Calvin 500 Collection (108 Vols.) - is it worth it?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 26 2010 8:42 AM

I know, silly question; though, seriously, I am on the edge and it is the last minuite. I am almost there, I just need somone to confirm that this is great deal that ends today.

Anyone have tesomony on how wonderful this commentary is?

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 8:46 AM

Calvin's commentaries have stood the test of time. They really are good. The Institutes are great as well. Everything else? I don't see myself reading any of it.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 8:55 AM

Minimally, I would want the commentaries and a copy of the Institutes. At pre-pub that ends today, the commentaries are $130 and an ebook copy of the Institutes, IIRC, is $35 (not the new collection of Institutes in several editions). Do you want the letters ($70) and the tracts & treatises ($100)? I'm not at enraptured with all the biographies and history of Calvinism, but right now they are gravy when you start running the numbers.

So, you can get the essential Calvin for $165, and for a little more have more Calvin that you will ever get to, but you never know what may come in handy.

Bill

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:20 AM

Bill,

Thanks for your response; this is great information, you have given me much to consider because I probably would not use everything today. Like you said, you never know what may come in handy.

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:31 AM

If you are debating on getting the commentary or not: Absolutely! It is a classic and still incredibly useful. There is rarely a passage I study where I don't go to Calvin's Commentaries and benefit from his insight. You should definitely get the commentaries!

You'd also benefit from Calvin's Institutes. An incredibly good (for the most part) and helpful systematic theology. But you can get that separately outside of the Calvin 500: http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/cicr Or if you wanted one of the versions included in Calvin 500: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5152

As for the other materials in the Calvin 500, I'm opting not to do it because I don't see those extra materials as incredibly useful to me. I'd love to have them but not as much as some other things coming down the prepub pipe. If they interest you, you won't go wrong, as it is an incredible deal. 

But I would at the very least encourage you to get the commentaries: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5161

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:45 AM

Ken Avery:

Bill,

Thanks for your response; this is great information, you have given me much to consider because I probably would not use everything today. Like you said, you never know what may come in handy.

Hi Ken. You're welcome. One caveat: I just discovered that the ebook of Beveridge's translation of the Institutes is standard with most of the Logos base packages, so essentially the issue is whether to get the Commentaries alone for $130 or pony up the rest for works that you may or may not use. These pre-pub prices are great things, but they make for difficult decisions at times. Hmm

Bill

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 10:20 AM

Ok,

No that you all brought it to my attention that the collection could be bought individually, I added it up:

1. Institutes: 100 (pre-pub)
  2. Commentaries: 130 (pre-pub)
  3. Letters: 140
  4. Tracts: 170
  5. Biography: 100 (pre-pub)
  6. History: 250

$890 total purchasing individually today (with the pre-pub prices)

WOW - this makes it even more dificult Hmm

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 10:26 AM

I pulled the trigger at $380 - based on the individual prices, as a package, we get a great discount on the ones that are not pre-pub (this is assuming that complete package price is going to be $1000 soon).

The bad news is I now owe my wife BIG TIME Tongue Tied

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 11:03 AM

Ken Avery:

I pulled the trigger at $380 - based on the individual prices, as a package, we get a great discount on the ones that are not pre-pub (this is assuming that complete package price is going to be $1000 soon).

The bad news is I now owe my wife BIG TIME Tongue Tied

Enjoy! I'm a bit jealous

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2481
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 2:52 PM

It just went live and the Logos price is now $999.  Buying the prepub saved me $600.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 4:00 PM

RonaldQuick:

It just went live and the Logos price is now $999.  Buying the prepub saved me $600.

I'm glad I got in on the early pre-pub, too. I noticed recently that I did not have pre-pubs checked to be included on my Logos 4 home page, and I missed the announcement of a few that I'm afraid may have gone up before I discovered them.

Bill

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 4:05 PM

I see that Calvin's Commentaries can be ordered by themselves now for $399.95. It's hard to imagine that will be a hot item at that price.

Bill

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS