ESV Interlinear Using What Greek Text?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 104
Jeremy Writebol | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 11 2016 8:42 AM

Today I was working on Mark 1:40-42 and when I when to chase after the word "pity" it took me to the Greek word "angry". Not what I was expecting.  I then went and looked up the USB4 and the word is "pity" as well as NA28. Where are they getting "angry" from - I know it was a small textual variant in a few manuscripts but... seems like a leap for the interlinear to drop that in instead of pity. 

Posts 9147
LogosEmployee

The ESV is aligned to the SBLGNT text. It does not take into account the ESV translators' choices to use alternate readings.

Posts 29730
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 8:57 AM

No idea. I assume the same as the translators. 

Side note: look up isn't working currently on mobile. My computer blew up recently so I'm making do with my iPad until new ones are released (hopefully next week) Tongue Tied

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29730
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 8:58 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

The ESV is aligned to the SBLGNT text. It does not take into account the ESV translators' choices to use alternate readings.

Interesting...

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 9:20 AM

SBL Apparatus shows alternate reading plus SBL is different than UBS5 , NA28, NA27 , LGNTI, & LDGNT:

Found three Reverse Interlinears have lemma σπλαγχνίζομαι in Mark 1:41

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 104
Jeremy Writebol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2016 10:07 AM

SBLGNT is the alternate reading and has less (and weaker) textual support for its reading. ESV was translated on the USB4//NA27 - shouldn't the interlinear reflect that?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS