Logos giving up on certain prepubs

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1116
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2016 6:59 PM

I received notice today that Logos is removing a number of books from their prepublication plans, because there was not enough support for these books.

I made several suggestions.

1)  Tell us how much more they need to publish a book or set, and maybe somebody will contribute that amount.

2)  Allow people to raise the prepub price they are willing to pay.  I often bid the max on community pricing, because I really wanted to see something in print.  Give us that option here as well.

3)  Accept donations to a book fund for these books.

A lot of scholarly books have very short print runs, because there are not a lot of people who want to read them.  That does not make them unimportant or even less important that more popular books.

Posts 33255
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 7:47 PM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 9:01 PM

Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 9:40 PM

Yes

Posts 1109
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:41 PM

This is a very good suggestion! Yes

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2016 10:44 PM

Lee:

This is a very good suggestion! Yes

Yes  Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 2:20 AM

Yes

Posts 9621
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 4:32 PM

Here's another thumb's up. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 295
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 4:36 PM

Yes

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 5:53 AM

Yes

I would add:

4) Post expiration dates

Not that the expiration date has to be posted from the beginning. It could be an internal timer. But when it gets to, say, 30 days out, then a visible timer could go up on the product page. Emails and blog posts could go out telling people there are less than 30 days to get this selection of titles over the line.

I'm often amazed at how many people jump on a Community Pricing set just because the price is about to go up. I know it's not exactly the same as pre-pub, but I do think people move faster when there is a deadline.

Posts 2519
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 6:25 AM

I agree.

It seems to be common for people (myself included) to place an order for a resource if there is a deadline.  As you said, community pricing illustrates this as doe the number of users who purchased Moody resources when Logos told us that they would be going away.

Posts 670
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 6:26 AM

Larry Craig:

I received notice today that Logos is removing a number of books from their prepublication plans, because there was not enough support for these books.

I made several suggestions.

1)  Tell us how much more they need to publish a book or set, and maybe somebody will contribute that amount.

2)  Allow people to raise the prepub price they are willing to pay.  I often bid the max on community pricing, because I really wanted to see something in print.  Give us that option here as well.

3)  Accept donations to a book fund for these books.

A lot of scholarly books have very short print runs, because there are not a lot of people who want to read them.  That does not make them unimportant or even less important that more popular books.

I would definitely have been willing to pay more than the pre-pub price for some of my cancelled orders if that had been an option.

Posts 253
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 9:56 AM

For some of the books I wonder if they considered switching to a Vyrso version, not all books need the tagging and some were put on pre pub before Vyrso was an option.

Posts 9621
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 10:17 AM

Graham Owen:

For some of the books I wonder if they considered switching to a Vyrso version, not all books need the tagging and some were put on pre pub before Vyrso was an option.

I believe this is being considered.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 11:22 AM

Larry Craig:

I'd already suggested this in the long thread on these cancellations. It would seem more reasonable given FL's use of Kickstarter for some other projects.

For at least one of my pre-pub's, I'd have considered footing the production bill - depending (of course) on what that figure was.

-Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS