Bible Study Magazine NEEDS to be available in Logos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 591
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 12:58 PM

Bob Pritchett:

If we did make it available as a monthly digital subscription, would you prefer:

- an online PDF version that you could page through in a web browser, which might or might not have active hyperlinks / be full-text searchable.

- a full text edition in Logos format, which would be less visually interesting but wouldn't have ads.

My preference would be a full text edition in Logos format.

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 1:27 PM

Honestly, half of the attraction for me is the voucher code offers. For the content, Logos would be my preferred format, but even just being able to access the articles/content by logging into the website would be good for me - it would mean I could avoid paying for international shipping, which is my biggest gripe.

Posts 5159
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 2:22 PM

alabama24:

David Housholder:
PDF. Then it's available even if I don't have Logos open.

For clarification: You would rather have a PDF version at the expense of being able to read, highlight, search within Logos? I don't get that at all. 

I don't get why anyone would want a PDF version... and it isn't in FL's interests to create one (PDF's would be too easy to pass around). On the other hand... 

I have a little bit of a background in publication design. I absolutely LOVE ebooks for so many reasons... but they are ugly. I do appreciate good design... but PDFs aren't very versatile. It would be much better to use some other digital format, perhaps in the form of an app. 

My order of preference: 

1. Logos (or Vyrso) edition.
  2. A dynamic digital format, perhaps as an "app" (looks good, is interactive, adjusts to different devices [iPhone vs. iPad vs. MacBook])
  3. Print copy
  4. PDF. 

From what is said here you could only access the PDF version online through a web browser so you would need to have internet access and be signed into an account.  It does not indicate we would be able to download the pdf file which if is the case would make this option even more useless.

Bob Pritchett:

- an online PDF version that you could page through in a web browser, which might or might not have active hyperlinks / be full-text searchable.

My ony preference would be a Logos edition (not vyrso that would be almost as distasteful as a pdf unreliable links to scripture verses which is what Vyrso gives you would be very unwelcome).

I dont' need another app I already have enough of them and I dont' care for fancy visuals although I think that argument is a read herring.  Maybe the layout would be slightly different to a magazine format but no reason visuals could not be included in a Logos resource (Vyrso format again another story and another reason this platform would an undesirable option).

No ads - so what is being said here are things like the BSM deals classed as advertisments and so subscribers to digital would be excluded from these offers or is it a digital  + print only subscription offer so you have to wait for the snail mail for the print edition to arrive to get the offer codes ? Other than what is being offered by Logos Bible Software I dont' take any notice of the advertisments - as an international customer they are pretty much irrelevant to me in the majority of instances so if what is being talked about here is the stuff I dont' look at anyway, there is no problem, its only a question of the logos deals being included and once again i think its a Red Herring and an editorial refusal to not include them in a Logos edition - plenty of Logos resources include visuals.

I've had 'magazine' subscriptions in pdf format before and they become as underutilized a resource as do the print magazines. Having them available in Logos in searchable format where notes an highlights can be made and bible references looked up is the only option of any value.

Posts 557
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 4:07 PM

Bob, 

I think that it would be nice in Logos format. 

As for the ads you could put a link in the magazine that could take the reader to a special webpage that would includes that month's coupons and special offers. Smile    

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 4:28 PM

My vote would be for the full text edition in Logos format.

Michael 

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 7:10 PM

Ideally, I would prefer both formats, such as how Themelios is offered, however, if only one format is offered, I would select the Logos format.

Posts 2371
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 7:48 PM

(I'm just wondering why international shipping for 12 issues of Bible Study Magazine costs $22.95, but shipping of the Start Next Now book costs $47.25...)

Anyway, if the magazine were to be available within Logos (no matter whether Vyrso or Logos format, no matter whether with or without ads), for the same conditions as the print version, I'd subscribe instantly.

PDF has a few advantages, but Logos format has a lot more.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 27808
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 9:41 PM

Jan Krohn:
(I'm just wondering why international shipping for 12 issues of Bible Study Magazine costs $22.95, but shipping of the Start Next Now book costs $47.25...)

I don't know the answer, but I do know that there are special shipping rates in the states for different kinds of media. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3313
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:19 AM

I agree.  I really wish these were in logos as I usually have to scan them in and keep them digitally elsewhere which is a real pain and not helpful to go back and look at later.  But as most others heard, Logos has said BSM is mostly for advertising which is a shame.

They could really spice it up with digital videos in their magazine on how-to searches.  Usually near the end, they advertise how they found something in Logos.  For people like me who aren't the greatest at using the software, it is nice to see how pros do stuff and would be neat if they could make it available digitally.

Posts 67
Barron1961 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 10:56 AM

Bob Pritchett:
- a full text edition in Logos format, which would be less visually interesting but wouldn't have ads.

Since Logos or Verbum is the first program I open when I get on my laptop each day a full-text version for Logos is my preferred method of using the magazine. I actually like the ads in magazines because I often find things of interest to me that would be useful that I might otherwise have not found. However, I just don't have room in my little house for more magazines and books. That is why I prefer ebooks and magazines. I don't have to figure out where to store them. They are all right there on my Kindle or laptop; easy to find and easy to use.

Posts 300
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2016 7:52 AM

I also prefer the full text Logos version....that is what I have been asking for for years. If you want to send me the print version, fine...I can pass that around to others....as long as I have access to the full text Logos version.

Posts 1454
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2016 8:18 AM

alabama24:
A dynamic digital format, perhaps as an "app" (looks good, is interactive, adjusts to different devices [iPhone vs. iPad vs. MacBook])

For the electronic distribution, this kind of new product would be best.

A Facebook-type implementation would be good. I could select friends or groups and like/dislike/comment and so on.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 1:31 PM

As critical of this issue as I've been, I do appreciate getting two issues complimentary. In fact the issue on Ruth was very good. One article inspired my Sunday Night message on turning form despair to hope based on Naomi. Great little article and turned into an excellent sermon subject if not an excellent sermon. :-)

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 5:06 PM

Bob Pritchett:

If we did make it available as a monthly digital subscription, would you prefer:

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for interacting with us regarding this (and everything else you comment on). I personally would prefer a logos format but a close second is pdf. There are two reasons for me wanting this.  The first is plain and simple finance. I live in the UK and the P&P is more than the magazine cost.  The second is accessibility - it is easier to carry logos around with me than a magazine but also  I am Dyslexic . When my dyslexia is bad I can put different color filters on the screen (although more background colors inside logos would be even more convenient ;-) ), boost font size etc. and I can still read it. In logos I can also take notes which I can read back which strengthens the recall later (my STM and explicit memory is affected and notes really help to allow me to link conscious memories with the stuff I've read which goes into my implicit/deep memory) and linking back from notes to text is superb.  Logos is truly a Godsend for people like me because of the smart abilities you have included and it would be great to apply them to the BSM.

Thanks for all you have done Bob, for people like me you have opened up the bible in ways that are impossible without Logos

Dave

Posts 279
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2016 9:29 AM

The most important item in the issues of Bible Study Magazine that I have seen (which is not that many) are the graphics. Therefore, I would like a digital format that works best with copying graphics. This might be Logos with its "Visual Copy" but my experience with attempting to copy charts from Logos into Word and PowerPoint is not good.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 4:14 PM

Bob Pritchett:

If we did make it available as a monthly digital subscription, would you prefer:...

I'd prefer the "full text edition in Logos format, which would be less visually interesting but wouldn't have ads."

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 139
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 4:40 PM

1. Subscribe to BSM. 

2. Included on the subscription mailing sticker include a unique password for each subscriber.

3. Log on to LOGOS, go to BSM, enter the unique password and download the BSM.

4. Can't get the unique password without a subscription and the password changes after renewal.

5. Makes everyone happy.

Doer of Things

Logos 7 Bronze

13" MBA 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 RAM, 512 SSD

27" iMAC 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 RAM, 1TB SATA Disk

iPad Air 2, iPhone 6

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2016 7:28 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
The problem with this book bundle is that as subscribers to the magazine we have already paid for these articles and then a few years later when you can be bothered to compile them as e-books you charge us for them a second time.

this has frustrated me, too.

Disciple of Christ (doc):
No wonder you don't want to do an electronic version, you won't be able to double dip into your customers wallets. 

That is wayyy to snarky, don't ya think?  

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2016 12:15 AM

Rich:

1. Subscribe to BSM. 

2. Included on the subscription mailing sticker include a unique password for each subscriber.

3. Log on to LOGOS, go to BSM, enter the unique password and download the BSM.

4. Can't get the unique password without a subscription and the password changes after renewal.

5. Makes everyone happy.

Good idea,  they can even be password protected if they come in .pdf form 

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2016 12:28 AM

Wow, can't believe this is actually being thought about now. For years I've wanted it in Logos format, so yes please, Full Text Logos Edition please. I'd then renew my subs. (As a UK customer, the postage costing more than the subs means I only get it occasionally.)

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS