What Are Your Favorite / Most Useful Resources?

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 463
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 2:52 PM

Language & Word Study: Morph Search (Basically, do your own word study before consulting BDAG and HALOT)

Pastoral Care: Journal of Biblical Counseling and Journal of Modern Ministry I can't tell you how valuable these are for preaching.

Dictionaries: IVP Black Dictionaries

Commentaries: I tend to consult Carson and Longman to find the strongest technical, intermediate, and pastoral commentaries on whatever I'm preaching.

Theology: Bavinck and Turretin

Posts 251
Rod Bergen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 2:53 PM

I agree with most of the above but am surprised that no one has mentioned the Tim Keller sermon archive.  It's right up there with John Piper.

Posts 8333
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 3:33 PM

Taxee:

I agree with most of the above but am surprised that no one has mentioned the Tim Keller sermon archive.  It's right up there with John Piper.

If it was cheaper it'd be on my list, but too expensive at the moment. I will add Carson's sermons once they come out of prepub.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 3:41 PM

Taxee:

I'm not sure that I can say that Keller is just as good as Piper.  I have found Piper to be much more helpful in structure and insight.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 4:26 PM

Taxee:

I value the Piper and Carson archives over Keller. Its just me.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8333
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 4:55 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Taxee:

I value the Piper and Carson archives over Keller. Its just me.

Same here. You do get more value with Piper and Carson for your money. I would even go as far as saying that Carson and Piper are better than Keller and McArthur combined, but that's just my personal opinion based on the few works I own from each individual.

DAL

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 1:36 AM
  1. NASB
  2. Greek NT 
  3. Hebrew/Aramaic OT
  4. BDAG/HALOT
  5. Anchor dictionary / IVP dictionaries series
  6. Word Biblical Commentaries

I know it's more than 5 but I would consider these the most essential and they are also the ones I use the most day in and day out.

A different list would be by type:

1. Modern languages Bibles
  2. Ancient languages Bibles
  3. Lexical resources
  4. Bible Dictionaries (advanced rather than basic ones)
  5. Commentaries
  6. Essential Bible reference tools (Nave's, NTSK)
  7. Theological dictionaries
Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 7:33 AM

Taxee:

Check the third post, page 1.  I did mention it, and I agree that Keller is useful. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 7:42 AM

I would advise against excessive dependence on any one author's thinking (such as may happen with sermon series or other extensive author collections). An author that becomes too big in your mind is either one who tells you what you want to hear, or one that becomes a substitute for developing your own ability to reach solid conclusions based on solid study, or worse, an idol. It is an opinion, for what it's worth, and I know that I will probably draw a wave of dissent and attempts at refutation. Nevertheless, I hope it can help you think through the kind of resources you need most. 

Posts 43
Brandon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 4:19 PM

Dave Moser:

Thank you for the link you provided that shows how to make an application collection. This is extremely helpful. It makes me wonder, are there any other custom collections like this that would be helpful to appear in the guides? If so, can you include the search string? 

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 7:11 PM

Francis:

I would advise against excessive dependence on any one author's thinking (such as may happen with sermon series or other extensive author collections). An author that becomes too big in your mind is either one who tells you what you want to hear, or one that becomes a substitute for developing your own ability to reach solid conclusions based on solid study, or worse, an idol. It is an opinion, for what it's worth, and I know that I will probably draw a wave of dissent and attempts at refutation. Nevertheless, I hope it can help you think through the kind of resources you need most. 

This is solid advice Francis. We should read across authors, denominations and time periods - with our eyes wide open of course.  The gospel was inspired to be written for us from four viewpoints, and we have epistles from multiple authors that emphasise different things and look at the same topic from different angles. and that's just the NT. 

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 8:02 PM

DAL and a couple other have mentioned Dictionary of Biblical Imagery.  I used it a lot.  The Bible is full of images and each article gives you a big picture of a theme, which helps round out the Biblical worldview/theology.  The articles/images gave me inspiration and creativeness for my sermons.

ISBE is a standard, "evangelical" encyclopedia with articles on everything from people to places to theology.  It is a good place to start.

I agree with those who've encouraged you to get a good basic base package.  Not sure if you want to go with a particular theological bent (ie, Pentecostal, Wesleyan etc) or just "Standard."  But you get quality resources for a good price.  You might tally up some of the resources people have mentioned and see which of them might be either in a base package or bundle (notice on the right of a product page it will often say: "this title is included . . ." such as ISBE (1979--) is in the "timeline collection" and Wesleyan or Reformed Gold, among others)

It's somewhat about particular resources as it is "types" of resources.  For instance, I might like ISBE and AYDB (each has a slant and strength), but what I need for sure is a decent encyclopedia and bible dictionary set.  I found these general tools standard go tos in ministry and sermon prep:

1.  Bible/Concordance

2. Bible Encyclopedia/Dictionary

3. Commentary set (varying mixes of quality, practicality, affordability, depth)

4. Dictionary of Theological Terms (always encountering words in my commentaries and dictionaries that I did not know/remember)

5 Good Atlas 

6. Counseling set/series

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I LOVED Elwell's Evangelical Dictionary of Theology.  Well written articles that explained theology and thinkers.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 43
Brandon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 30 2016 4:34 PM

Friedrich:

DAL and a couple other have mentioned Dictionary of Biblical Imagery.  I used it a lot.  The Bible is full of images and each article gives you a big picture of a theme, which helps round out the Biblical worldview/theology.  The articles/images gave me inspiration and creativeness for my sermons.

ISBE is a standard, "evangelical" encyclopedia with articles on everything from people to places to theology.  It is a good place to start.

I agree with those who've encouraged you to get a good basic base package.  Not sure if you want to go with a particular theological bent (ie, Pentecostal, Wesleyan etc) or just "Standard."  But you get quality resources for a good price.  You might tally up some of the resources people have mentioned and see which of them might be either in a base package or bundle (notice on the right of a product page it will often say: "this title is included . . ." such as ISBE (1979--) is in the "timeline collection" and Wesleyan or Reformed Gold, among others)

It's somewhat about particular resources as it is "types" of resources.  For instance, I might like ISBE and AYDB (each has a slant and strength), but what I need for sure is a decent encyclopedia and bible dictionary set.  I found these general tools standard go tos in ministry and sermon prep:

1.  Bible/Concordance

2. Bible Encyclopedia/Dictionary

3. Commentary set (varying mixes of quality, practicality, affordability, depth)

4. Dictionary of Theological Terms (always encountering words in my commentaries and dictionaries that I did not know/remember)

5 Good Atlas 

6. Counseling set/series

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I LOVED Elwell's Evangelical Dictionary of Theology.  Well written articles that explained theology and thinkers.

Thank you Friedrich that is very helpful.

And thank you everyone for quality responses. Transitioning to Logos can be daunting at first but this community has made it much easier.

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS