NAC Sale, Except 1 Corinthians?

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8148
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 11:33 AM

BillS:

Kindle has bad issues on inheritance of library. I inherited my wife's kindle library on her passing. Her Kindle library was LARGE. Can I use HER account? Absolutely. Can I combine it with mine? Can I in any way change the email (aka Kindle) account associated with it? According to their customer services, absolutely NOT. Since I already HAVE a Kindle (& account), I'm stuck. They're separate. Forever.

Can't recommend it...

I've only used kindle for one purchase and some freebies, but I wouldn't recommend it either.  I love Logos, but sometimes their weird "policies" are a little bit of a turn off.  But hey, like I mentioned, I can't have it all, but overall, I'm happy with my digital library in Logos.

DAL

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 11:39 AM

DAL, you make some good points.

On a tangent, I have $10 in prepub credit that I keep forgetting to apply to my orders. Doh!

Posts 120
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 6:54 PM

Paul Caneparo:

The problem with these sales for commentary junkies is deciding when to stop spending!

Does anyone want to persuade me that I'm wrong to not have any of the following from the NAC series in my Logos library, as I now have the rest:

Deuteronomy

Job (have in Kindle when it was $1.99 - doubt I'll preach much from Job)

Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, SofS - seems too brief and doubt I'll preach much from these books

Ezekiel - seems to be too brief a commentary for a long book

Daniel

1, 2 Thessalonians - rated as accessible, but not penetrating only by DA Carson

1, 2 Timothy & Titus - rated as competent but bland by DA Carson

James - poor exegesis according to DA Carson

Revelation (have in Kindle when it was $1.99; plus I have over a dozen Rev commentaries in Logos)

I do have plenty of commentaries on all these books, so I'm interested if anyone has found any of the above indispensable.

Hi Paul,

Of the volumes you have listed, I would strongly recommend Deuteronomy, Job, Ezekiel, Daniel. Two nice-to-haves are Proverbs/Ecclesiastes/Song of Songs and the Pastorals. Some of these, in my judgment, are especially underrated in this series such as Job and Ezekiel. 

Deuteronomy. Merrill's contribution makes a great compliment to Block (NIVAC) and Thompson (TOTC) for preaching and teaching. From my Baptist perspective, he is conservative and readable without being ponderous, which to me are all worthy traits.

Job. I'm not sure why this volume has not received more clout. Every time I consulted it I was happy I did. Robert Alden is especially helpful in explaining those notorious hapax legommena which occur in Job. Basically, he answered the questions I was asking. There is not much more I could hope to get out of a mid-level commentary.

Proverbs/Ecclesiastes/Song of Songs. Duane Garrett is always helpful. True, his Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs portion is a step above Proverbs, and his Hosea and Joel volume in the same series were a step above this volume. However, I have found his comments valuable.

Ezekiel. This was the first commentary I ever read on Ezekiel, so it has a special place for me. Even so, I still prefer it most times to that of Iain Duguid, which is saying a lot, while Daniel Block's 2 volumes are in a different class altogether. Lamar Cooper writes very well and persuasively. He might be too concise at times, but most times he is just right for the audience this series shoots at.

Daniel. How you will be helped by Stephen Miller's work will depend on if you are a premillennialist or not. If you are, you will find yourself enjoying it, as I did. He is very strong on historical theology, not as strong on applied theology.

1, 2 Timothy and Titus. I found it a helpful tool for pastors and teachers in sermon prep. The authors do not make the entire commentary about the complementarian vs. egalitarian debate. 

So there is my two cents worth. Hope it is helpful. I know the NAC series has been a tremendous help for me.

Posts 1594
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 10:32 PM

Jonathan

Looks like you're trying to make me spend more money!

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS