Thoughts on Wright [NT Book] for everyone

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3903
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 1 2016 7:46 AM

I was curious if anyone is familiar with the MM winner and his commentary set mentioned above. Any good? Applicable for evangelical/reformed/nondenominational types?

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 7:51 AM

I have them from a MM some years ago.  I have found them to be minimally helpful.  I would list them in the bottom 10 of commentaries that I use.  For the price, worth picking up I think, but mainly as an occasional resource if I get into a difficult passage.

I write from the Reformed perspective.

Posts 1172
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 7:54 AM

Mattillo:
I was curious if anyone is familiar with the MM winner and his commentary set mentioned above.

I was tempted to get them as part of one of the Anglican base packages. Looking over them, I found them extremely simplistic, to the point I would probably never use them, and not worth the money even at a greatly discounted base package price. And I write this as someone who enjoys his academic writing.

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 7:57 AM

I think they're great! Although they are nothing like a traditional commentary, Wright often manages to present new insights and themes that are great jumping off points for sermons etc. I would highly recommend them. Especially great to read through cover to cover!

Posts 301
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 8:13 AM

I wouldn't quite call these a commentary set.  I really like them and my usage has been to use them as a way to read through the New Testament as a devotional.  They do have some use for me in look at passages. 

Posts 1382
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 8:14 AM

The home Bible study groups at my church (Dutch reformed) are currently using this commentary to study 1 Corinthians. It is very accessible for lay people. I like the series as a devotional commentary.

I hope Logos/FL will also add the For Everyone Bible Study Guides. These are included by default in the Dutch translation of the commentaries.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 10:01 AM

I like them, but would describe them as devotionals rather than commentaries. They certainly don't go through the text verse-by-verse and don't often deal explicitly with exegetical difficulties. I recommend them to people as a healthier option than Bible reading notes, but I do also use them as the anecdotes he uses for most passages are helpful when thinking about illustrations for preaching on a passage. He also provides his own translation for each passage, which is also often helpful where there are translation issues. Well worth having, but I don't really use them as commentaries. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 10:26 AM

I find them useful for teaching small groups, especially new Christians and those for whom English is their second language.

Posts 1464
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 11:03 AM

Right, more devotional than heavily exegetical. Nevertheless, I've found some good insights here to share with others. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 3:23 AM

I picked this set up during a previous MM and agree with much of what has been said.

In my opinion, these are devotionals rather than commentaries and tend to be very simplistic, but also, in fairness, very readable.

I do not use this set for serious study, but there have been occasions in which I have reviewed an entry in the final phase of sermon prep. On a couple of those occasions, the entry helped me simplify a particular explanation or point. On one occasion, Wright articulated an observation in a way which I found particularly helpful. I think I may have shared that particular quotation with the congregation.

Taken as a whole, however, I could probably do without the set. If you are looking for a fairly solid and readible devotional set, however, this may be of interest. 

Posts 1043
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 6:08 AM

I think they are good... essentially the collected sermons of Tom Wright.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 2:52 PM

I consider them just slightly below, but in the same style as Wiersbe. Good for some illustrations and a light read. Vastly inferior to that other Anglican Devotional Commentary, the Bible Speaks Today. Also, since it is Wright, it is evangelical, but it is written from the New Perspective.

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 5:13 PM

Anyone has any thoughts on Goldingay's OT for everyone? This set will be discounted with the purchase of the pre-pub of the new volumes.

Posts 3903
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 5:23 PM

Do you have a link for that deal?

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 5:28 PM

Mattillo:

The link is: https://www.logos.com/product/56519/old-testament-for-everyone-series-upgrade

Posts 7279
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 5:30 PM

Mattillo:

https://www.logos.com/product/56519/old-testament-for-everyone-series-upgrade 

DAL

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2016 6:37 PM

Mathew Voth:

I think they're great! Although they are nothing like a traditional commentary, Wright often manages to present new insights and themes that are great jumping off points for sermons etc. I would highly recommend them. Especially great to read through cover to cover!

I'm with Mathew.  He always has great insight and a keen way of explaining/illustrating.  Great for big-picture and practical thinking/living.  No need for commentary snobbery.  I own some very big commentary sets with lots of Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic.  For what it is, however, this little set is the Wright choice.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 588
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2016 2:08 AM

Hi Paul, I have Wright's and Goldingay's respective 'For Everyone' series. I like them both for what they are: devotional commentaries underpinned by excellent scholarship.

If you have used Wright's 'For Everyone' series then you'll know exactly what to expect from Goldingay because they share the same format.

The best way to learn if they are what you would find useful would be to purchase and read a bit of them in the knowledge that Logos has an excellent no fuss returns policy.

Posts 2079
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2016 4:19 AM

Andy:
I do not use this set for serious study, but there have been occasions in which I have reviewed an entry in the final phase of sermon prep. On a couple of those occasions, the entry helped me simplify a particular explanation or point. On one occasion, Wright articulated an observation in a way which I found particularly helpful.

This is pretty much exactly how I use them.  It helps me to add details that lighten up my lessons a little, but those details are often insightful in such a way that I had not thought of or come across before.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2016 8:48 PM

I echo that. I have found them very serendipitous.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS