Personnel changes at Faithlife

Page 11 of 12 (238 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next >
This post has 237 Replies | 19 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 2:30 PM

I wish the data backup posts had their own thread rather than being buried in this one.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6473
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 3:46 PM

Mark just wondering if you have had the same experience.

I was backing up using Crashplan to the cloud services and the max speed that I got over any considerable time was 4Mbps. 

I was using a fibre line with speed in excess of 50Mbps. 

Crashplan support says that they do not throttle bandwidth. I switched to backing up via Microsoft's OneDrive and it was uploading 40 MB video files in a minute or so. Thus I have concluded that it has to be crashplan servers and/or bandwidth that was not up to the task. This was yesterday.

Have you or anyone else had problems with slow upload?

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 7909
LogosEmployee

John Duffy:
how does Crashplan cope with backing up a large (several GB) Logos index.idx file to cloud backup

I'd recommend excluding the "BibleIndex" and "LibraryIndex" folders from cloud backup. The data in them can be completely rebuilt from your resources locally, and on most computers (with common Internet connection speeds), it's going to be quicker to rebuild the index locally than to download it from the Internet. Backing it up is probably a waste of bandwidth IMHO.

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 7:12 PM

Super.Tramp:
I wish the data backup posts had their own thread rather than being buried in this one.

You are so right:

1. To keep the purity of the thread.
  2. Data backup information is so interesting, really!
  3. Who has the skills to start a new thread and transfer all that have been said about data backups? If you have the skills, Please, please, do it! Let you data backup knowledge so shine before Logos users that they may see your great knowledge, thank you and Faithlife too.
Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 7:45 PM

The intent of my suggestion was NOT to invade anyone’s privacy. It was to express compassion (“to suffer with”) for the laid-off workers. I know they are not the first people to be laid-off nor will they be the last for Faithlife or any other company.

Can’t we put our collective heads together and, at least, make some practical suggestions to help those who helped us to receive (books, data sets, sales, etc.) what we have and are enjoying? Nor I am I demanding Faithlife to go beyond its moral responsibility to his former employees. A little going beyond the call of duty, could make a world of difference in the lives of many people (especially children and single mothers). With all things considered, you can’t legislate compassion.

If those laid-off workers were given a “severance package” the size of a Wall Street Banker, I would not be so much concern. If it’s true, many of them are not engineers. There are much pain and uncertainty in many of those families.

I hope your American taxes are paid (Federal, state, and city). For some of the laid-off workers finding another job will be short, long, and for some, never. If you think I am just being another of your American “bleeding heart liberals”, take heed. Prepare to see your tax dollars at work in the form of welfare, food stamps and Affordable Health Care users for ex-Faithlife workers. Please allow them to receive help with dignity and respect. Avoid labeling them as “freeloaders”, “takers”, “lazy”, or “people who don’t want to work.”

Today, it’s Faithlife and the 60+ laid-off workers and tomorrow, it could be your company and you. And for those you who are secure in retirement, bad things could happen to good people. Remember, "Bernie" Madoff, an American fraudster and a former stockbroker, investment advisor, and financier? Oh, don’t forget, some of your retirement funds are invested on Wall Street. Even if you keep your money under your mattress, beware of fire and thieves. We’re our brother’s keepers. Any of us could fall on financial hard times or be where those laid-off Faithlife workers are. Let’s pray, be compassionate, and do what we can to help or influence those who can.

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 8:20 PM

Charles, while I appreciate your intentions, the truth of the matter is we do not know enough to know what type of help they might need. For example,

• do they wish to stay in Bellingham or do they wish to relocate? I know a few employees who, if they left Logos, have definite locations where they would wish to work ... and its not Bellingham.
  • what are their skills in relationship to the job market in the area? i.e. are they looking at a quick employment or a long search with possible retrainiing?
  • are there other family members whose employment influences what positions they can take?
  • they should be eligible for unemployment (insurance program not a "handout") and they should be able to continue medical insurance

With the economy here, I don't assume they are in desperate circumstances - uncomfortable, unexpected, stressful yes. But I think that prayers and a willing to provide references or suggested openings should they reach out to us is about all we can do.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 180
Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 8:58 PM

Lynden,

Crashplan definitely throttles due to duplication detection.  This page explains how to disable throttling by editing an XML file (if you're comfortable with that).

http://networkrockstar.ca/2013/09/speeding-up-crashplan-backups/

Linden

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2016 9:40 PM

Super.Tramp:

Usual forum etiquette in this regard seems to have been abandoned.

New Thread Started - Logos Data Backup - Thanks Lynden Williams.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 131
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 8:02 AM

Thanks Bob for your post! I'm not a forum frequenter so much, but stumbling past this thread and reading what you said made me appreciate who's behind Logos.

Posts 320
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 8:12 AM

I am somewhat curious as to why this particular thread has such staying power.  People get laid off all the time in businesses across America.  People face tragedy and difficulties because of such layoffs.  FL is just another business that has laid people off due to whatever circumstances being put out by the management team on these forums.  A sad situation but one that thousands of people across America has faced for decades even companies  like FL that caters to a small niche market in eBook publishing. 

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 8:27 AM

I suspect if it had just been folks who work behind the scenes it wouldn't have been so jarring, but because it was people we interact with on a (sometimes daily) basis that multiplied the impact to the community.

Instead of someone we don't know, and haven't interacted with going silently into the night, multiple people we do know and communicate with regularly left all at once. I went from knowing a couple in the sales teams of both logos and verbum, to knowing no one. That sort of changes the public face of the company - at least the part we users would interact with.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 9:06 AM

Rene Atchley:

I am somewhat curious as to why this particular thread has such staying power.  

The magnitude (15% of employees)  is quite jarring, particularly for those of us who have invested a significant sum of money in Faithlife's products. In addition to the layoff of customer-facing sales representatives, Faithlife also significantly reduced the Verbum division before Christmas.

It is not surprising that there would be a lot of concern among its most loyal and engaged customers.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 1324
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 9:13 AM

And companies don't typically lay off 15% of its staff unless there's some kind of trouble or concern, especially for a small, tight-knit company like FL.

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 10:38 AM

It was good of Bob to give this release but despite his assurances the changes in payment plans and multiply lay offs was bound to get people wondering about Faithlifes health and long term viability. The loss of long term contacts to company via sales staff going means these lay off broke connections people have long valued. I know I was curious if the salesperson who helped me was still around I emailed his Faithlife email expecting to hear back one way or another and never did, so even though I now know he is gone, the assurance that all emails were being checked on leads one to wonder why I never got a simple reply : "He is no longer here but I would be happy to help you when you need."  As one person said if it looks like a duck walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... It is easier to jump to what seems to be a logical conclusion but Bob has repeated told us Faithlife is in good financial condition. We have to trust in that or believe him to be a liar. I do not think with out hard evidence anyone wants to call him one. 

Dan

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 10:45 AM

Dan Francis:

It is easier to jump to what seems to be a logical conclusion but Bob has repeated told us Faithlife is in good financial condition. We have to trust in that or believe him to be a liar. I do not think with out hard evidence anyone wants to call him one. 

TIME IS A REVEALER OF ALL TRUTH! Wink

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 11:03 AM

Rene Atchley:
I am somewhat curious as to why this particular thread has such staying power.  People get laid off all the time in businesses across America.  People face tragedy and difficulties because of such layoffs.  FL is just another business that has laid people off due to whatever circumstances being put out by the management team on these forums.

Short answer: Relationship and compassion.

Rene Atchley:
People get laid off all the time in businesses across America.

Wow! A sad reality! Regardless, do you have to know people or enact a law to care and be concern?

Posts 771
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 11:54 AM

Rene Atchley:
I am somewhat curious as to why this particular thread has such staying power.  People get laid off all the time in businesses across America.  People face tragedy and difficulties because of such layoffs.  FL is just another business that has laid people off due to whatever circumstances being put out by the management team on these forums.

Nominations are now open ...

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 9041
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 1:03 PM

JRS:
Nominations are now open ...

This thread has taken a lot of side routes.

Those who check the thread for any additional news concerning the original post (like me) have to wade through tons of posts they don't care about.

Could we please let these side issues die out here? Please start new threads to discuss them further if needed. Leave this thread for anyone who hasn't seen Bob's original post (is there anyone?) or any additional news about the original post.

Please? It's just respectful. No one is telling you to stop talking. Let's just make it a bit easier for many of us.

Thanks.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2685
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 1:16 PM

Mark Smith:

This thread has taken a lot of side routes.

Those who check the thread for any additional news concerning the original post (like me) have to wade through tons of posts they don't care about.

Could we please let these side issues die out here? Please start new threads to discuss them further if needed. Leave this thread for anyone who hasn't seen Bob's original post (is there anyone?) or any additional news about the original post.

Please? It's just respectful. No one is telling you to stop talking. Let's just make it a bit easier for many of us.

Thanks.

Yes Thanks Mark, well said!!!

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2016 1:56 PM

Back on track...

It is disturbing that some of the "front line" people were affected by the layoff. They are the face and voice of the company and people are very loyal to them. Perhaps they did not fit the "used car salesperson" mode that we have all become used to of late. Still, a company like FL should nurture those who build strong customer relationships rather than show them the door.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 11 of 12 (238 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > | RSS