How to search for all proper noun entities in a book

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 19 2016 4:43 AM

Greetings logos nerds. I'm new to the forums and still relatively new to logos.

Id like to make a list of every location mentioned by name (proper noun) in the book of Isaiah. Names of cities, countries, etc. How would I go about doing that? I've searched both the wiki and the forums but can't find an answer. I would imagine similar searches for people/characters would also be useful in the future. 

Thanks!

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 5:37 AM

In "Lexham Hebrew Bible", open an inline search, filter your passage range to Isaiah. Switch to the morph search type, type @ to bring up the drop-down, then select Noun - Proper, and search!

In the upper-right hand corner of the inline search, select the little "Send to..." button, and send the search results to a word list. You'll end up with a word list of around 175 words, all proper nouns.

Or, even more powerful, if you have Logos or Verbum Now, you can also run the Concordance against a Bible with reverse interlinear. Filter down to Isaiah, then select Lemma, then filter by proper nouns. Then you can order in alphabetical or count, and even see the specific hits for each lemma.

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 5:56 AM

Robert, I noticed you wanted only locations, such as cities and such. So, that would be done like this...

Open up a full blown search panel, and choose to search in The Hebrew Bible: Anderson-Forbes Analyzed Text. Switch to the morph tab. Search for @NP to get proper nouns.

Then you need to switch to "Analysis" view, which will display an Excel-like grid. 

Drag the "Semantic Domain" tab up and group by it. 

Then drag the "Lemma (Hebrew)" tab up and place it to the right of the "Semantic Domain" tab to subgroup by it.

Then, on one of the header rows in the results, right click and choose "Summary view". The results under Geographic Name / place are what you are looking for. You can also then export these results to EXCEL.

You might also be interested in the Concordance in the "Biblical Entity" view, although that includes any reference to a place, city, etc., even if a pronoun is used.

Posts 3675
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 6:59 AM

Well done, Devin!

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:19 AM

Indeed, thank you for the response, though I must say this is a profoundly unintuitive way to search.  And for some reason I don't have 'summary view' under the right click.  So at the end of it, I still have to eliminate all the redundancies in order to arrive at a simple list.   Sure seems like there should be an easier/quicker way. 

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:25 AM

Hi Robert, and welcome to the forums. Fr Devin has given you a great answer above. It is also worth knowing that if you're ever trying to do this sort of thing in the New Testament there's an easy way of doing it with Louw-Nida semantic domains. This can be used for all sorts of things, but works very well for place names. I'm aware you are asking for Isaiah so it won't work for that, but if you are new to Logos it's worth being aware of as it can simplify searches greatly in some cases. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything similar for the Old Testament. See screenshot below for details. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 3675
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:49 AM

If all you want is a list, you can get it through the Explorer under Biblical Places as so:

Type "Explorer" in the command box. Note: the screenshot above is only partial.

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 8:02 AM

Robert Esperat:

And for some reason I don't have 'summary view' under the right click.  

Maybe you are clicking in the wrong place? Try clicking on the number in parenthesis that appears after every place name. 

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 8:07 AM

Francis:

If all you want is a list, you can get it through the Explorer under Biblical Places as so:

Nice idea! Note that it won't limit to proper nouns, but could include references to places that don't use proper nouns... so depending on specific needs, you may want to combine with the searching method.

As well, note this, which allows you to copy and paste the list the explorer produces:

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 8:19 AM

YES!! I knew there had to be an easy button for this kind of thing.

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2016 8:20 AM

Aha!  I was indeed clicking in the wrong place.  Thanks!  You guys might have just made me a loyal forumite.  Thanks again for all your help.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS