TIP of the day: One way to find all the commentaries you own that cover Matthew - do you have a better way

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 32994
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 17 2016 1:44 AM

How does one identify all the commentaries you own that contain commentary on the Gospel according to Matthew?

1. For years I used type:("Bible commentary", "Bible notes") AND subject:Matthew which comes up with about 74 volumes in my collection ... but I knew I was missing a number of resources that cover several books.

2. So I tried to expand the subject section to something like type:("Bible commentary", "Bible notes")  AND subject:("Bible.N.T.Matthew--Commentaries", "Bible.N.T.Gospels--Commentaries", "Bible.N.T.--Commentaries", "Bible--Commentaries") which brings the count to 167 but it includes many false positives where my subject is further subdivided in the metadata.

3. I finally came to the conclusion that one cannot create a rule based solely on metadata that does something as "simple" as selecting all Matthew commentaries. So I limited a search to type:("Bible commentary","Bible Notes") and used the search argument {Milestone < ~ Matthew>}  which results in 191 resources ... and thus far I have found neither omissions nor false positives.

Unfortunately, I find no easy way to Save to a Collection (which would not be dynamic unfortunately. Nor do I find an easy way to do a mass assignment of a tag to these resources.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that a comprehensive list of the relevant commentaries is probably worth the effort only for the primary Gospels of each lectionary year.

4. The problem is even more interesting when it comes to monographs with significant commentary on Matthew.. My current "best" solution is to search on (type:monograph AND (subject:Matthew OR title:Matthew)) ANDNOT publisher:"Text Creation Partnership" with a search for references < ~ Matthew> and sort the results by counts ... obviously not a great rule but a start...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 1:53 AM

MJ. Smith:
How does one identify all the commentaries you own that contain commentary on the Gospel according to Matthew?

Check under the sofa?  Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26815
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 3:47 AM

MJ. Smith:
I finally came to the conclusion that one cannot create a rule based solely on metadata that does something as "simple" as selecting all Matthew commentaries.

Your {Milestone} search vs. the metadata search quickly showed that Matthew should not be in all 60 volumes of "Thru the Bible"! The problem is that each volume has a subject of "bible--commentaries".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 608
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 3:53 AM

Yes

Unfortuntely, the inability to save searches as well as the obtuse search language make the search function much less powerful and much harder than it could be. It was obviously written for and by programmers and not for users.

Posts 24911
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 4:29 AM

John Kaess:

the inability to save searches 

You can save searches in your Favorites

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 6:15 AM

And in case anyone isn't sure how to use this information, you can search WITHIN this milestone, for example, such as...

mystic WITHIN {Milestone < ~ Matthew>}

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 10:17 AM

John Kaess:
It was obviously written for and by programmers and not for users.

Exactly my complaint. And I'm a programmer.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2016 10:33 AM

MJ. Smith:

Living and learning.  Changed my "Bible.N.T. Matthew" collection rule to:

(Subject:(Bible.N.T.,Sermon) AND Subject:(Gospels,Matthew,Mount)) OR MyTag:Matthew61

Created collection "Entire Library without Bibles" with rule:

* -Type:Bible

Temporarily excluded two collections that have Matthew milestones:

Searching for Matthew Milestone finds many resources to consider adding Matthew61 tag.

Monograph "Among the Gospels and the Acts" has Matthew milestone; subject has "Bible.N.T.Acts-Study-Textbook" so metadata does not match "Bible.N.T. Matthew" without tag Matthew61

Also added MyTag to "Commentary 61 Matthew" collection rule:

Type:Commentary AND ((Subject:(Bible.N.T.,Sermon) AND Subject:(Matthew,Mount)) OR MyTag:Matthew61)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS