Double Click words to open Prioritized Resources

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Tim & Bron | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2016 2:13 PM

I'm a bit slow starting the Logos 30 Day Challenge, but day 2 mentions that after prioritizing the Lexham Bible Dictionary, I can double click on the word "tempter" in Matthew 4:3 and it should open LBD to the entry on Satan. I have prioritized LBD and have only Bibles prioritized above it (and a couple of devotions below it and that's all), and double clicking the word "tempter" in Matt 4:3 opens my (old) Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (Eleventh Edition) instead.

MWCD is not prioritized, but it does have an entry for Tempter, which LBD doesn't - is that the reason Logos is opening that resource instead of the prioritized resource?

Any tips or tricks to get this working as expected would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

Posts 5
Tim & Bron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2016 2:15 PM

Sorry forgot to mention running Logos 6.9.0044 (SR-1) and obviously have a lot of older resources from previous versions of a base package dating back to 2004(?)...

Posts 35538
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2016 2:17 PM

You figured it out quite nicely. Logos goes for the highest priority dictionary that has an appropriate entry. When it runs out of things you prioritized, it uses its own default priorities. Keep asking questions like this and you'll be comfortable with Logos in no time.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27849
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 2:29 AM

The Badger Family:

MWCD is not prioritized, but it does have an entry for Tempter, which LBD doesn't - is that the reason Logos is opening that resource instead of the prioritized resource?

Any tips or tricks to get this working as expected would be much appreciated.

You shoud prioritise a few bible dictionaries (or type:encyclopedia) to cater for this situation. When you right click "tempter" you should see a list of resources that contain it, and use those as a guide to your prioritisation.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 5
Tim & Bron | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 2:59 AM

Thanks MJ & Dave - I think I must have too many older resources clogging things up. Even when I right click on the word, the Lexham Bible Dictionary doesn't rank a mention behind the English dictionaries I have installed. I'm not really that surprised though because the LBD entry that came up in the 30 Day Challenge videos was title "Satan" which is a long shot from "tempter" in Matt 4. Yes Biblically they are very closely related, but with so many other resources competing, it's probably quite a long way down the list...

Thanks again for your tips - much appreciated.
Tim

Posts 25762
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 4:21 AM

The Badger Family:
I'm not really that surprised though because the LBD entry that came up in the 30 Day Challenge videos was title "Satan" which is a long shot from "tempter" in Matt 4.

It's not to do with the fact that the terms are different - it is just down to prioritization.

If, for example, you prioritize LBD as your highest prioritised dictionary you should get the passage on Satan when you double-click on tempter. Behind the scenes the software is recognising the relationship between them.

Posts 2068
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 4:41 AM

The Badger Family:
I have prioritized LBD and have only Bibles prioritized above it (and a couple of devotions below it and that's all),

It's strange that in that case Logos is still pulling from MW... Could you post a screenshot of your library prioritization?

Posts 5
Tim & Bron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2016 11:49 AM

Thanks Graham & Reuben,

I think it's fair to say that I've realised that since I only ever bought a Logos 3 base package and have never upgraded anything other than the core engine to Logos 6, that I'm missing a few features that makes things behave differently. For example in the Day 5 video, it mentions the topic guide and whilst I can open a topic guide window, it doesn't work for me because I don't have Logos 5 base package which contains the tools needed to activate this feature.

Let's not waste any more time on this - I'll make do with what I have for now.
Thanks
Tim

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS