though it was published in 2003. 

Strange. We'll see what the Faithlife folks say. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 30661
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 7:08 PM

Michael McLane:
Maybe it is no longer being sold.

That is a distinct possibility. If you provide a logosres link, other users can check too. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1487
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 7:20 PM

alabama24:

Michael McLane:
Maybe it is no longer being sold.

That is a distinct possibility. 

Seems strange that the 1996 version would still be available and not the 2003 version, though. Either way, Logos should come up with a way to resolve these multi-resource issues, like setting links to point to any applicable version that might work. This has been a real problem on some fo the Mobile Ed courses. 

alabama24:

If you provide a logosres link, other users can check too. 

Here's a link to the resource. Scroll to the bottom of the section under "Key Word Studies." logosres:lbg72col;ref=Bible.Col3.1-17;off=35241

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 2:38 AM

Myke Harbuck:
I think it is a bad link and a typo in the name. I say this because "Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words" is what Logos has for sell (published by Thomas Nelson in 1996).

EDIT: it is also the one referred to in the bibliography at the end of the book. So the 16 links to Vines should refer to it correctly. /EDIT  

It's resource ID is LLS:46.10.8 , the filename TN_VINES, just for completeness sake. This is the product the logos.com website links to when stating - correctly - that Vines was the author of the "Expository Dictionary of New Testament words" (omitting the 'Complete' and the OT portion), such as in a PrePub here: https://www.logos.com/product/52609/we-vine-collection 

Wishful thinking: Maybe Logos is internally splitting up the four resource files that make https://www.logos.com/product/54070/vine-collection into the nine or so books it really are (separating Vine's NT from Unger's OT dictionary, and the commentaries in the one-vol collection from the monographic works, thus making them really useable in the Logos environment), and there will be a LLS:VINES resource in 2016?

Reality Check: There seems to be a (not named 'Complete') edition of Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words published by Revell in 1981. Both works are referenced - not in parallel, like other dictionaries, but alternatively -  in the LBG on Philippians:

This older one is linked to with LLS:VINES and it seems Logos does no longer sell that book and has not even set up the resource page, which means this is so for quite some time. Revell is now a Baker Publishing brand not into deeper exegetical stuff, but still sold at Logos. I don't expect the explanations in those two works to be much different - if at all. So LBGs should list the one that is available, or both, if there are users owning just the old one. Looks a bit like sloppy editing to me.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 1:16 PM

Myke Harbuck:
Strange. We'll see what the Faithlife folks say

Thanks for reporting this issue. I will create a case to have this fixed. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS