Logos 4 Mac Widget

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Allen Townsend | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:29 PM

I am a recent convert from Accordance Bible software for Mac. By in large, the Logos Alpha versions are far superior in their content and presentation than is Accordance. However, I was really taken back by the lack of a solid widget for Logos.

I downloaded the 2.3 widget today and was very disappointed that it only allowed the ESV and KJV versions and did not allow me to access anything from my paid version of Logos 4, such as the iPhone app. Overall, this is the only thing I prefer of Accordance over Logos. They had a great platform for converting references into document insertions. 

Will there be an upgrade to this widget in the future?

Will it eventually allow a user to quickly reference information and insert it into documents, etc.?

A happy convert with a few desires, :)

allen

Posts 27
Carlin Wong | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:35 PM

Allen Townsend:
Will it eventually allow a user to quickly reference information and insert it into documents, etc.?

Hi Allen!

Welcome to the wonderful world of LOGOS!  I am no expert in any case since I've only owned the program for only 2 months.  BUT, that being said, as I've prepared messages for my talk, I've been pleasantly surprised that when you directly COPY a selected portion of the text from the books you are using, and then you PASTE it into Pages or Word, the reference is neatly right beneath the copied part with the page number as well! 

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but if it's the reference, give it a try!  It's really cool.

-Carlin

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:42 PM

actually i believe that is only working in MS Word.  Pages doesn't allow that yet.

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 22
Allen Townsend | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:43 PM

Carlin,

I agree. I love the full reference features. It has been really helpful in my writing.

However, a widget is for those quick references when one doesn't have the time to load the full program and just needs fast access to a verse. 

Posts 27
Carlin Wong | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:48 PM

Allen Townsend:
However, a widget is for those quick references when one doesn't have the time to load the full program and just needs fast access to a verse. 

Ahhh.. Well, that makes sense then!  A widget would be nice.

In terms of the pasting not working in PAGES, how I do it is I paste in a program called WRITEROOM and the reference appears.  That program makes my whole screen black so I can concentrate on writing.  Then I transfer everything to Pages. 

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Allen Townsend:
I downloaded the 2.3 widget today and was very disappointed that it only allowed the ESV and KJV versions and did not allow me to access anything from my paid version of Logos 4, such as the iPhone app. Overall, this is the only thing I prefer of Accordance over Logos. They had a great platform for converting references into document insertions. 

So, the dashboard widget you downloaded appears to have been created sometime in 2007, which was over 2 years before Logos 4 was launched.

The closest thing to what you're asking is called "Copy Bible Verses" and we haven't yet implemented it on the Mac, but it's a part of Logos 4.

(see the screenshot here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/12208/95252.aspx#95252)

It's not a separate widget, but is within the app.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 8:27 AM

I also was wondering if a future upgrade to the widget might expand its search capabilities and integrate more seamlessly with L4Mac.

It would be great to have lighter, faster access to the Biblical text through a widget or menu bar type of interface.

Once L4Mac is opened and ready to go it is very powerful but there are many times I go to another resource to quickly find and copy a Bible verse just because the startup time of L4Mac is a distraction to my thought process.

Of course, one could argue that a user should just keep L4Mac open at all times and just use the Copy Verses tool.

The problem with that is that L4Mac in its idle state has such a large footprint for CPU usage and memory.

Is the development plan to improve startup time and CPU/memory usage to the point that a widget would not be needed? 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 9:30 AM

Option: starting Logos 4 using blank layout seems fast:

Launch Logos 4 (click Dock icon), hold CMD key => sign-in dialog, click "Use blank layout", then click "Sign In"

Dreaming: program setting for Mac and Windows to open Logos using blank layout.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6
Dave Nannery | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 10:48 AM

Your dreams have come true!

Click "Customize" at the bottom of the home page. Uncheck "Show home page at startup."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 3:57 PM

Dave Nannery:

Your dreams have come true!

Click "Customize" at the bottom of the home page. Uncheck "Show home page at startup."

Not quite - unchecking "Show home page at startup" causes Logos 4 to startup with previous layout.  Either option has crash potential - home pages can have issues (e.g. get web section) and previous layouts can have surprises (with frustration potential) => open Logos 4, previous layout surprise crashes Logos 4 and closes program - have to know how to start Logos 4 with blank layout.

Logos 4 Mac and Windows have key-stoke options during startup to choose "Use Blank Layout" - hence dreaming of Program Setting or Home Page customization to choose Blank Layout for default startup => can click Home Page button OR choose Layout OR do something else (e.g. search OR open library).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 707
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 5:41 PM

I think my dream would actually involve a way of accessing the Biblical text without having to open the program at all.

Something more integrated into the OS itself.

Perhaps a service that could start at login with menu bar item that would allow you to search and copy a text. Or something like TextExpander that expanded short hand references. Or a widget.

Or perhaps best of all some sort of Spotlight/Quicksilver/Google Quick Search way of searching and copying results.

This kind of quick access would really help me keep my train of thought when I am really into sermon prep or writing.

It would also be very Mac-like.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS