Should I wait ????

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 6
Joe Colby | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2016 7:03 PM

I want to buy LOGOS 6 but all the comments I have seen comments about LOGOS 7 coming (not sure when but it's coming). Should I just wait until version 7 or get 6 and pay for the upgrade ? 

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2016 7:06 PM

When Logos 6 was released, they announced (I believe) a two year update cycle. So I would get 6 now, 7 will be a ways away.

Posts 9535
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2016 7:25 PM

Welcome to the forums Joe. I don't think there is any good reason to wait for Logos 7. It could be a year or more away. Get Logos 6 today and discover a world of amazing Bible study tools.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 277
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2016 7:28 PM

No date for Logos 7 has been announced yet - speculation is that Fall 2016 will be when it is released but no one knows for sure. As a user who came in with Logos 3, I would advice you to go ahead and buy now if you want to be a Logos user.  There is no real advantage to waiting because every time a new version has come out, existing owners have been given credit for the resources they own and offered an upgrade at a minimal cost - less than $200 which covers the new resources necessary to unleash the new capabilities. There will also be great prices on upgrading your base package to a higher level when Logos 7 hits the market. Again, you will be paying for the new resources - not what you already have.

Another reason to go ahead now: you will be learning and using Logos 6 for many months before 7 comes out. If you wait, you will lose the benefit of the next months.

Bottom line: if you want Logos and can afford it, go for it now!

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2016 8:14 PM

Greg Corbin:

No date for Logos 7 has been announced yet - speculation is that Fall 2016 will be when it is released but no one knows for sure. As a user who came in with Logos 3, I would advice you to go ahead and buy now if you want to be a Logos user.  There is no real advantage to waiting because every time a new version has come out, existing owners have been given credit for the resources they own and offered an upgrade at a minimal cost - less than $200 which covers the new resources necessary to unleash the new capabilities. There will also be great prices on upgrading your base package to a higher level when Logos 7 hits the market. Again, you will be paying for the new resources - not what you already have.

Another reason to go ahead now: you will be learning and using Logos 6 for many months before 7 comes out. If you wait, you will lose the benefit of the next months.

Bottom line: if you want Logos and can afford it, go for it now!

Yes Yes! What he said! :)

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2016 8:22 PM

if you do buy, email a sales rep (cliff khavidal is my recommendation this week) and mention my name, you'll get I think 150$ in extra books, and I get I think 100$ in books, or store credit, or something like that.

Really you could mention any of our names :P but I hope you toss mine out there.

Here is the offer from Logos:

"It’s pretty simple—when a friend or family member calls a Resource Expert at 1-888-875-9491, they just need to say you referred them. Upon purchase of a new Logos 6 base package (valued over $500), they’ll receive 10% off and a $150 book bundle from Lexham Press as a special thank you, and you’ll receive a $100 Logos credit on your account."

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 383
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2016 2:38 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Welcome to the forums Joe. I don't think there is any good reason to wait for Logos 7. It could be a year or more away. Get Logos 6 today and discover a world of amazing Bible study tools.

Yes

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 7883
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2016 2:49 PM

Another reason is that there might be a set of commentaries or collection that may not be available in a base package when L7 comes out; e.g.  NIGTC and Pillar NTC were not available in L5 and those are great up-to-date sets to have :)

DAL

Posts 277
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2016 6:35 PM

DAL:

Another reason is that there might be a set of commentaries or collection that may not be available in a base package when L7 comes out; e.g.  NIGTC and Pillar NTC were not available in L5 and those are great up-to-date sets to have :)

DAL

Great point. I had thought about this angle, and did not realize these two commentary sets were not in L5.  I agree completely with this reason as well - the Pillar NTC in particular is an incredible value.

Posts 3047
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2016 8:54 PM

Joe Colby:
Should I just wait until version 7 or get 6 and pay for the upgrade ?

I'm going to be the contrarian, but I'd say wait. You know it is coming, so why pay twice? You'll be able to use the money you save for a bigger base package, more resources you want, etc. In fact, knowing it is coming allows you to save some money and avoid buying anything on credit.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2693
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2016 7:52 PM

Buy now, start getting free resources and learn Logos. It will be nothing but good for you. I never regretted making the move to Logos.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 3:49 AM

Doc B:
You know it is coming, so why pay twice?

How do you figure anyone would pay twice? If you purchase Logos 6 now, you will not have to purchase anything in that package again to upgrade to Logos 7. If the contents of the base packages are changed in 7—which is very likely—you only pay for the new resources. There will be a charge for the new features of 7, but waiting to purchase Logos will not change that. Waiting will also deprive a person of the use of Logos for several months between now and the eventual release of version 7.

Posts 947
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 7:50 AM

I would not wait.  For the reasons above.  Get it now, learn it, use it, and then just upgrade when necessary.

Posts 184
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:21 PM

Make sure you understand who you're getting advice from - mostly from people who are very "into" Logos (and very generous with their time to help others with problems with the software).

You don't have to look very far back in these forums to find that many (most?) of these guys who have or will answer this question for you have paid thousands, to tens of thousands of dollars on Logos.  For them, it is very much worth buying a version, and then paying for the features and benefits of the new version when it comes out.  If that is where you are at, then you should listen to their great advice (to go ahead and buy now, and then pay for an upgrade later).

You have been told here that there is no reason not to, because when version 7 comes out, you can get the base engine for free, and then just pay for the new resources you like.  It may or may not work like that for you.  "Crossgrades" (the new features that come with the new engine) do not any longer cost "less than $200."  In fact, the crossgrades start at $400, and go up to $800.  What most people on this forum do is just buy new packages with the new engine.  They usually reshuffle the books in these packages, so that buying a new package can give you hundreds or thousands of books.  They subtract the cost of the books you already have, so you are not paying for those again.  So, if you want hundreds or thousands of new books that you largely haven't heard of, then this is a great deal.   If you are not interested in mass quantities of electronic books you've never heard of, it might not be such a great deal.  Unless you have a pretty massive collection already, I believe it will still cost you much more than $200 to buy a new package, even with your existing books subtracted.

If you buy version 6 now, you WILL be able to download the core engine for version 7 for free at some point in the future.  However, this doesn't mean you will have all the features you have with version 6, in your core engine for version 7.  They sometimes (always?) strip away some features from old versions, when they come out with their new versions, and often provide new or other ways to do similar things in their advanced features, which are not included in the base engine.  So, for instance, I have not purchased the crossgrade for versions 4, 5, or 6.  I can still access all my books I've bought, all the way back to 1996.  However, I can't access them the same way I could with previous versions.  I can't link them together they way I used to be able to, I can't search from within Biblical texts nearly as efficiently.  There are ways around most of this, and if I purchased the new features, I might be able to do some of those things a different way, and do other new and cool things.  However, because I haven't, I have definitely lost some functionality.

Okay, that may be a longer answer than you wanted, but all that to say, if you are willing to pay hundreds or thousands for an upgrade, I would agree with most here, and say go ahead.  If you are not looking to do that, I would consider waiting.  Logos is a great tool, but keeping up with the new features of each new version is, for some of us, pretty expensive.  Your options then would be to buy a lower cost option from another company, or use online tools, and wait for version 7.  At least that will keep you in the best features of a new version for a couple of years.

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 2:01 PM

Al Het:

So, for instance, I have not purchased the crossgrade for versions 4, 5, or 6.  I can still access all my books I've bought, all the way back to 1996.  However, I can't access them the same way I could with previous versions.  I can't link them together they way I used to be able to, I can't search from within Biblical texts nearly as efficiently.  There are ways around most of this, and if I purchased the new features, I might be able to do some of those things a different way, and do other new and cool things.  However, because I haven't, I have definitely lost some functionality.

Can you give some specific examples of this?

And are you comparing against Libronix or from Logos 4 onward?

Posts 2089
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 11:10 PM

I tried to answer this question a few years ago right after we launched Logos 5. The numbers and content are outdated, but the principles still apply.

Why You Shouldn’t Wait until Logos 6 to Upgrade

Posts 2089
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 11:14 PM

Al Het:
In fact, the crossgrades start at $400, and go up to $800.

That's before dynamic pricing. Most people got Feature Crossgrade, which gave you all the new features, data, interactives, and media, for a little over $200.

Posts 2693
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 12:05 AM

Waiting is doing nothing other than feeding fear and doubt. You gain absolutely nothing. Kind of like Matthew 25:25. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3047
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 7:52 AM

Al Het:
Make sure you understand who you're getting advice from

Kinda what I was trying to say, only you said it a LOT better, Al. Well done.

Joe, you do what YOU think is best.

But if you buy L6, please do me a favor. Come back to this thread once you've upgraded to L7 and let us know how much the transition actually cost you, so we can have an objective, quantitative, measured-in-dollars look at the difference between those who say you won't "pay twice" and those (like me) who say you will, in some ways, pay twice.

One side or the other will get a good empirical education.

Stick out tongue

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 184
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 11:52 AM

Graham Criddle:
And are you comparing against Libronix or from Logos 4 onward?

Yep, I'm comparing against Libronix.  That was the last Logos software I used.

A little more than a year ago, I had to replace a hard drive on a Windows XP machine, and Libronix wouldn't load on the machine.  I called customer service, who said that I had to upgrade, because Libronix was built on some piece of MS Explorer, and Logos (Faithlife) no longer supported it with the newer versions of Explorer.  I wasn't aware of the newer versions of Logos, or of this forum.  The customer service guy sent me to these forums, and said that I would get better help here than I would with Logos customer support.

This is sort of my point I was making to the OP.  Most of the people who hang out on these forums are really into Logos, into advanced software tools and searches, having huge Logos libraries, eagerly awaiting new versions, etc.  This makes you guys great at answering questions about how to use the software.  However, I think many of the people who are sent here with questions are coming from a different place.  Many have the software to study Scripture, with specific resources, for specific purposes.  Having further, greater, advanced features might be well and good, but when things are changed such that I can't do the same things I could with the older version, and those things are the reason I bought the software, it becomes a step backward for me.

Graham Criddle:
Can you give some specific examples of this?

Sure.  Keylinks.  The ability to set the program up so that when I am in a Greek text, all I have to do is double click a word, and I automatically get all the resources I want, and ONLY the resources I want, to open in new windows, to the definition of that word I clicked on.  And when I'm in a Hebrew text, again to be able to double click on a word and all the specific resources I want (and only those resources) open in new windows.  And, when I'm in an English text, being able to double click on a word... You get the idea.

Another example would be the word-for-word association done with the NASB.  I could hover over any English word and get the Greek word.  I could also right-click on any word and click on "go to associated resource" (or something like that) and the Greek or Hebrew text would open up, with that word highlighted.

There are other examples as well, but those are the ones that come to mind.  I also seem to recall that I lost some features that I used regularly, going from version 2 to Libronix.  However, I don't remember those being particularly critical to what I did.

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS