Way off topic...way over excited!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 26 2010 3:15 PM

I am doing one of those monster (ok not literally) computer builds...the hard drive will be 1tb...I am planning on partiioning the hd...would L4 run decently on a 250 gig partition in the C: drive, or could I make that partition smaller?  Yes the hd is sata and is 7200...The computer will have a I-7 920 processor, 6 gig of ram and a 1 gb ddr5 video card....thanks in advance for suggestions!

blessings,

danp

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 3:18 PM

Dan Pogue:
could I make that partition smaller

That's more room than lots of folks with older laptops have on their whole HD.

Anyway my Platinum Edition with my extras takes up about 20GB. Leaving another 20 for growth and operation and you are still WAY under 100 GB.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2769
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 3:51 PM

lead me not into temptation...

am happy for you Ick!

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 67
Michael Thebert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 6:58 PM

Would it help to add one of those new solid state Hard Drives for Logos4?  Maybe someone here would know.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:13 PM

I don't know about Logos 4 on it  I am sure it would be pretty good.  I have heard the best thing to do with the SSD's is to put the operating system on it and allow the 7200 SATA Drive be where the L4 is.  This is what a salesman was saying anyway.

Posts 19689
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:18 PM

Dan Pogue:

I am doing one of those monster (ok not literally) computer builds...the hard drive will be 1tb...

I've had a 1TB drive for a couple of years now, but I wish it were bigger. It is set up with mirroring for robustness, so I only actually have 500GB available, and of that only 330GB free. I feel cramped... Wink

Posts 60
Edwin Kwok | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:23 PM

Michael Thebert:

Would it help to add one of those new solid state Hard Drives for Logos4?  Maybe someone here would know.

Oh yes! Put both the operating system and L4 on it.

I now have a 256Gb SSD in my Macbook Pro 2.4GigHz. Even when L4 is indexing, there is no slowing down of the performance of the computer whatsoever. The whole indexing length of time is only about 30% of what it was when I had a 7200rpm HDD in it.

Don't want this information to become a temptation to anyone to spend beyond their means though. Remember to think through what are the best way to use the resources that God provides us with.

Edwin

Posts 60
Edwin Kwok | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:26 PM

Rosie Perera:

I've had a 1TB drive for a couple of years now, but I wish it were bigger. It is set up with mirroring for robustness, so I only actually have 500GB available, and of that only 330GB free. I feel cramped... Wink

That's a strange move. Any hardware failure of the HDD will kill both partitions (even though they are mirrored, you don't get any more robustness if they are on the same HDD), unless you mean it is TWO HDD's.

Edwin

Posts 1757
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:26 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but how will creating a separate partition help Logos perform better?

Seems to me that having 2 physical 500GB drives (one for Windows and general software, one for the data) would give better performance. And in the end, I always find lots of little partitions to be a frustrating way to go, as something always crops up that you didn't foresee.

Likewise, Rosie, I would have thought that 2 physical mirrored drives would be much safer than two mirrored partitions on the one drive.

Not trying to be difficult, and AFAIK, you can't put Logos 4 on the 'software' drive and the resources on the data drive the way we did in version 3.

Posts 116
Matt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:52 PM

These days, there's not really a good reason to partition a drive unless you're planning on running different OSs on various partitions (although vendors of disk partitioning software will say there are performance gains, I don't see it in the real world).

Logos 4's performance issues aren't really related to I/O or even CPU boundedness.  Through observing the program, it's quite apparent there's deadlock problems with it.  Our product's UI used to have the same problem until someone got in and optimized it.  I'm hoping that Logos will do the same with Logos 4 (sooner than later).

On my system, I'm able to edit AVCHD video natively in real-time within Premiere Pro CS4, yet Logos 4 still hangs (i.e. the 'Not Responding' message in the title bar) quite often.

Matt

Specs:

• Windows 7 x64
  • Quad Xeon 2.83 GHz x2
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia 285 GTX 1GB VRAM
  • Logos 4.1 Platinum, SR-3, indexed
    Posts 60
    Edwin Kwok | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 8:04 PM

Allen Browne:

Excuse my ignorance, but how will creating a separate partition help Logos perform better?

According to some, if you partition a relatively small partition and then a larger partition, the smaller one will be located on the outer circumference of the HDD platters and it is the fastest performing part of a HDD (the faster linear speed is due to geometry). And so by putting the operating system and L4 on that partition, you will utilize the faster part for them.

Edwin

Posts 19689
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 8:15 PM

EdwinKwok:

Rosie Perera:

That's a strange move. Any hardware failure of the HDD will kill both partitions (even though they are mirrored, you don't get any more robustness if they are on the same HDD), unless you mean it is TWO HDD's.

Allen Browne:

Likewise, Rosie, I would have thought that 2 physical mirrored drives would be much safer than two mirrored partitions on the one drive.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. It is actually two physical HDDs. 1TB of space, but mirrored so only 500GB is available for storage. I will get two 1TB drives and mirror them the next time I upgrade to a new machine. Not that having 330GB free space is really a problem...  I just like to have room to grow. I fill up 2GB every time I dump a full memory card from my camera onto my HD, and I'm doing that more and more often these days. Plus once I edit these photos in Photoshop, some of them grow to 300 or 400MB. And I'm beginning to get into movie editing, too. So I can fill up space pretty fast.

CORRECTION: I was right the first time but also partially wrong in a different way. I have two physical HDDs which are each 1TB. So I had 1TB of space to begin with, but I've already used up 670GB of it, which explains better why I feel cramped already. I like having at least half my hard disk space still available to feel like I've got room to grow. So next time I will get two 2 TB drives and mirror them. (Boy, my memory is foggy; my human memory, that is. Wink)

Posts 9552
    Forum MVP
    Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2010 8:19 PM

Rosie Perera:
    of that only 330GB free

Great. You feel cramped with more space than I have total on my HD. Shame on you Rosie. Angry

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 196
    Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 4:49 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone!  I mainly wanted seperate partitions for media (music and movies) and another for games.  I have a tendency to install then uninstall games/movies and want to keep these off of the C:drive...in the future if I keep the C: drive small I will be able to restore without having to reinstall all the programs...sounds somewhat crazy but with the years of installing/uninstalling and replatforming I am just looking for an easier way to go and I have had issues when I have uninstalled games from the C: drive.

blessings,

danp

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS