Bible Study Magazine NEEDS to be available in Logos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 590
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 11 2016 10:46 AM

It's been a few days since I received the latest edition of the Bible Study Magazine in the mail. I try to read it within a few days of receiving it, but this edition is VERY DIFFICULT TO READ...the color combinations (words/background/footnotes) made it all but impossible to read any footnotes (in one instance a VERY light grey on a white background (at least that's the color it looked like to me)).

I know that it has mentioned many, many, many times to get BSM into Logos format and has also been answered many, many, many times that it is a magazine that is intended to help the non-computer reader do some Bible Study. (That is all well and good and I hope that they do find the information that they need). I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to read the magazine with it small fonts and color combinations because of the cataracts that are developing in my eyes. I know that others have voiced similar concerns over the past few years and other will probably repeat these same or similar complaints in the coming years, but something needs to change.

One possibility that I thought of was a "Large(r) Print" edition or dare I say, one that was just black and white.

There is too much good material in the magazine to just stop receiving it, however, I already strain my eyes to read what little that I can still read (and it takes me 3 or 4 times as long to read it). Please make it available in Logos so that we can change the font size to make it readable again!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 10:51 AM

It will never happen. They don't want it in Logos. It's a print ad for Logos and not intended for Logos users. They've answered by their failure to give people exactly what they want.

One of the top voted items in User Voice (#8 on list)

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/2306384-create-a-digital-copy-of-bible-study-magazine

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 11:32 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

It will never happen. They don't want it in Logos. It's a print ad for Logos and not intended for Logos users. They've answered by their failure to give people exactly what they want.

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/2306384-create-a-digital-copy-of-bible-study-magazine

That's pretty scathing, but when I thought about it, I think you're completely right.  I might subscribe if available digital, but the fact that it has been asked about for years and Logos (Bob) not doing it, seems a very clearly "read between the lines".   A print ad is just what it is.

Posts 590
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 12:15 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Kevin, I'm afraid that you are correct. I stand by my request to at least increase the font size (large print edition). After I have the cataracts removed, it might be better, but that is still probably a year or two in the future. I guess that I can archive them and then read them after surgery.

Posts 424
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 2:49 PM

I don't agree.  I find most of the articles of interest and it's nice to have the paper format for reading during my lunch break at work. I pass it on to other people when I am done with it.

Last quarter, I got Bock's NT211 mobile ed course for $99 with the code in BSM plus significant savings on several other resources.  

Posts 78
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 3:34 PM

Hi

I stopped reading it several years ago for the same graphic (fad) reasons. 

Read this.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/low-contrast/

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 5:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback. As someone who just recently bought their first pair of reading glasses, I share your concern about font size and contrast. I will continue my advocacy for bigger text and higher contrast in our design work! Smile

We don't have plans to create a digital edition of BSM at this time.

We do publish some of the content online at http://biblestudymagazine.com/ -- and have been making more available than in the past.

We also have at times collected back issue content into e-book titles; at https://www.logos.com/product/47601/bible-study-magazine-book-bundle you'll find a lot of it.

At this point, it's easier to do this in a big batch for a single price than to do it with each issue and have to update the resource while also working on the magazine. That might change in the future, and I suppose we could make an e-book per year that gets continually updated, but for now we are focusing on doing the best job we can in print, where we use BSM to reach a different audience.

I'm glad you like it, and we'll take this as a reminder to make readability a priority!

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 11:43 PM

I live in Malaysia, and it is so useful to have it in a print edition. It gets very well circulated, and when I was in Tokyo recently I saw it being widely used in the church there. 

Posts 170
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 12:33 AM

Print edition is nice, and very useful to share with others. But for me the postage costs are more than the magazine costs - postage is $22.95, and following the link to the website Bob gave there is a 50% discount on the magazine to $14.95. So the magazine cost would be $37.90 to me here in the UK.

Several other monthly Christian magazines are available optionally online - even just in simple PDF format. For overseas folks that saves  postage costs (and is "greener" on the environment than chopping down a tree and flying it several times a month around the world).

Jim

Posts 5025
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 1:09 AM

The problem with this book bundle is that as subscribers to the magazine we have already paid for these articles and then a few years later when you can be bothered to compile them as e-books you charge us for them a second time. No wonder you don't want to do an electronic version, you won't be able to double dip into your customers wallets. 

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 2:01 AM

On the other hand, the bundle is a good way of getting some content for nonsubscribers.

It's on my wishlist now; I'm waiting for a sale.......

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 590
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 6:44 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Thanks for the feedback. As someone who just recently bought their first pair of reading glasses, I share your concern about font size and contrast. I will continue my advocacy for bigger text and higher contrast in our design work! Smile

We don't have plans to create a digital edition of BSM at this time.

We do publish some of the content online at http://biblestudymagazine.com/ -- and have been making more available than in the past.

We also have at times collected back issue content into e-book titles; at https://www.logos.com/product/47601/bible-study-magazine-book-bundle you'll find a lot of it.

At this point, it's easier to do this in a big batch for a single price than to do it with each issue and have to update the resource while also working on the magazine. That might change in the future, and I suppose we could make an e-book per year that gets continually updated, but for now we are focusing on doing the best job we can in print, where we use BSM to reach a different audience.

I'm glad you like it, and we'll take this as a reminder to make readability a priority!

Thank you Bob. The font size and contrast were my main "complaint." Like others have mentioned that there is definite value in the print edition, especially if we are sharing it with others. Thank you again for listening

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 7:07 AM

Jan Krohn:

On the other hand, the bundle is a good way of getting some content for nonsubscribers.

It's on my wishlist now; I'm waiting for a sale.......

It was $5/yr on Black Friday's sale last year...

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 8:13 AM

Bob,

As an advocate for the visually impaired (being a card-carrying member of that tribe, myself), let me see if I can reinforce a couple of points without my habitual "angry young prophet" voice (since I'm neither angry nor young anymore, propriety should be served).

1.  The target market for BSM is, obviously, potential new customers for Logos, and NONE of us oppose a larger customer base, greater ministry opportunity, or larger profits for the company.  However, you (and FaithLife/Logos IS you, Bob) can have your cake and eat it too (euphemistically, at any rate) by serving your existing customer base at the same time as publishing a marketing tool for the potential customer.  Since the magazine is created digitally, then converted to paper and ink, it is certain that the cost of publishing it for Logos customers is a money maker as well as a ministry opportunity that is kinda squandered currently.  As a top User Voice request, it is equally obvious that many, many of your current customers would buy it if it were a Logos resource, thereby reducing overall production costs per issue and enlarging the company's ability to reach an even larger audience with the gospel of Logos (pun!) via pdf mass emailings, free print issues in every waiting room with open magazine space, etc, etc. 

2.  Allow me to enthusiastically encourage the brave pioneering effort of both publishing some content online and making omnibus compilations available for purchase.  Treating BSM like a journal is savvy and I'm hopeful that it will be a valuable addition to many customer's libraries.  I further encourage you to make current content available in the same formats.

3.  "At this point, it's easier to do this in a big batch for a single price than to do it with each issue and have to update the resource while also working on the magazine."  It is probably just the turn of phrase that strikes me as insensitive.  We are your customers, and are rarely sympathetic to what is easy for the company to produce.  We, after all, do not find it easy nor convenient to support your company (I hope that isn't too shocking for you, dear reader). And, frankly, the assertion that your focus is on doing the best possible job in print somehow is a roadblock to providing BSM in digital format makes me want to giggle.  If anyone believes that, it is because they have not analyzed the process of creating a publication digitally, converting it to print media, and delivering it globally Vs. creating it digitally AND delivering it digitally as well as printing/shipping it. 

I have enjoyed the free BSM issues that I have received over the past year or so.... with my magnifying glass.  But, I reiterate, that I will not subscribe to it until/unless it is made available in my Logos Bible Software.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 9:22 AM

If we did make it available as a monthly digital subscription, would you prefer:

- an online PDF version that you could page through in a web browser, which might or might not have active hyperlinks / be full-text searchable.

- a full text edition in Logos format, which would be less visually interesting but wouldn't have ads.

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 9:36 AM

PDF. Then it's available even if I don't have Logos open.

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 9:58 AM

Bob Pritchett:
- a full text edition in Logos format, which would be less visually interesting but wouldn't have ads.

My preferred option.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1836
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 10:05 AM

A full text edition.  

Posts 184
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 11:51 AM

Why not offer both options (for more customers and thus maximum cash income)

But it would be Full Text Logos Edition for me too. Thanks.

Posts 27685
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 12:09 PM

David Housholder:
PDF. Then it's available even if I don't have Logos open.

For clarification: You would rather have a PDF version at the expense of being able to read, highlight, search within Logos? I don't get that at all. 

I don't get why anyone would want a PDF version... and it isn't in FL's interests to create one (PDF's would be too easy to pass around). On the other hand... 

I have a little bit of a background in publication design. I absolutely LOVE ebooks for so many reasons... but they are ugly. I do appreciate good design... but PDFs aren't very versatile. It would be much better to use some other digital format, perhaps in the form of an app. 

My order of preference: 

1. Logos (or Vyrso) edition.
  2. A dynamic digital format, perhaps as an "app" (looks good, is interactive, adjusts to different devices [iPhone vs. iPad vs. MacBook])
  3. Print copy
  4. PDF. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS