Mind Mapping program integration

Page 4 of 6 (117 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 116 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 3:59 PM

Steve,

I am thrilled to find another Mind Manager user. As Jim said, I would be most appreciative of receiving your MM files in either MM format, preferably or even pdf format,

Your work could provide a base for me to build on, where needed, and save me a lot of time and effort in developing that which you already have,

I don't know how you would know what email address to send them to as I have not done it in the Forum. Is there a way for us to exchange email addresses without publishing it to the Forum World?'

Thanks,

Bi

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2011 9:36 AM

I personally would like them to add a mind mapping functionality to Logos 4. I would like to limit the number of different software program I use and would love to see it integrated directly into Logos with the ability to link directly to resources/notes/etc. I would also like the ability to share them similiar to what they do with reading list.

If you agree go to the following link and vote for ir. let's see if we can get this high on their list of things to do!Big Smile

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/1427279-add-the-ability-to-create-mind-maps-in-logos-4?ref=title

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:59 AM

Were up to 4 votes now. Who else would like to see the ability to create mind maps inside Logos?

Posts 66
David Beard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 8:22 AM

I agree, even if we could just download a graphic into Notes (like a JPEG file). This is the 1st time I have viewed this thread. Here is my take on this topic as a High School teacher.  Some of the "mind maps" in this thread are pretty complicated.  I have been trained by a company called "Thinking Maps" that is fairly small.  They use a simpler process that involve 8 basic cognitive processes tied to only 8 different graphic organizers that help students learn.  I have been using these thinking maps in my World History and Amer. Govt. classes, and they have been extremely helpful in getting the students to process information in these very "content-oriented" subject areas.  It is important to be able to teach all types of students from advanced to novice about the Bible. Personally I have been using these thinking maps in my own personal biblical studies. The following is an example of a Comparison and Contrast (one of the 8 basic cognitive processes) Thinking Map.. The pinkish text shows how John the Baptist and Jesus are similar, and the the text attached to each individual shows differences. The text in green highlight shows how to get a student into Level 2 or even Level 3 thinking...DAB 

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:04 AM

Stephen Weasler:

I personally would like them to add a mind mapping functionality to Logos 4. I would like to limit the number of different software program I use and would love to see it integrated directly into Logos with the ability to link directly to resources/notes/etc. I would also like the ability to share them similiar to what they do with reading list.

If you agree go to the following link and vote for ir. let's see if we can get this high on their list of things to do!Big Smile

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/1427279-add-the-ability-to-create-mind-maps-in-logos-4?ref=title

Were up to 115th now!. Let's keep it going

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 4:37 PM

Yes, Mind Manager is what I use too from time to time. Since most people, according to the research and class I have had indicates most North Americans learn visually and retrieve information from their brain visually, it makes eminent sense to utilize this graphical tool to teach spiritual truths and lessons.

So, I too, support the ability to have mind mapping functionality in Logos 4.

I also support all the graphics, like maps, etc. Logos is adding to the Library!

Thanks for bringing this up Stephen.   Bill

Posts 92
Chris Lohroff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:52 PM

seaview:

Yes, Mind Manager is what I use too from time to time. Since most people, according to the research and class I have had indicates most North Americans learn visually and retrieve information from their brain visually, it makes eminent sense to utilize this graphical tool to teach spiritual truths and lessons.

I also support all the graphics, like maps, etc. Logos is adding to the Library!

I'm also an avid mind manager user.

If we push for this mind mapping functionality aren't we likely to end up with something far inferior than we get with an application whose sole purpose is mind mapping?  And it would be at the cost of development cycles that could have instead been focused on doing the Logos does best... Bible apps.  I'm typically not a fan of a one program to rule them all approach.  However convince me how this would be a good thing and I'll avidly support it.

Posts 33841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 6:50 PM

Chris Lohroff:
And it would be at the cost of development cycles that could have instead been focused on doing the Logos does best... Bible apps. 

I see several of the visual tools as part of a basic Bible app in the same sense that the sentence diagrams are. I will admit that the Logos sentence diagramer is not as strong as some specialized software - it is up to the users to determine if it is sufficient. My personal first choice would be the ability to integrate diagram tools that use XML into Logos through the XML. My second choice would be to copy the diagrams into Logos notes - and have the text automatically indexed for searches. My third choice would be to copy the diagrams into notes or the sentence diagramer and manually enter search fields.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 7:07 PM

Chris Lohroff:

seaview:

I'm also an avid mind manager user.

If we push for this mind mapping functionality aren't we likely to end up with something far inferior than we get with an application whose sole purpose is mind mapping?  And it would be at the cost of development cycles that could have instead been focused on doing the Logos does best... Bible apps.  I'm typically not a fan of a one program to rule them all approach.  However convince me how this would be a good thing and I'll avidly support it.

Chris, while you may use the functionality of Mind Manager many of us don't/wouldn't use all of those capabilities. While the Logos version probably wouldn't be as robust I don't want to shell out a couple hundred more bucks for another program. The only thing I use mind mapping software for is sermon/lesson prep I would like it already inside the bible study software I already use. I would like to be able to reference them the same as notes and have it integrated with the resources in logos. I don't want to have to copy and paste and create links between the 2 programs. 

If you would require addition functionality that Mind Manager gives you then by all means use it but for me I don't need it. I would prefer to have it integrated into logos.

God Bless

StephenSmile

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 8:24 PM

I just started using MindNode for Mac (free) and I really like it.  Mind mapping really seems to help a non-linear thinker like myself get my study notes, sermon points, teaching concepts down, and convert it to a teachable, preachable format.  I never show the Mind Map w/ the congregation, as it would probably just confuse them... but it truly seems to help me get my thoughts to a linear presentable sermon.  

That being said... I would LOVE it if Logos found a way to interweave something like this into their software.  That would be amazing!!

Here is a same of my mind map for last Sunday's sermon on Jonah 4.1-4: http://www.portagechurch.org/jonah4mindmap.pdf

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 5:41 AM

Bob, I just started using MindNode myself (I like the price Wink free!) If you would like to see it included in Logos go to the like below and vote for it!!!

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 6:54 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Steven Kaminski:
(I don't think there were any ladies on this thread):

Yes, there is: MJ.  And even if they don't post, they may read!  Geeked

Yes, they [we] do, thank you Dan! Smile

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 372
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:43 PM

Philip Spitzer:
what advantage do other programs have over whats available for free?

Another free mapping application is called VUE being developed at Tufts University.  Below is a video about using VUE as a presentation tool.  I have not tried it but the presentation capabilities look pretty nifty.  VUE seems to be actively being developed.

http://vue.tufts.edu/gallery/presentation.cfm

Posts 33841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 2:19 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Steven Kaminski:
(I don't think there were any ladies on this thread):

Yes, there is: MJ.  And even if they don't post, they may read!  Geeked

Yes, I've been of the female persuasion  since day 1.Cool

I use Inspiration for mind maps partially because I can label the connecting lines. That permits me to use it for argument maps etc. as well. However, there is a type of "outlining" (Warnier-Orr) that it does not support which I also really like to use.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 681
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 2:37 PM

Stephen Weasler:

What exactly do you have in mind? From your comment I gather you would like to have a mind-map format for notes?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 7
Jesse Vaught | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 3:30 PM

I don't think it makes sense to have the Logos team spend time on something that is already well done in other programs.  I am an avid mind mapper having used hand drawn techniques, Compendium, and now Mindmanager since version 7.  There are many other mind mapping packages out there and they all have different strengths.  By definition, mindmapping is very unique to the user and the situation.

The best implementation, IMHO, would be a way to integrate between Logos and various mind mapping programs.  For instance, the ability to import mind maps into Logos to be indexed and have the scripture all tagged would be great.  A logos toolbar to install in the mind mapping s/w would be very handy also.  Something that would automatically convert all scripture references (like RefTagger, or the old macro's that were floating around for Word 2000 by Andrew Mckenzie: LDLS_Word2000_XP.dot, anybody figured out how to use that in word 2007?).

A solution like this (importing, indexing, and toolbars) has more potential to help a wider variety of users using a wider variety of 3rd party tools.  In addition, this would seem to be a smaller endeavour technically and thus more likely to happen, without detracting from the main thing, Bible software. 

Ask for this instead and it's possible it will also create more momentum for the similarly requested features for MS Word (converting scriptures to hyperlinks, popups, and/or full quotes, and other toolbar buttons).

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 3:43 PM

This is an interesting thread, but most of the "maps" I've seen here strike me as being themselves rather confusing. I use L3 notes to do basically what everyone here is doing with other programs. The "maps" I create in L3 have the advantage over the stuff I see in this thread because my note maps are RIGHT IN MY BIBLE. I suppose there are things L3 doesn't do, but I don't really think about it since I am able to do nearly all I want...with a couple of exceptions. I STILL WISH I COULD CREATE SCROLLABLE POP-UP NOTES IN L3...but I don't see that happening.

But who knows, at some point I may decide this kind of software can help, and there's lots of good info here to consider. Thanks for the input, everyone.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 33841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 9:57 PM

David Paul:
This is an interesting thread, but most of the "maps" I've seen here strike me as being themselves rather confusing.

That's a common reaction. It's a matter of finding the format that best fits the way you think - and then learning to read the form. Remember that school spent time teaching  you to read pie charts, bar graphs, outlines, sentence diagrams ... a younger generation is learning mind maps, tree diagrams, graphic organizers, fishbones ...At the very least Logos needs to support the  various ways that high school and college freshman study course teach the students to take notes. (IMHO, of course)

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:29 PM

I have been using Inspiration and Mindjet for a very long time.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I preach using a Kindle, so I do my thinking, research and outline in the Mindjet or Inspiration, then convert them to MS Word. (I don't know how well the free programs work, but both of these do a great job) One advantage Mindjet has is you can set MS Word styles for the conversion, so your word document is formatted correctly when you make the conversion,  In case you haven't looked at it, www.journeyed.com is an educational software supplier that carries both programs, with a hugh discount.

Once you really start using a mind mapping program, you will get addicted to it and begin using it for more and more reasons.  Good Luck!

Posts 681
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:23 PM

Jesse Vaught:

- the ability to import mind maps into Logos to be indexed and have the scripture all tagged would be great. 
- A logos toolbar to install in the mind mapping s/w would be very handy also.
- Something that would automatically convert all scripture references (like RefTagger,...).

These sound good to me.

I'd like to have an ability to create a link in MindManager, or Word for that matter, that takes me directly to a location in a resource in Logos 4. In other words, the ability to bypass Logos notes and clippings but have the same linking capability from an external program.

I'd also like to be able to create a bibliography and connect to it through an external program. Right now I use Favorites as a way to build a bibliography for a topic. I'm suggesting being able to link a favorites folder to an external program (in my case Mind Manager) such that the folder contents would show up in the external program and would change as it is changed inside Logos. Plus each entry in the external program would be a link to that resource inside Logos. (It would be ok if there was a "refresh" macro in the external program instead of automatic dynamic update of the contents.)

Have a great day,
jmac

Page 4 of 6 (117 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS