Logos 6 performace

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
M. G. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 11 2016 7:25 PM

I know this isn't the first thread on this but performance of Logos 6 is brutally slow.

I have been frustrated with this since I started using Logos.  Today I had the time between semesters to reinstall windows and freshen up my school machine.

I have a Dell Ultrabook 14z with 8 gigs of ram and an i7 processor with an extra SSD for performance.  

One of the first programs I installed was Logos 6.  I downloaded the library and let it index.  Just now it took five minutes to start. 

I still have the issues of every function I click having a long lag time.  I mean just opening the library takes a significant amount of time and then there is a lag in the search function.  

I really want this to work a little snappier and I have not even gotten into any advanced search uses or having multiple resources open.

can someone help?

Posts 1850
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2016 9:42 PM

Michael Greenwood:

I know this isn't the first thread on this but performance of Logos 6 is brutally slow.

I have been frustrated with this since I started using Logos.  Today I had the time between semesters to reinstall windows and freshen up my school machine.

I have a Dell Ultrabook 14z with 8 gigs of ram and an i7 processor with an extra SSD for performance.  

One of the first programs I installed was Logos 6.  I downloaded the library and let it index.  Just now it took five minutes to start. 

I still have the issues of every function I click having a long lag time.  I mean just opening the library takes a significant amount of time and then there is a lag in the search function.  

I really want this to work a little snappier and I have not even gotten into any advanced search uses or having multiple resources open.

can someone help?

Michael, sorry to hear about your performance issues. A few questions:

1. How old is your computer?
  2. Is Logos installed on the SSD?
  3. What percentage of the drive that Logos is installed on is free?
Posts 6
M. G. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 5:38 AM

Phil, 

The computer is about 2 years old.  I left the specs above.  i7, 8gigs of ram.  I would think this is more the adequate for Logos based on the requirements listed on the site.  This is a fresh install of windows with over 400 gigs of storage available.   

The SSD is a 30 gig system cache for improved performance.  

Posts 194
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2016 3:06 PM

The issue is the slow 5400rpm hard drive in that model and laptops in general.  If you want snappy performance, Logos needs to be installed on an SSD.

I find that Logos doesn't require much processing power or ram to run well.  It needs a lightning fast SSD.  So having an i7 processor and 8gb of ram isn't going to be enough to get your desired performance because they're not the bottleneck.

The 14z hard drive is user replaceable so you could swap that out with a large SSD. 

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:08 AM

Michael Greenwood:

Phil, 

The computer is about 2 years old.  I left the specs above.  i7, 8gigs of ram.  I would think this is more the adequate for Logos based on the requirements listed on the site.  This is a fresh install of windows with over 400 gigs of storage available.   

The SSD is a 30 gig system cache for improved performance.  

Hey Michael,

I hear you! I have used Logos since 1997 and have consistently been frustrated with its performance. I was so frustrated with Logos and Windows 10, that I did what I had wanted to do for a long time and that was to switch to Mac; which I did. I switched to a MAC with a SSD. They are right when they speak about the SSD being used for Logos, it does make a big difference; although, my last windows laptop was in similar specifications that you listed above and I never experienced the lag time that you are talking about ( and I had a 5400 RPM HD). So I think you may have something else going on there. I am assuming that you allowed the indexer to finish? 

It is very unfortunate that Logos requires so much expensive hardware to run properly (SSD HD being much more expensive then even a 7200RPM HD) and; in my opinion, Logos does not seem to be interested in fixing that issue. It is a shame because their competitors, do not require such robust hardware. Bibleworks does not require that kind of robust hardware (but I know, I know Logos and Bibleworks are not in the same camp). Accordance does not require such robust hardware and; in fact, there are some features on Accordance that I like better than Logos. Don't get me wrong, Logos is the BEST bible software you can buy, but they do need to repair their performance issues; because there are even some of those issues with an SSD. 

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:25 AM

I just used the feature in Accordance when you hover your mouse over the English or Greek word it instantly highlights the corresponding word in the other language. Talk about nice! No Clicking, just hover. Come on Logos, please incorporate this feature.  

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:31 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
I just used the feature in Accordance when you hover your mouse over the English or Greek word it instantly highlights the corresponding word in the other language

Not sure exactly what you mean - but I've just hovered my cursor over "Jesus" in John 5:1 and the corresponding word in NA28 is highlighted.

This uses the "Corresponding Words" Visual Filter available to Logos Now subscribers.

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 6:37 AM

Graham Criddle:

Pastor Michael Huffman:
I just used the feature in Accordance when you hover your mouse over the English or Greek word it instantly highlights the corresponding word in the other language

Not sure exactly what you mean - but I've just hovered my cursor over "Jesus" in John 5:1 and the corresponding word in NA28 is highlighted.

This uses the "Corresponding Words" Visual Filter available to Logos Now subscribers.

Hey Graham,

I would be very excited to know how to set that up. 

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 7:29 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:

As above - you need to be a Logos Now subscriber.

The feature is introduced and outlined at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/115628.aspx 

In this case all I did was to ensure that the Visual Filter was enabled on both resources - set to "hover" but you can have it set to "click" if you like.

As you can see you can choose whether to match on word, lemma, root....

Does this give you what you need?

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 7:38 AM

Graham Criddle:

Pastor Michael Huffman:

As above - you need to be a Logos Now subscriber.

The feature is introduced and outlined at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/115628.aspx 

In this case all I did was to ensure that the Visual Filter was enabled on both resources - set to "hover" but you can have it set to "click" if you like.

As you can see you can choose whether to match on word, lemma, root....

Does this give you what you need?

Is the highlight of the corresponding word instant or is there a hesitation? I am already a Loos Now subscriber. 

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 7:50 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
Is the highlight of the corresponding word instant or is there a hesitation?

Not always "instant" but certainly very quick - video showing some samples is at http://screencast.com/t/ykJeCkfuWPjW 

What do you get if you try this?

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 8:08 AM

Graham Criddle:

Pastor Michael Huffman:
Is the highlight of the corresponding word instant or is there a hesitation?

Not always "instant" but certainly very quick - video showing some samples is at http://screencast.com/t/ykJeCkfuWPjW 

What do you get if you try this?

Yes, thanks Graham. That seems to be what I am looking for. However, it does need to be more instant. 

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 8:14 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
However, it does need to be more instant. 

Realistically what are you looking for in terms of delay?

Most times it is refreshing in less than a second which seems plenty fast to me. So intrigued to understand moreSmile

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 8:23 AM

Graham Criddle:

Pastor Michael Huffman:
However, it does need to be more instant. 

Realistically what are you looking for in terms of delay?

Most times it is refreshing in less than a second which seems plenty fast to me. So intrigued to understand moreSmile

Just slower in comparison to the response time in Accordance Bible Software, for example. But I realize that probably the Microsoft platform that Logos is, for some reason determined to use, will not allow for it to be as fast as Accordance. 

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 8:27 AM

What sort of refresh times do you get? Interested to see how the Mac platform compares to Windows here.

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 8:49 AM

Graham Criddle:

What sort of refresh times do you get? Interested to see how the Mac platform compares to Windows here.

I will be interested to. I have not done it yet on my Mac (not at the study). I am was just comparing the video that you gave me in comparison to the response time in Accordance that I have used. Based on the video (and not sure of what platform that the video was using), it seems to be slower response time than Accordance. 

Posts 6
M. G. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 8:57 AM

So for clarity I have let the indexer finish.  My issue is that this isn't the first time I have complained and I have never been offered what I consider to be a real solution.  My computer minus the hard drive exceeds by far the requirements of this software.  I believe there is a problem, a real development problem.

Their requirements are:

Windows
  • Window 7 SP1
  • 2GB RAM
  • 1024x768 Displays)
  • 30GB Free Space - Internal HDD/SSD Only (may require additional space depending on your library)
  • Internet connection (for activation, updates, and some feature

These requirements are so low that for Logos to come back and say after the fact you need better hardware is bad business.  For the cost (well over a thousand dollars) I would expect that the software would perform and that concerns would be address.  I have installed in a three devices all with various hardware profiles, experience is the same. In this case this is a fresh install of a very decent machine with no other background processes.

I am guessing that if I drop $200 on an SSD it will improve the problem but it is probably only hiding the issue.  At a minimum they should have a disclaimer or change the minimum requirements. 

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 9:02 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
Based on the video (and not sure of what platform that the video was using

It was a Windows 10PC using an SSD

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 9:05 AM

Michael Greenwood:
I am guessing that if I drop $200 on an SSD it will improve the problem but it is probably only hiding the issue

Michael - apologies but I think the discussion I have been having with Michael Huffman in this thread wasn't really relevant to your original issue. 

Sorry for any "sidetracking"

Graham

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2016 9:39 AM

Michael Greenwood:

So for clarity I have let the indexer finish.  My issue is that this isn't the first time I have complained and I have never been offered what I consider to be a real solution.  My computer minus the hard drive exceeds by far the requirements of this software.  I believe there is a problem, a real development problem.

Their requirements are:

Windows
  • Window 7 SP1
  • 2GB RAM
  • 1024x768 Displays)
  • 30GB Free Space - Internal HDD/SSD Only (may require additional space depending on your library)
  • Internet connection (for activation, updates, and some feature

These requirements are so low that for Logos to come back and say after the fact you need better hardware is bad business.  For the cost (well over a thousand dollars) I would expect that the software would perform and that concerns would be address.  I have installed in a three devices all with various hardware profiles, experience is the same. In this case this is a fresh install of a very decent machine with no other background processes.

I am guessing that if I drop $200 on an SSD it will improve the problem but it is probably only hiding the issue.  At a minimum they should have a disclaimer or change the minimum requirements. 

I understand and there are many people, including me, that would complain that Logos has ignored the performance issue of the software. 

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS