Why I hate working with the #&@%% dropdown entity list

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33860
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 10 2016 9:47 PM

I try to add a Community Tag to a simple Babylonian Talmud reference:

I see a Logos Jerusalem Talmud (incorrectly not capitalized) but no Logos Babylonian Talmud ... only a Freebase Babylonian Talmud.

So by previous experience I go to Factbook to see the Babylonian Talmud entry and get

What reasonable thought process is supposed to lead me to know that when Logos says Talmud maybe they mean "Babylonian Talmud" 'cuz when they say "Jerusalem Talmud" they probably don't mean "Babylonian"???

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2016 11:11 PM

MJ, shame on you.  Watch your language!  Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1991
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2016 11:24 PM

George Somsel:

MJ's title is written in ancient Babylonian's font.. You need to upgrade your language font pack. 

Embarrassed

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2016 11:36 PM

mike:
MJ's title is written in ancient Babylonian's font.. You need to upgrade your language font pack.

Speaking of language packs, does Logos still offer Shibboleth?  I'm having trouble installing fonts and keyboards on my new Windows 10 machine.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2016 11:41 PM

George Somsel:
Speaking of language packs, does Logos still offer Shibboleth?

Blog => https://blog.logos.com/2011/03/new_shibboleth_update/ includes Shibboleth link.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2016 11:55 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Thanks KS4.  I now have Shibboleth, but I still don't have the fonts I need.  I was hoping they would be installed with the program.  I'm really tempted to get rid of Windows 10 and install Windows 7.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 33860
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 12:16 AM

George Somsel:

It's code:  pound and apiece percent percent ... just take the 4th, 11th, 18th and 23rd letters  Angel

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 1:26 AM

MJ. Smith:
It's code:  pound and apiece percent percent ... just take the 4th, 11th, 18th and 23rd letters  Angel

OK, MJ.  We'll believe anything you say.  Wink  Wink  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 1:26 AM

MJ. Smith:
What reasonable thought process is supposed to lead me to know that when Logos says Talmud maybe they mean "Babylonian Talmud" 'cuz when they say "Jerusalem Talmud" they probably don't mean "Babylonian"???

The problem is that the data is sourced from the Bible dictionaries, and the dictionaries don't have separate entries for the two talmuds. So "talmud" refers to both talmuds in almost every dictionary. There's an entry for "Jerusalem Talmud" because one Bible dictionary (New Interpreters) has an entry for that. There's no entry for "Babylonian Talmud" because no dictionary has an entry for that (not even New Interpreters).

All of which is to say that the fault mostly lies with the Bible dictionaries, and specifically with New Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible, who are the only ones who decided that and entry on "Talmud" should refer only to the Babylonian Talmud.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 7:23 AM

George Somsel:
Speaking of language packs, does Logos still offer Shibboleth?  I'm having trouble installing fonts and keyboards on my new Windows 10 machine.

I had trouble as well George, I installed the Logos keyboard kits for my languages though, and finally got it working.

Is there a specific stopping point?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 7:30 AM

TCBlack:

George Somsel:

I had trouble as well George, I installed the Logos keyboard kits for my languages though, and finally got it working.

Is there a specific stopping point?

Yes, at the very beginning.  There is no "install" command on right-click for fonts and copying and pasting doesn't work, also "extract to" gives me the message that the path I designate (to Window\fonts) does not exist.  When I try to install the keyboards by the old method, they simply don't install — nothing happens.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 8:06 AM

Hmm...OK.  This is what I did outside of the Logos installers then...

1. Click Start and type "Language"
  2. Choose Language Control panel.
  3. At the top click "Add a language"
  4. Locate your language and double click.  If there are options it will open them in a second panel.  Double click the one you want. 
  5. When you return to the main language control panel screen, click OPTIONS next to your new language
  6. The options panel permits you to download a windows display pack (probably not needed, unless you want windows to think you're Greek and display everything in Greek.
  7. The options panel also permits you to install an input method (keyboard). Click that and find a keyboard you prefer.  Clicking it and then clicking ADD should set you up.

Restart your computer to make sure everything has a chance to set up.  

I can try to help further if you need.  Email me at tcblack stilltruth.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 8:10 AM

George Somsel:
There is no "install" command on right-click for fonts and copying and pasting doesn't work

Installing Fonts in Windows 10 is something I've not done.  The following article gives steps for doing so though:

http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-install-remove-show-hide-fonts/ 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 8:59 AM

TCBlack:

George Somsel:
There is no "install" command on right-click for fonts and copying and pasting doesn't work

Installing Fonts in Windows 10 is something I've not done.  The following article gives steps for doing so though:

http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-install-remove-show-hide-fonts/ 

Thanks, that worked for installing fonts, but I still need to be able to install the keyboards.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 9:33 AM

I'm afraid (?) the keyboard installation worked for me George.  I'm not sure what to suggest.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS