Highlighting struggles: Collecting all highlights of a single style

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Scott | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 25 2016 12:52 AM

I'm pretty new to Verbum and I find it to be an incredible resource, but I also often find it complicated and frustrating. Or maybe that's just me. :)

I struggling with highlighting a lot. I have a custom set of highlighters that I use for highlighting across all resources, with the highlighter name indicating the kind of highlight it is: Scripture, Apologetics, Notations, Quote, and Personal. (I think I duplicated the standard set of highlighters and renamed them. I don’t really remember though.)

Is there a way in Verbum Mac 6 to see, in a single place, all of my highlights of a single style ("Quotes" for example) across all resources?

For most of my highlighting, I don't care so much what resource I created the highlight in, just what style it is ("Quotes," "Apologetics," etc.). For example, I use the green highlighter style (that I renamed "Quotes") to highlight passages that are particularly interesting, provocative, pithy, etc. I do this to create my own "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations" resource for use on social media, in blogging, etc. I have passages in many different resources highlighted with this "Quotes" style: Catechism, Chesterton’s Orthodoxy, Faith Facts, lives of the saints, etc. I want to see all these "Quotes" highlights in a single list.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 12:59 AM

try as a search against your library

{Highlight Style Quote}

where Quote is the style name.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 22
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 1:14 AM

Thanks M.J. {Highlight Style Quotes} returns nothing. "Quotes" is the exact name of my style and the palette name is "Highlights". I've tried several different ways to structure this and several different styles (and in resources that I know have a particular style highlight) but I get nothing.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 1:29 AM

Hmmm ... check https://community.logos.com/forums/p/113286/750657.aspx or https://wiki.logos.com/search_help#Highlighting_Styles I'm headed to bed early tonight but Graham can get it working if you still have problems.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3645
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 1:43 AM

Hi Scott, it seems that they have changed the syntax a bit in that you cannot simply search for {Highlight PaletteName} (at least it does not work for me) but must specify an argument such as {Highlight PaletteName/ColorName} (e.g. {Highlight Solid Colors/Yellow}) or if you want to see all styles within the palette {Highlight PaletteName/*}.

Posts 21643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 1:58 AM

Scott Spinola:

Thanks M.J. {Highlight Style Quotes} returns nothing. "Quotes" is the exact name of my style and the palette name is "Highlights". I've tried several different ways to structure this and several different styles (and in resources that I know have a particular style highlight) but I get nothing.

Hi Scott

From the Logos 6 help file the syntax you want is {Highlight Stylename

So {Highlight Quotes} should do it for you

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 2:06 AM

If you use one of the standard palettes, it works like this: 

{Highlight Highlighter Pens/Orange Highlighter}

Which, for me, produces the following result:

So if you're using a custom palette, you'll need to use the search syntax: 

{Highlight palette name/style name}.

You do need to use curly brackets - ordinary parentheses won't work. 

The other thing that is worth remembering is that, by default, highlights go into a notes file with the name of the palette that you use, so you could check your Notes files if you haven't been forcing the highlights into a resource-specific Notes file. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 22
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 7:20 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. You've all been very helpful.

It looks like two strings worked for me:

• {Highlight palette/style} - needed if two palettes have a style of the same name and you only want one
  • {Highlight style} - good if the style name is unique or (I guess) if you want to find style in multiple palettes

I appreciate everyone's help.

It seems insane to me that I have to resort to an obscure scrap of code to do something that the software already knows how to do — search by style. I can already refine the search through filters like this:

It would seem that they should continually refine the search as I select filters and not wait until I type in a search phrase. Any time software makes a user resort to inserting codes to do something, the developers should find a way to do it through the interface. Hopefully Logos finds a way to make this simpler.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 12:55 AM

Scott Spinola:
It would seem that they should continually refine the search as I select filters and not wait until I type in a search phrase. Any time software makes a user resort to inserting codes to do something, the developers should find a way to do it through the interface. Hopefully Logos finds a way to make this simpler.

Glad you got there Scott, and welcome to the forums. There is a thread somewhere about it, but there have been requests for an improved search interface, so I'm hopeful that we will see something better before too long. What I find frustrating is that for some searches the interface does proactively offer suggestions, but for others it doesn't. In the last major version they introduced a lot of new search labels and fields, which made searching a lot more powerful, but also added complexity. I hope the next iteration will remove some of the complexity! 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 3645
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:12 AM

Scott Spinola:
It seems insane to me that I have to resort to an obscure scrap of code

Scott, I agree that it remains somewhat problematic for user experience that many of the commands in Logos require properly formatted syntax and of a kind that is not natural, but must be learned.

I have proposed a possible solution with regard to palettes and styles searches here:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/123410/806170.aspx#806170

Perhaps this will generate discussion and even better ideas.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS