New Year New Jerusalem Bible with full study notes

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2016 10:30 AM

New Year New Jerusalem Bible with full study notes

https://www.logos.com/product/53053/the-new-jerusalem-bible-the-complete-text-of-the-ancient-canon-of-the-scriptures

This one needs a pushWink

P A

Posts 99
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2016 11:07 AM

agreed.  would love to see this in development.

have pre-ordered already.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2016 11:19 AM

I know I have shared this in other threads but to give people a feel for what is in the notes compared to the rudimentary notes found in the readers edition I will place this here again.…

Many of you may well have the readers edition of NJB in your Libraries but to give you an idea for those of you not familiar with it. Imagine the NIV Study Bible was published first and the the translation was excised out of it with the bare minimal notes.

This is the full text:

1 At many moments in the past and by many means, God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets; 2 but in our time, the final days, a he has spoken to us in the person of his Son, b whom he appointed heir of all things c and through whom he made the ages. d 3 He is the reflection of God’s glory and bears the impress of God’s own being, e sustaining all things by his powerful command; and now that he has purged sins away, he has taken his seat at the right hand of the divine Majesty on high. 4 So he is now as far above the angels as the title which he has inherited is higher than their own name. 

a. In the fullness of time, Mk 1:15Ga 4:4c, the last times or the last days begin, Ac 2:171 P 1:20
  b. After the prophets, God sends an envoy who is no longer a mere messenger like the others; he is ‘Son’, cf. Mk 12:2-6Rm 1:4c, he is even the Word, Jn 1:1a14m
  c. To be a son implies having the right to inherit, cf. Mt 21:38Ga 4:7. Here, however, God is credited with the handing over of the whole creation because the inheritance in question is messianic and eschatological. 
  d. Hebraism for the whole of creation. 
  e. These two metaphors are borrowed from the sophia and logos theologies of Alexandria, Ws 7:25-26; they express both the identity of nature between Father and Son, and the distinction of persons. The Son is the brightness, the light shining from its source, which is the bright glory, see Ex 24:16f, of the Father (‘Light from Light’). He is also the replica, see Col 1:15d, of the Father’s substance, like an exact impression made by a seal on clay or wax, cf. Jn 14:9.

This is what the readers version we currently own in Logos provides:

1  At many moments in the past and by many means, God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets; but 2 in our time, the final days, he has spoken to us in the person of his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things and through whom he made the ages. 3 He is the reflection of God’s glory and bears the impress of God’s own being, *  sustaining all things by his powerful command; and now that he has purged sins away, he has taken his seat at the right hand of the divine Majesty on high. 4So he is now as far above the angels as the title which he has inherited is higher than their own name. 

* cf. Ws 7:25–26.

The New Jerusalem Bible (New York: Doubleday, 1985), Heb 1:1–4.

This is an invaluable work that every scholar of the Bible should want in their library. For $15.99 it is one of the greatest bargains you will find in the Logos world. Please consider ordering it to help bring this work in it's  fullness to Logos. Please note that often times the notes are far more verbose and occasionally in some books of the OT they are less so, that is the nature of Bible commentaries and Study Bibles. 

-Dan

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2016 12:49 PM

Yes this does indeed need a push ! I pre-ordered this a while back. Come on, people bid, and let's get this into production !!!!!!

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2016 9:38 AM

Bump

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 1:06 PM

Bump

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 1:34 PM

It truly is sad this in not yet under development. Indeed it really should have been part of every Verbum 7 package available. It is one of the most important study Bibles of the 20th century Just behind the NIV Study Bible in importance in m mind.

-Dan

Posts 28698
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 2:19 PM

I am often amazed at how difficult it is to get Bibles through prepub. I know that it is partially the production costs but still this is BIBLE study software.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10762
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 3:53 PM

I saw P A's bump again, and sighed ... this prepub is an innocent victim of the 'Denise rule';  if only 50% after a few weeks, then a perminent prepub.

I really would like this prepub ... but the title is the poison pill. Most people already have their favorite Bibles. Just like NET, the value is the notes.

And NJSB (renamed) has really fascinating notes. In Dan's example, note 'a' is really interesting .... fullness of time, last times, or the interesting one, last days begin.  I also wonder about note 'd'; maybe.  Note 'e' is quite good too; quite a bit is tracable to Alexandria.

Too bad we couldn't break into Bellingham HQ ... joking, of course (have to add that these days).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 450
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 3:54 PM

MJ. Smith:

I am often amazed at how difficult it is to get Bibles through prepub. I know that it is partially the production costs but still this is BIBLE study software.

That is very true. This particular text is limited to US and Canadian customers rather than the world at large. More people might seek it if the publisher's geographical restrictions were lifted, but I guess that's unlikely. Keep well Paul   

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 5:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way - has anyone tried "Alexa, get NJB out of prepub" or "Alexa, sync personal books to mobile"?

Or maybe we think we know what we want but we are wrong.

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 6:07 PM

I just placed my prepub but line looks bloody red to me. It might get taken to the slaughter soon if it stays like that.

DAL

Posts 90
Steve Nicholson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 8:17 PM

You're fortunate to be able to access the Readers Version let alone look forward to the full Study Bible. Those of us living outside of the USA & Canada are prevented by copyright restrictions from purchasing a copy!

Posts 1528
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 11:48 PM

The Exegetical Summary series often refers to NJB, and those summaries are used by many Bible translators mostly in locations outside USA and Canada.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2536
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 1:13 AM

Steve Nicholson:

You're fortunate to be able to access the Readers Version let alone look forward to the full Study Bible. Those of us living outside of the USA & Canada are prevented by copyright restrictions from purchasing a copy!

(Dont tell anyone: You can place pre-orders on restricted products even when you're outside North America!)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1528
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 12:23 AM

Denise:
'Denise rule';  if only 50% after a few weeks, then a permanent prepub

Sad fact, but this seems to prove it - I have pre-ordered this in 2013:

https://www.logos.com/product/30801/commentary-on-the-new-testament-from-the-talmud-and-midrash 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 12:50 AM

On the bright side Bullinger critical lexicon being released 4 November  :)

P A

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 12:40 PM

Time to push this one over the line-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 2 3 PUSH!

1 2 3 PUSH!

P ABig Smile

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 8:41 AM

PUSH!

P A

Posts 3534
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 8:47 AM

P A:

PUSH!

Perhaps it will show up in one of the L7 expansion bundles, to help get it into production.

Love your profile photo, by the way. Always puts a smile on my face!

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS