CRASH Freezing/Pinwheeling at startup

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:32 AM

Hi,

I had been running previous versions of Logos on a older Macbook Pro (2006) until the operating system was no longer supported. I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro and I am now running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3 (15D21). The unit is described below:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Serial number: C02Q9MEFFVH3

Upon receiving the new unit, I proceeded to do a standard transfer from the old unit, as well as update the new unit to the latest software and OS releases through the Apple Store. Upon completing this task, I then proceeded to update to Logos 6. Since that time, Logos 6 has NEVER opened.

I have gone through countless cycles of completely uninstalling every Logos related file/folder/plist I could find according to the instructions on the Logos website, and then attempting to re-download the core engine and re-install. Maybe twice have I been able to actually confirm the EULA, but immediately the pinwheel begins and there is no luck moving forward after force quitting, restarting the computer,...nothing. The app does not respond AT ALL upon attempting to start.

PLEASE HELP. I have tons of money invested into these resources which are--to say the least--absolutely priceless to me and my work.

Thanks in advance for any help. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

4532.LogosLogs.TheVeil.20160315-130949.zip

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 6:20 AM
Welcome! Sorry you are having troubles Tongue Tied I opened your log files, but I am not sure how helpful they are. There isn't a logos.log or crash file. At what stage did you grab these files? I assume you used the logging helper app from FL to grab the logs, right? You may have to contact customer service by phone (the quickest method) or wait for a Faithlife employee to jump in (may take a while). Do you happen to have a firewall? How is your internet connection? Do you have an anti-virus in place?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 6:38 AM

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

These files were grabbed in accordance with the steps on the following link:

https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/report-problem

Logos 6 was completely closed. I opened the Logos Logging Utility and was sure that "Enabled" was selected. I recreated the problem by opening the Logos 6 app from the Applications folder, allowed it to freeze/start the pinwheel, and the clicked on "Sample" in the Logos Logging Utility. What you have in the Log Files that were saved to my desktop is what was yielded.

I do have a firewall and serious fiber internet connection. How would these affect? There are no other issues with other applications.

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 6:42 AM

The following were grabbed using the "archive" selection on the Logos Logging Utility.

5751.LogosLogs.TheVeil.20160315-144003.zip

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 6:51 AM

Christopher Bryan:
Logos 6 was completely closed. I opened the Logos Logging Utility and was sure that "Enabled" was selected. I recreated the problem by opening the Logos 6 app from the Applications folder, allowed it to freeze/start the pinwheel, and the clicked on "Sample" in the Logos Logging Utility. What you have in the Log Files that were saved to my desktop is what was yielded.

That sounds good, and explains what is in the zip file. 

Christopher Bryan:
I do have a firewall and serious fiber internet connection. How would these affect?

Well, FL "dials home" and downloads all of your resources, settings, notes, etc. Your internet doesn't appear to be a problem, but the firewall very well may be an issue. Have you tried temporarily disabling it or using another (good) internet connection? 

Also, have you tried loading to a blank layout? From the wiki: "To turn on logging, launch Logos for OS X, then quickly press and hold command key until Sign In appears, release command key. Click Sign In". That should also load to a blank layout. I am not sure if it will work with a brand new installation or not. 

Do you have access to your old installation? You can save time with resource downloads by using the "scan" command. If you get into the app and would like help with that. See this wiki link:  https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs#Copy_Logos_Resources_to_Mac_OS_X 

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 7:16 AM

To be honest, the firewall wasn't on until you mentioned it to me. Surprise So that is still ruled out. 

Just to reconfirm the issue from the beginning, your recommendation assumes that Logos will even start. I tried anyway...no joy. "Sign in"--nor anything else--appears. Just the pinwheel of death. Still takes a "Force Quit" to even shut down and go back to the beginning.

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 7:18 AM

The old installation is Logos 5 on a 2006 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.5. Support is no longer given for either the OS or Logos 5, and the hardware can receive no further software updates.

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 8:25 AM

Christopher Bryan:
I tried anyway...no joy. "Sign in"--nor anything else--appears. Just the pinwheel of death. Still takes a "Force Quit" to even shut down and go back to the beginning.

You will need to call Faithlife.

Christopher Bryan:

The old installation is Logos 5 on a 2006 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.5. Support is no longer given for either the OS or Logos 5, and the hardware can receive no further software updates.

I know... however, if you still have access to it, you can save your self potentially a long time of downloads... although that doesn't help your immediate issue. If the old MacBook is only good for scraps, you should purchase an external hard drive case (make sure to get the right kind for your MacBook drive). You can then plug the drive into your USB port on your MacBook and get the resource files to scan over to the new installation. 

Christopher Bryan:
I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro

Did you get a good deal? I know that new MacBooks are due "at any time." My MacBook went belly up a few weeks ago, and I have been given the "go ahead" from my wife to purchase a new one... but I am holding out at least until Monday when Apple holds its next event. I am REALLY hoping new ones are released to allow me to 1) get a brand new model OR 2) get a really good deal on a new "old" model. 

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 4:31 AM

Got FL on the horn with remote access. Tech guy went to Terminal and apparently discovered a .wapi permissions issue that needs some savvy UNIX to repair. Nothing that can be done on the surface. It Logos 6 installation wants to access this file and the permissions are closed, causing the process to hang every time.

The Terminal responses looked like this:

Last login: Tue Mar 15 12:44:51 on console

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ /Applications/Logos.app/Contents/MacOS/Logos ; exit;

_wapi_shm_file_open: shared file [/Users/TheVeil/.wapi/shared_data-Logos-Darwin-x86_64-304-12-0] open error: Permission denied

_wapi_shm_attach: shared file [/Users/TheVeil/.wapi/shared_data-Logos-Darwin-x86_64-304-12-0] open error

* Assertion at shared.c:548, condition `tmp_shared != NULL' not met

[Restored Mar 15, 2016, 10:26:19 PM]

Last login: Tue Mar 15 22:24:57 on ttys000

Restored session: Tue Mar 15 22:26:02 CET 2016

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ ls -ld ~

drwxr-xr-x+ 52 TheVeil  staff  1768 Jan 24 19:53 /Users/TheVeil

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ ls -ld ~/documents

drwx------+ 18 TheVeil  staff  612 Feb  6 20:24 /Users/TheVeil/documents

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ ls -ld ~/.wapi

drwxr-xr-x  2 jessica  staff  68 Dec 26 15:32 /Users/TheVeil/.wapi

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ chmod 755 ~/.config

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ chmod 755 ~/.config/.mono

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ chmod 700 ~/.config/.mono/keypairs

chmod: /Users/TheVeil/.config/.mono/keypairs: No such file or directory

So I am waiting for them to get back to me with instructions from one of the developers on how to fix this, or let them in again to do it themselves. Apparently this has happened a handful of times, but always with transfers from old to new Macs, generating permissions issues.

Regarding the purchase, the deal was about $250 off the normal price for an early 2015 MBP. Don't know if the qualifies as a new "old" or not, but there was only one direction to go from a late 2006 MBP with an already once oven-baked logic board. 2013, popped soldering while installing new RAM. (Was during my wife's thesis work. We're still married thankfully.) Tore the thing apart and put the logic board in the oven for 75 seconds at a cozy temp. Reassembled and has worked fine ever since, but began slowing down considerably in the last 4-5 months, not to mention old OS and no further upgrades. It was time.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:40 AM

Christopher Bryan:

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ ls -ld ~/documents

drwx------+ 18 TheVeil  staff  612 Feb  6 20:24 /Users/TheVeil/documents

MacBook-Pro-2:~ TheVeil$ ls -ld ~/.wapi

drwxr-xr-x  2 jessica  staff  68 Dec 26 15:32 /Users/TheVeil/.wapi

Are two user accounts being used ? Ownership of .wapi folder in TheVeil home directory has jessica instead of TheVeil

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 12:28 PM

Answer from support was the following:

Development has verified my suspicions that your user account had incorrect permissions over the .wapi folder. You’ll need to run this command in terminal to hopefully set the permissions to what they should be. 

1. Open Terminal (you can do this in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder).
  2. Paste the following into the Terminal command line and hit 
  3. sudo chown -R TheVeil ~/.wapi
  4. Open Logos.
Posts 8
Christopher Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2016 12:28 PM

WIN

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS