Inquiry about Theological Dictionaries

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:34 AM

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

What base package do you have?

Allen Browne:
Something you might like to consider is upgrading to the Scholar's Library.

I have the Scholar's Library
William Bingham:
In an earlier posting I thought you said you have the TDNT.?

Rosie Perera:
Yes, here's the post where you said you own Scholar's

Rosie Perera:
I know you were particularly concerned about not buying duplicate resources in the past (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11869.aspx). I also see that you were having some problem with TDNT not showing up in your library even though you owned it already: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11372.aspx. Make sure you have fully resolved that issue (and check to be sure you've got TWOT too; you should have it) instead of going out and buying them now.

Wow, your memory is great! Thanks. Your post before helps. The "update resources" resolve the problem.
Michael Sullivan:

5.      The TDNT is very reliable for Greek (Classical and Hellenistic),  LXX and NT word usages.
6.      Do NOT rely on it for what it says about Judaism.

Thanks. That's very helpful. Thanks all too. Your information are very helpful.

How about NIDNTT and NIDOTT? I read some of its sample and found that it seems great. And actually I pre-order it before. And I want to make sure that it is the one I need or not.

And, do you have other suggestions on a theological dictionary (of OT or NT) that is out of the list suggested by Logos but is better?

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 11:07 AM

Hi Terry,

Regarding my post - I can understand your concern about believing bloggers.  I was just trying to provide a brief summary of Kittel, which I thought Prof. Hoffman did well.  I guess my brevity was too brief. 

I have never met Prof. Hoffman, except on forums where he answered some Bibleworks and Logos questions for me concerning lexicons.  From the little I know of his theology, I know that there would be major points where we would disagree, but when it comes to his experience with Greek and greek resources, his  reviews are quite thorough, and his use and experience of various lexicons is exstensive.  I read a much more thorough and academic review of Kittel (which I believe he wrote, but I am not sure) which basically makes the same points the article I quoted previously make.  The quote was part of a much larger article that was summarizing the differences - strengthes and weaknesses - of various lexicons.  I believe that this particular work was meant only to be a summary for students, and not a scholarly review. 

In any case, I was just trying to be brief in my post, hence why I quoted Prof. Hoffman's summary.  However your concerns are valid  - we should read all things with discernment, especially the internet. 

Beer Cheers

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 11:51 AM

Michael Sullivan:
Regarding my post - I can understand your concern about believing bloggers.  I was just trying to provide a brief summary of Kittel, which I thought Prof. Hoffman did well.  I guess my brevity was too brie

Michael, thank you for your post, it made me aware of possible problems with TDNT, for which I have a bias. There is nothing more impressive to a young Christian learning Greek than to see those 10 volumes on taking up a full shelf in his Pastor's office Wink

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 1:26 PM

Michael Sullivan:
The quote was part of a much larger article that was summarizing the differences - strengthes and weaknesses - of various lexicons.

Could you give me the link?

Thanks.

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:18 PM

Hi Kolen,

I can't link precisely to the document because it is a word file and I am not sure how to link to hyperlink word files.

The hyperlink to the document is found here: http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/search/label/lexicon.  When you get to the discussion about the TDNT and see the word "drawbacks" underlined - that hyperlink will take you to the article I mentioned. 

One caveat I want to mention: the page that describes Lexicons also suggests other books.  I, personally, do not agree with all his recommendations - especially when it comes to commentaries.  I am a confessional Lutheran, where as professor Hoffman describes himself as a liberal Lutheran.  Theologically speaking, there is a great distance between the two.  Just to be clear that I am in no way endorising his suggestions.  I am just providing a handy reference.

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:11 PM

Thanks so much!

Posts 2953
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:49 PM

Rosie,

I am glad you post on this board.  Always helpful.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 10:14 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Rosie Perera:
But hey, at least I got to see the USA-CAN Hockey game yesterday, and it was awesome! 

Off-Topic:  ...Rossie, wait for the USA - Czech hockey duel. It will be the proper fight... (at finals?) Cool

Oh, so sad. Finland beat the Czech team, so we don't get to see USA - Czech. Sad

By the way, Czech is the best name for a men's hockey team, because they check all the time. Hee hee!Wink

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 10:19 AM

Rosie Perera:
Finland beat the Czech team

Yea, if only I was quiet. Let us turn the subject Embarrassed

Bohuslav

Posts 116
Paolo russo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 12:52 PM

I hope resuming this post from 2010 make sense.

I love my new buy NIDOTTE, so much that I bought NIDNTT.

Now i'm curious if I should add BDAG, HALOT, EDNT, TDNT (or the concise one), or any IVP. 

I've read all the post on the forum, and still I cannot get from people who have some of them, which one would be nice to get. I love TLOT, generally I like DBL, BDB and NASB, but the fact I don't translate seems to push me to use more Theological Dictionaries than Lexical Dictionaries.

So, your opinion, which Theological one can I add to TLOT, NIDOTTE, NIDNTT, and get something more than I already see?

Ps. I am struggling with the issue to decide if I want to buy EDNT or TDNT, and in the second case, if the little kittel would be enough

Posts 12580
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 2:13 PM

Paolo russo:

just hit "space" once after posting a link

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12580
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 2:14 PM

Paolo russo:

or Return

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 116
Paolo russo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 2:21 PM

Thx!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 6:12 PM

Paolo, you're driving us crazy!  Normally the standard answer for hebrew/greek is BDAG/HALOT (which Logos packages together to allow saving money).

However I'll admit BDAG and HALOT do their best to confuse, if one is not somewhat familiar with the problem.

Frankly, if I were you, I'd want a basic solid lexicon: my favorite I use in church for quick lookup is AMG Complete Word Studies (there's one for the OT and one for the NT). They're quick, not fancy. And affordable too.

Regarding more theological resources, of course you want TWOT and TDNT. Both are very wordy; definitely more wordy than your new NIDOTTE for example.  I rarely use either one, though I have them.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 116
Paolo russo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2013 12:48 AM

Thanks, I checked https://www.logos.com/product/9438/amg-bible-essentials and looks so promising and rewarding. But there is not mobile version, which I use.

i will consider for later use. TWOT? Logos doesnt sell it anymore :-(

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS